Do Teams Win Championships Without At Least 2 Legitimate All Stars??

The Mo Williams team has got me thinking how many teams if any have one championships with at least 2 legitimate all stars. In my opinion the traditional wayto win a championship is to have at least 2 all star players one on the perimeter who can create his own shot and one in the post who when you need it can getyou a basket down low.

For arguments sake lets establish all star level performance at 19.0 PER, I think PER is good enough at establishing tiers of performance.
grin.gif

Lets start with the couple years.

Cavs: Lebron James(31.7)/Mo Williams (17.1)

Celtics: Kevin Garnett(25.3)/Paul Peirce(19.6)
Spurs: Tim Duncan(26.1)/Manu Ginobili(24.1)
Heat: Shaquille O'neal(24.4)/Dwayne Wade(27.6)
Spurs: Tim Duncan(27.0)/Manu Ginobili(22.3)
Spurs: Tim Duncan(26.9)/-----
Lakers: Shaq(30.6
eek.gif
sick.gif
)/Kobe Bryant*3
Detroit: Raseed Wallace(18.6)/Chancey Billups(18.4)

So the only two teams to do it in the last 10 years were the Spurs and the Pistons, both who had hall of fame coaches and both got a little lucky when theywon. The Pistons got lucky when Karl Malone got injured but even then Chancey and Rasheed are both at 18.6 and that's incredibly close. Also the Spurs gotto play the weakest eastern conference in a while, and a putrid Nets offense.

Going back further the Bulls did with 2 perimeter guys, Hakeem did it with no Jordan around and Magic did it the year Kareem was 39 and almost done.

So it seems that all the teams that did it with only one real all star had Hall of Fame coaches, Larry Brown, Gregg Popovich, Rudy Tomjanovich and Pat Reileyor were facing far inferior competition.

So Cleveland fans gotta ask themselves, how good is Mike Brown?
laugh.gif

those single star teams had very solid overall teams with very solid role players..... and like you said, coaching was also solid.

those pistons and spurs teams played suffocating defense so your argument FAILS miserably.

Mike Brown is getting terribly outcoached. He has to find better avenues to get players better shots than the played out LeBron drive and kick.

That same argument you're making for the Spurs playing a weak eastern conference you can make for the 3 peat Laker teams

That argument is flawed

Originally Posted by Statis22

That same argument you're making for the Spurs playing a weak eastern conference you can make for the 3 peat Laker teams

That argument is flawed
Huh? I said that teams that win without a 2 superstars either got great headcoaching or a weak opponent it seems that supports my argument.

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by ctdaprince

roll.gif
roll.gif
dude put an asterisk beside kobe
roll.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

It means times three, smart guy.

Hakeem proved it's not a necessity.
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

or maybe he is the exception that proves the rule a rule that is true for 9 outta 10 past champions.

david robinson doesnt count? dude was an all star almost every year and an mvp, just not in the year they won the championship, because he took a lesser roleand became more of a defensive minded player and sean elliot was a 2 time all star

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

david robinson doesnt count? dude was an all star almost every year and an mvp, just not in the year they won the championship, because he took a lesser role and became more of a defensive minded player and sean elliot was a 2 time all star
He had a 17.1 PER that year and from the rules I laid out, and Sean Elliot did not qualify either

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

or maybe he is the exception that proves the rule a rule that is true for 9 outta 10 past champions.

Regardless of whether or not it's an exception, that's why it's not an exact science. Is it very unlikely for it to happen with just one legitall-star/superstar? Of course, but Hakeem has proven that wrong, and I'm sure it'll happen again. LeBron could be that good, or maybe he's not,that's what they play the games for.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by Statis22

That argument is flawed
Huh? I said that teams that win without a 2 superstars either got great headcoaching or a weak opponent it seems that supports my argument.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

The Lakers played that same Nets team. So it could have gone either way

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

Anyway, i think the 88-89 Detroit Pistons just had 1 all-star in Isaiah Thomas.
Joe Dumars (whether or not he made the All-Star team that year is irrelevant).

Making it on the All-Star team because the guy ahead of you gets injured doesn't make you "legitimate"

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Were Laimbeer and Dumars all-stars?

If not, they were the best damn role-players not to be all-stars.

They had a lot of all-stars on that team that were either past or future all-stars, Dantley, Aguirre, and then Laimbeer/Dumars. Not to mention Dennis Rodman.

ctdaprince wrote:

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Isiah had two all-defensive 1st teamers, Joe Dumars and Rodman.. All-defense 1st teamer who scores 17 points like Dumars > a bum all-star like Mo Williams.And besides, it's hard to make that claim for Isiah when he wasn't even the Finals MVP that year, Joe D was.

The closest who came to leading the team to a championship by himself is Hakeem in 93-94. I don't know how he did it. Get this:

The #2 highest scorer he had in the 94 playoff run was Vernon Maxwell who averaged 13.8. And he shot .376 from the field. He led the Rockets in assists AS ACENTER in the 94 playoffs. Not to mention points, rebounds, steals and blocks as well.

Tony Parker & Giniobli are all-star caliber players though.
And wasn't Clyde Drexler on the Rockets both years? Or just for the repeat?

Clyde was in decline when the Rockets got him but still a solid player. Rockets won with timely 3 point shooting and defense. Also Hakeem lol

But needing a all-star calibur wing man is not necessarily important if there is balance throughout the lineup

Back
Top Bottom