Do Teams Win Championships Without At Least 2 Legitimate All Stars??

They can do but its a rarity lets look back 15 years

94-Hakeem
95-Hakeem and Drexler
96,97,98-Jordan and Pippen
99-Duncan and Robinson
00,01,02-Shaq and Kobe
03-Duncan( But he had an emerging Tony Parker and Stephen Jackson and Malik Rose was giving them double figures)
04-They didnt have any All-Stars but Ben Wallace was the best defensive player in the leauge and they were like 7 deep in good players.
05-Duncan and Ginobli(With Tony Parker)
06-Shaq and Wade
07-Duncan,Ginobli
08-Garnett ,Pierce and Allen

Basically you need 2 All Star caliber players or you need a team that is playing together like 1994 Rockets or 2004 Pistons.

Championship teams have to have balance All-Around to compliment their star player (with the expception of the 2003-04 Pistons team). Looking at the the pastchampions each team had a star player, role players, key bench players, defense and great coaching. We've were spoiled with MJ & Pippen and Shaq &Kobe, however looking at those teams and other past champions each player knew his role and the coach was able to utilize the strengths of his players.

I feel if the Cavaliers had better complimentary players for LeBron it would be no question who would win the East. But until he gets a solid bench and betterrole players around him they won't win a championship.

I'm sorry LeBron can't win a 'chip with West, Mo Williams, Floppin Varejao and a weak bench and Coach Mike Brown. Take LeBron away from the Cavsand you have a sub .500 team. Take the star player from past champions and ask yourself what you have. Granted not all teams are the same but you see whatI'm saying about the role players.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

94-Hakeem
95-Hakeem and Drexler
99-Duncan and Robinson
00,01,02-Shaq and Kobe
03-Duncan( But he had an emerging Tony Parker and Stephen Jackson and Malik Rose was giving them double figures)
04-They didnt have any All-Stars but Ben Wallace was the best defensive player in the leauge and they were like 7 deep in good players.
06-Shaq and Wade
07-Duncan,Ginobli

Basically you need 2 All Star caliber players or you need a team that is playing together like 1994 Rockets or 2004 Pistons.
07 Finals MVP not good enough for ya? :tongue:

I look at it like a team has to have two players who are top 5 at their position.

Celtics had KG (PF) and Pierce (SF)
Spurs had Parker (PG) and TD (PF)
Heat had Shaq (C) and Wade (SG)
Pistons were the exception - they had Big Ben, who was a top 5 center. To make up for not having another top 5 position player, they had a bunch of top 10position guys - Billups (he wasn't a top 5 PG yet), Hamilton and Rasheed.
Lakers had Shaq and Kobe

So the Cavs have a tough battle to make it with that supporting cast. The Lakers and Nuggets are the only two teams left who have the top 5 guys (Kobe/Gasoland Billups/Carmelo). The Magic are interesting. They are kinda like the Spurs before TP emerged as a top PG and I see Turkoglu playing the Ginobili role.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Legitimate and Mo Williams do not belong in the same sentence together.

I think this is the year two superstars wont be need I dont I see any of the four teams with two superstars.

94-Hakeem
95-Hakeem and Drexler
99-Duncan and Robinson
00,01,02-Shaq and Kobe
06-Shaq and Wade
07-Duncan,Ginobli

Ben Wallace was on the 2004 team. No Drexler in 1995.

Duamars and Isaiah were 17.1 PER players both of them.

Isaiah upped it it to 20.1 in the playoffs but Dumars never cracked 20 in his career.

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

Tony Parker & Giniobli are all-star caliber players though.
but they wasnt up until the Spurs last championship....

if you remember, the 2nd championship that the Spurs won, they was trying to trading Parker that offseason because of his liabilities...he was horribledefensively (and still really cant guard nobody), wasnt a good passer, and couldnt shoot outside about 15 feet. He aint really break out a truley elite playeruntil a few years ago...

Obviously you cant win a championship with nobody. But pretty much everybody else had a hall-of-fame 2 by their side. Duncan won 4 w/o that level of a2nd star...no player has won more with less, ever. Those teams were filled with washed up great/good players, a PG who aint have it put together yet, and roleplayers...

That 03 playoffs/championship, the next best player on that team (Parker) averaged 14 points & 3 assists my dude
eek.gif
sick.gif
. Duncan put up about 25-15-5-3, led the team in everything except steals.

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

if you remember, the 2nd championship that the Spurs won, they was trying to trading Parker that offseason because of his liabilities...he was horrible defensively (and still really cant guard nobody), wasnt a good passer, and couldnt shoot outside about 15 feet. He aint really break out a truley elite player until a few years ago...

Obviously you cant win a championship with nobody. But pretty much everybody else had a hall-of-fame 2 by their side. Duncan won 4 w/o that level of a 2nd star...no player has won more with less, ever. Those teams were filled with washed up great/good players, a PG who aint have it put together yet, and role players...

That 03 playoffs/championship, the next best player on that team (Parker) averaged 14 points & 3 assists my dude
eek.gif
sick.gif
Thank you! Somebody realizes this. All this talk of Tony Parker being a HOF point guard or being better than Manu.
laugh.gif

Manu is the second bast player on the Spurs but he wasn't quite Manu yet during the second championship by the third one he was.

if you remember, the 2nd championship that the Spurs won, they was trying to trading Parker that offseason because of his liabilities...he was horrible defensively (and still really cant guard nobody), wasnt a good passer, and couldnt shoot outside about 15 feet. He aint really break out a truley elite player until a few years ago...

Obviously you cant win a championship with nobody. But pretty much everybody else had a hall-of-fame 2 by their side. Duncan won 4 w/o that level of a 2nd star...no player has won more with less, ever. Those teams were filled with washed up great/good players, a PG who aint have it put together yet, and role players...

eek.gif
sick.gif
QFT.. i was just saying this in another thread.

that 2003 Spurs team was completely inexperienced... Duncan straight up CARRIED them to the championship.

IMO, 1994 Hakeem and 2003 Duncan did the most with the least.

You need atleast two stars .

If any team in the NBA won a championship , you could name atleast two players that took them there .

One player can't do it by himself .

that 2003 Spurs team was completely inexperienced... Duncan straight up CARRIED them to the championship.

Remember that Game 6 clinching game tho? 21 points, 20 boards, 10 assists, 8 blocks.
sick.gif

IMO, 1994 Hakeem and 2003 Duncan did the most with the least.

yup...

If any team in the NBA won a championship , you could name atleast two players that took them there .
you havent read thru this thread huh?

I dont think the 94 Rockets or 89 Pistons weaken OKB's argument. Those title runs occured 15-20 years ago. The NBA is completely different then from whatit is now (salaries, rule changes, strategies, etc.). For the most part, OKB's argument holds up in recent history. I do not consider Mo Williams to be alegitimate All Star however LeBron is capable of carrying this over-rated Cavs squad (without LeBron) to an NBA title.

Remember that Game 6 clinching game tho? 21 points, 20 boards, 10 assists, 8 blocks.
sick.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tmoney85

those pistons and spurs teams played suffocating defense so your argument FAILS miserably.
sick.gif
pimp.gif

As i proceed to watch the Cavs-Magic series the Cavs are not as good as they seem they struggling badly when guy has to average 40 points just for his team tobe in it that's not good a formula to win. Overall the magic have a better team. LeBron needs some help causing averaging 4o points and down 2-1 is not agood look they could be very well down 3-0

Cav's can't do it without that second all-star to compliment LBJ....also COY Mike Brown is getting severly out coached....his team cannot touch theMagic pick n roll......lovin' it!

Originally Posted by therenegade23

94-Hakeem
95-Hakeem and Drexler
99-Duncan and Robinson
00,01,02-Shaq and Kobe
06-Shaq and Wade
07-Duncan,Ginobli

Ben Wallace was on the 2004 team. No Drexler in 1995.

Drexler was still good when the Rockets got him in 1995. He was 3rd team All-NBA. The TrailBlazers were out of contention and honored his trade request theygot Otis Thorpe and a European player.

He was still 20 point scorer.

clyde_drexler_champion.jpg

Back
Top Bottom