Do you have retirement plans?

- Wife and I have been investing 12% of our income
- We own a rental property, still have 25 years on the mortgage but by the time I'm 60, all of the rental income will be profit
- military disability pension; $2000 in today's dollars that goes up 2-3% annually

Retirement sounds boring. Rather be that old dude with some sort of business to tend to.

You're thinking about it the wrong way. Retirement isn't about sitting around the house, doing nothing. It's about having the freedom to do what you want with your time. 95% of people are in jobs they dislike/barely tolerate and would like to stop working ASAP. If you are in that 5% of people who likes what they're doing and has control over your schedule then there is no need to "retire".

Never understood the "retirement/not working is boring" mentality. Do you guys not have hobbies or something?

I spent the whole month of December burning down unused vacation time at work and I was flourishing. Always found something to keep me busy.

I feel the same way. I've never understood how people get "bored". Working out, reading, traveling (even local travel), learning new skills, spending time with family, volunteering, etc. I could very easily fill my days without a job. I'm fortunate that I don't hate my job and its not too stressful for me but I'm never in a hurry to get back when I have time off. I could easily fill my days for the next several decades without a traditional job.

Last edited:
You're thinking about it the wrong way. Retirement isn't about sitting around the house, doing nothing. It's about having the freedom to do what you want with your time. 95% of people are in jobs they dislike/barely tolerate and would like to stop working ASAP. If you are in that 5% of people who likes what they're doing and has control over your schedule then there is no need to "retire".
I hear what you’re saying. It’s just that when I think of retirement I think of older folks who are too old to do any physical activity or pursue their hobbies. That’s the age where I’d rather be busy handling some business where it doesn’t require me to be physical, just being there to make decisions. I know a few older guys who own stores and they tell me it’s better than sitting around the house.

my plan is for my wife to move up a few more levels at the bank so i can stop working. i’d do what i do now like get everything ready in the morning, make dinner etc. except i would have that big chunk of time in between dropping off the kids and picking them up. probably go fishing everyday.

i haven’t told her my plan yet tho.

I would love to retire now at 35 and pursue hobbies. Realistically, I'm at retiring around 46-50 in a high cost of living city. Helps to not have kids. Been saving like crazy the past 4 years and don't need too much to survive. Will probably quit my high stress job in 5-8 years and work part time for that health insurance.

been working without a retirement plan for years…

got a decent pay raise and i started an ira…looking into starting a 401k too…

my job offers nothing for retirement so it’s all on me.. i’m JUST starting to take it seriously

been working without a retirement plan for years…

got a decent pay raise and i started an ira…looking into starting a 401k too…

my job offers nothing for retirement so it’s all on me.. i’m JUST starting to take it seriously
same here, i gotta start taking this seriously and get some momentum going on it

Hoping some combo of my 401K, IRA, inheritance and UBI allows me to retire before 65, preferably before 60 but I guess we'll see. No kids and all debt has been paid off within the past couple of years so it's possible unless **** really hits the fan in this country.

Remember, the number 1 cause of bankruptcy in the US are medical bills.

So keep saving, keep staying as healthy as possible, and consider moving to a cheaper country with universal healthcare when you can.

Don’t work away the best years of your life just to retire when you’re too old to do anything. Work is BS, enjoy your life!

The plan (operative word) is for max contributions for tax advantaged accounts (401K, HSA, and Roth IRA) as well as continue net contributions to my brokerage account. Am utilizing a dollar cost average investor so I will invest regardless of market performance. Not sure what else can be done besides.

Home ownership is likey a pipedream but I think Im okay with that.

Back
Top Bottom