do you see all the subruban sprawl in major cities eventually becoming urbanized,walkable ,public tr

miami's done a huge 180 in the last 20 years

and cities north of miami are doing the same , can you see

this becoming a major thing to attract more jobs,college graduates

and corporate jobs to places in mostly suburban major cities?

seattle and minneapolis did it the best

good documentary

its something that needs to be addressed. young people are already giving up cars and moving to cities.

http://beta.fool.com/robertbaillieul/2013/06/14/why-are-young-people-driving-less-2/36918/

i ******g hate driving. i see my car as a money pit between maintenance, gas, insurance and such. **** that. i drive maybe < 30 miles per week, if i can help it. i take public transit 30 + miles to my office when i go in and its cheaper and more reliable than dealing with that ****

suburban sprawl has ****** this country in so many ways.

"walkability" is potentially very expensive though. the most walkable neighborhood in the district, Dupont Circle, has housing prices that run in the millions and rents going for $2000+ for a one bedroom apartment.

Last edited:
its something that needs to be addressed. young people are already giving up cars and moving to cities.

http://beta.fool.com/robertbaillieul/2013/06/14/why-are-young-people-driving-less-2/36918/

i ******g hate driving. i see my car as a money pit between maintenance, gas, insurance and such. **** that. i drive maybe < 30 miles per week, if i can help it. i take public transit 30 + miles to my office when i go in and its cheaper and more reliable than dealing with that ****

"walkability" is potentially very expensive though. the most walkable neighborhood in the district, Dupont Circle, has housing prices that run in the millions and rents going for $2000+ for a one bedroom apartment.
theres main streets in miami that HUGE  , i think florida has the larget car/pedestrian accidents in the country

they keep adding lanes to stop traffic but it really isn't helping the way bike lanes would

one example is

If by Suburban you mean purely housing that looks identical to one another with a huge mall or shopping outlet accessible only by driving? Then no. 

If you mean general urban sprawl that is near a city but mostly residential, then yes.

If by Suburban you mean purely housing that looks identical to one another with a huge mall or shopping outlet accessible only by driving? Then no. 

If you mean general urban sprawl that is near a city but mostly residential, then yes.
more so the second

Actually da phenomenon is reversing itself,

People are leaving da burbs and coming back

To da city. There's a book chronicling da recent

Migration...

Actually da phenomenon is reversing itself,

People are leaving da burbs and coming back

To da city. There's a book chronicling da recent

Migration...
i always felt like new yorks days where numbered , seems like theres backlash

now as opposed to 93' to mid 2000's giuliani and elliot spitzer where the best

things for that city

Agreed. Shout outs to Henry Ford.

The way South Florida was layed is idiotic. I don't see how the burbs could become anything like the city areas unless they're razed and rebuilt to be more compact and walkable. Everything is so spread out and the public transportation system down here is still a joke and will be for a long time. In Broward a train network to connect downtown Ft. Lauderdale to as far west as Sawgrass Mills was proposed. Last I checked they're moving forward with the plan by installing streetcar lines as well as employing express buses to make mass transit more streamlined and faster. Even still, im skeptical but time will tell.

I can't speak to Dade so much as I was never really in tune with what they were trying to do down there but the local government in Broward more specifically Ft. Lauderdale are filled with morons I just hope they don't screw this up.

Last edited:
Agreed. Shout outs to Henry Ford.

The way South Florida was layed is idiotic. I don't see how the burbs could become anything like the city areas unless they're razed and rebuilt to be more compact and walkable. Everything is so spread out and the public transportation system down here is still a joke and will be for a long time. In Broward a train network to connect downtown Ft. Lauderdale to as far west as Sawgrass Mills was proposed. Last I checked they're moving forward with the plan by installing streetcar lines as well as employing express buses to make mass transit more streamlined and faster. Even still, im skeptical but time will tell.

I can't speak to Dade so much as I was never really in tune with what they were trying to do down there but the local government in Broward more specifically Ft. Lauderdale are filled with morons I just hope they don't screw this up.
kendall,doral.......SOOOO MANY LANES

the downtown dadeland area by the metrorail is making an effort to urbanize but they pricing themselves

like its brickell or coral gables and thats a shame because if that place could flourish i can see it changing

the way the city constructs in the future.

Last edited:
Not everybody likes to drive.
this....its only convenient in rural areas or for car enthusiasts who enjoy them

being in traffic , getting into a highway and parking twice a day plus gas,insurance,car note

is stressful...however its a necessity at the moment down here if you want any kind

of quality situation

Yea I use to be on that man, I love driving! tip but I would gladly use mass transit if it made sense.

how would suburban sprawl become urbanized and walkable when it wasnt built to be walkable in the first place? the mcmansion areas are like a maze, theres absolutely  no street grid.

i live in a region that has completely been screwed by white flight/suburban sprawl. it pisses me off that in a metro that is stagnant in population they still build these new suburban developments way out while continuing to raze any semblance of urban/historic buildings left. not to mention the lack of support for public transit
tired.gif

Reactions: wr
kendall,doral.......SOOOO MANY LANES

the downtown dadeland area by the metrorail is making an effort to urbanize but they pricing themselves
like its brickell or coral gables and thats a shame because if that place could flourish i can see it changing
the way the city constructs in the future.

They need to rehash the bus service. It's insane the walk have to do to get to a bus stop, and then the wait is ridiculous. But then again I'm used to NYC public transportation, no waiting twenty minutes for a bus during the day, the bx9 and bx12 where coming through like every five minutes.

how would suburban sprawl become urbanized and walkable when it wasnt built to be walkable in the first place? the mcmansion areas are like a maze, theres absolutely  no street grid.

i live in a region that has completely been screwed by white flight/suburban sprawl. it pisses me off that in a metro that is stagnant in population they still build these new suburban developments way out while continuing to raze any semblance of urban/historic buildings left. not to mention the lack of support for public transit
tired.gif
it sucks bro

The suburbs are like the projects of the future.

Esp in a lot of tose one way in one way out neighborhoods.

The uban development of the US was built around making us a driving nation.

The plan with suburban sprawl was to get you to spend more on gas and transportation.

This is what the captains of industry dreamed about. Only problem was that their streamlined visions of market dominance would be extremely obnoxious and restrictive to future generations.

We really don;t care for the visions of men from the 1800's dictating daily life in 2013

Back
Top Bottom