Do you think folks from NYC stand out more than other people from different cities in the US?

I'm talking about folks from NYC visiting other cities....

Went out to eat last night coming back from my cousins house in VA, and me and my girl saw this dude rocking some timbs and shorts.  Jokingly, I said "I bet he's from New York."  We went to pay for our food and the same guy was in front of us in line...we decided to ask where he was from, he said he was from Queens. 
laugh.gif
  He asked how we knew, and we told him the boots/shorts combo was a dead giveaway.  He was cracking up. 

Another quick story....I was in Bradenton, FL a few years back watching another cousin of mine play in a baseball pre-season tourney.  There were teams from all over.  One of the teams just had a look to them like they were from one of the boroughs.  Turns out they were from Staten Island. 

Can you see random people out and about and think "that person is from LA....that person is from Chicago"...etc etc.  I'm tellin yall....NYers got a distinct look about them
laugh.gif

Do people ask if you're from NY?? I remember you saying you're from Queens or went to St. Johns.

Yes, easiest accent + demeanor/swag to just pick out of a crowd. Most other ones, you can maybe guess a region like someone seems like they're from the South, but New Yorkers just stand out.

Haven't had much encounters with NY ppl honestly 
I wanna say that the Bay Area is home of the most distinct culture on the West Coast
Cliche example, but you slip one "hella" into your words, and people already know where you're from 

Yes, I'm b(i)ased 
pimp.gif

Yeah I get that when I'm in the South.  When I was there in the Winter, they knew I was from NYC because I had on a Champion hoody, ACG's  and carried myself like I was better than everyone else.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Yeah I get that when I'm in the South.  When I was there in the Winter, they knew I was from NYC because I had on a Champion hoody, ACG's  and carried myself like I was better than everyone else.
pimp.gif

cause we are better than everyone else 
laugh.gif

Anytime I go anywhere outside of NYC, people always ask me or know that I'm from NYC, it's pretty crazy. I don't have an accent or anything like that, guess it's just the way we carry ourselves.

Yeah we can tell. Most of you walk around with a snobbish attitude and %%!##% accent.

I have no clue
laugh.gif
no one has ever asked me. Being from NY though, I can sure tell who is from the city when I'm in other states. A lot of folks like to make it known.

Originally Posted by calikev34

Haven't had much encounters with NY ppl honestly 
I wanna say that the Bay Area is home of the most distinct culture on the West Coast
Cliche example, but you slip one "hella" into your words, and people already know where you're from 

Yes, I'm b(i)ased 
pimp.gif

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

yeah based on what I wear. Of course the accent too tho.
IMO everyone else sounds weird.

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

Originally Posted by MastaMind033

Anytime I go anywhere outside of NYC, people always ask me or know that I'm from NYC, it's pretty crazy. I don't have an accent or anything like that, guess it's just the way we carry ourselves.

there's been a influx of new yorkers and californians moving to detroit....i've been in detroit THIS time for almost a year.

but one thing for sure, new yorkers are HATED low-key.

...get treated like every second of the day we gotta exhibit "super new york powers" that upholds to some hidden hype that we don't know about.

you just can't be normal and chill 
laugh.gif

@mastermind033...dudes still hitting you with 90's slang? 
laugh.gif
I haven't been to Detroit in a couple years (some family is out there) but last time I went, people were definitely giving me %@#+ for being a New Yorker. I wasn't even being obnoxious or trying to let everybody know I'm from Queens, some dudes just really don't like us for some reason and yea, some of them were acting like idiots and calling me kicko, which actually was pretty funny.

Not anymore that anyone else visiting another city. People from that city can always tell when you're not from there.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Yeah we can tell. Most of you walk around with a snobbish attitude and %%!##% accent.

Why are "New Yorkers" or people from the North always assumed to act like this. I just can see how we sound stuck up compared to other areas in the country.

just came back from a cruise...left outta miami (im from NY)...everyone on the cruise knew me and my people were from NY. they didnt need to ask...maybe it was the "accent" or just the way we carry ourselves. respected by many while we were on vaca,but also hated by many
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom