Do you correct the cashier if you catch them making a mistake in your favor?

Saw this in the cheap thread, and I thought it was a good question...

Let's say you notice the cashier forgets to ring something up for you and places that item in the bag...you fine with it, or do you let them know?

I have a real bad conscious...to me, I just feel as though you never know who's watching, and would rather let someone know if they goofed. Although this is probably irrational and wouldn't matter, I just would feel awful if someone was to get reprimanded behind the scenes for a simple mistake.

Yes, I don't care about karma or people thinking highly of me, I just don't like when mistakes are made on anyone's behalf.

if it's a mom and pop type establishment I would def say something or if I thought it would cost someone their job. Other than that times is hard outchea

Let it go , it's not my job to correct them. In the same senses, All of them don't know how to do basic math , if you hand them the correct amount, after they have done the total. Example 15.35 , they can't sub 35 cents from a dollar.

I've only been given a few extra dollars. My brother used to work at the register at cvs and said each register was allowed to not add up since people make mistakes. Not crazy amounts I assume or they'll think you were taking from the register or you were incompotent.

I used to work at CVS. You could be +/- $3 at the time. I think it may have even been $5 back in the day.

if it's a mom and pop type establishment I would def say something or if I thought it would cost someone their job. Other than that times is hard outchea
THIS. In college I was buying a microwave at Target and some other stuff. Cashier scanned the microwave and all the items , at the end my total was $25. I realized for wtv reason the microwave wasn't on my tab ( Microwave was $130 by itself). I swiped my card for $25 and rolled out of that piece. I consider it a preemptive strike on my part since Target would later go on to mishandle my personal info along with others during Xmas 2013. 

Last edited:
Nope. Shoot...a lot of the time I dont catch it till I look at reciept.

Idk why people are bringing up karma...the register isnt going to come up short because you paid what was rung up so the cashier isnt going to get in any trouble.

Last edited:
yes, peoplee make mistakes and what kind of world would we live in if we didn't help them out...not trying to see anyone get fired

Nah I let them know all the time

I ask "did you ring this up"

Or "I gave you $10 not $20"

Unless it has to do with sneakers :lol:

It depends on several variables. Generally speaking, yes I would. Years ago this wasn't the case.

Depends on the place.

If it's somewhere like Walmart/ Target, I'm not saying a god damn thing. Hell, I stay trying to come up off places like that when a jig occurs :lol:

I remember when Walmart had that online pricing error ~ 2 years back & everything was priced so low cats were ordering everything from speakers to power washers :stoneface: :lol: to TV's that I rushed my *** to like 3 Targets when I got off work (night shift) to try to partake in the price match jig for a new TV.

On the other hand, if it's my local mom & pop burrito spot that I've been going to for years... the circumstances change.

I was actually in this predicament at said place just last week & the cashier was charging me waaaay less than normal & I immediately corrected her.

Couldn't even hook a player up with a free horchata though :smh:

Last edited:
Why would I block god's blessings?

These stores account for **** like that, they don't care at all.

If I catch it myself, then yea, especially in a small/local spot. Sometimes I don't realize it until I leave and get home.

nope. that's a blessing.

or when you order a 20 piece and you got 21 in the bag.

I've only been given a few extra dollars. My brother used to work at the register at cvs and said each register was allowed to not add up since people make mistakes. Not crazy amounts I assume or they'll think you were taking from the register or you were incompotent.
I respect that policy. Nobody is perfect.

And to answer your question, yes I correct the cashier, whether it's in my favor or not.

There were also several instances where I would witness someone in front of me drop a dollar bill on the floor unknowingly. Every time I would pick up the bill, and give it back to them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom