Do I have bad memory or am I just getting older?

I feel that over the past couple years it's been more difficult for me to remember things.

I don't mean events or things that have happened but more so details or things I've talked about.

For example, I'll talk to one of my friends and I'll tell them about a story or something and not know if I've already told them or not.

The same goes for when people tell me things, have it be something that happened, or something about themselves.

I don't know if it's just as I'm getting older, my brain space capacity only has room for so much so I just negate things and naturally filter things out.

Or maybe as I'm getting older, I just care less? I don't care to remember, although I'd like to?

When I was younger, I was always great at listening and remembering details about someone, like

"oh, they like chocolate, so and so hates this, they grew up over here, etc".

Last edited:
13.jpg

I think it's normal. When you get older you have to juggle so many things, so the things that aren't worth remembering are forgotten. 

do you remember the name of you kindergarten or first grade teacher?

Probably.

There was a time when I was younger my memory was mad sharp. Now not so much, I too began to notice the change.

Don't know if it's a change in diet, less/more or different activity, or just natural aging.

I know I'll have a real problem when I start leaving my keys and wallet at places or lock keys in the car.

Eat salmon and ginkgo like mentioned above. I have a bad memory as well and I think adding these to my diet more have helped. It could be placebo though.

do you remember the name of you kindergarten or first grade teacher?

nope,

I don't even remember the names of some people i went to high school with or previously worked with.

that's probably b/c i don't give a **** about 'em tho.

Yeah, I really can't tell if it's just because it's all insignificant and there's just so much knowledge built up over the years.

I used to take pride in knowing about people, kind of bummed out.

Does anyone have any experience with all those pills and such?

I'd imagine you'd pretty much just have to take them for the rest of your life kind of thing?

Yeah, I really can't tell if it's just because it's all insignificant and there's just so much knowledge built up over the years.

I'd imagine you'd pretty much just have to take them for the rest of your life kind of thing?

First of all, those pills (and anything like them) are bogus. They do nothing. It's all "Wisdom of the Orient" crap with no basis in science.

As for being around awhile, the reason a year feels shorter in your 30s is because the length doesn't feel as significant as it does at, say, 12 years old. Also, you're more in control of your life as an adult. When you're 12, almost all decisions are kinda made for you.

Man my memory is shot and I'm 29. I legit don't be remembering stuff that coulda happen 2 months ago.

I have a strong memory except I'd be forgetting password to some of my online stuff tho.

nope,

I don't even remember the names of some people i went to high school with or previously worked with.

that's probably b/c i don't give a **** about 'em tho.
same as me. not so much that my memory is failing, more like i just don't give a crap about most things to devote memory space to it. when it comes to doing things for my son or with my wife, i remember it.

know what's funny tho? I was thinking about how I can't recall certain people's names just earlier today.

synchronicity is a funny phenomenon.

Memory is shot.. I always lose the damn remote.. :rofl:

Misplacing a remote doesn't even count. People do that all the time because the remote is ultimately a meaningless object. And, you know you'll find it eventually.

I've been pondering this lately also as I'm getting older. How old are you OP? I believe in my case, it is due to tiredness from work and and the importance of what I should or should not remember. If it's something not really important, i'll probably process the info, and forget it within the next few mins...

I thought it was just me. I remember there being a supplement discussed on NPR a few years ago that had promising research and few side effects but of course, I don't remember anything else

Back
Top Bottom