Do you think Kobe has a shot at passing Kareem?

1st and foremost, I hate the Lakers w/ a passion and i'm not a Kobe fan by any means.

However, I got in a debate w/ a friend on if Kobe can pass Kareem as the all time leading scorer in the NBA.

Right now he's ranked 12th. Another 2,000 point season and he'll be ranked 6th.

This has been probably his most injury prone season and he's still played more than 70 games. I think w/ his work ethic and history he may be able to pull it off or come close.

[table][tr][th=""]Rank[/th][th=""]Player[/th][th=""]PTS[/th][/tr][tr][td]1.[/td][td]Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*[/td][td]38387[/td][/tr][tr][td]2.[/td][td]Karl Malone[/td][td]36928[/td][/tr][tr][td]3.[/td][td]Michael Jordan*[/td][td]32292[/td][/tr][tr][td]4.[/td][td]Wilt Chamberlain*[/td][td]31419[/td][/tr][tr][td]5.[/td][td]Shaquille O'Neal[/td][td]28255[/td][/tr][tr][td]6.[/td][td]Moses Malone*[/td][td]27409[/td][/tr][tr][td]7.[/td][td]Elvin Hayes*[/td][td]27313[/td][/tr][tr][td]8.[/td][td]Hakeem Olajuwon*[/td][td]26946[/td][/tr][tr][td]9.[/td][td]Oscar Robertson*[/td][td]26710[/td][/tr][tr][td]10.[/td][td]Dominique Wilkins*[/td][td]26668[/td][/tr][tr][td]11.[/td][td]John Havlicek*[/td][td]26395[/td][/tr][tr][td]12.[/td][td]Kobe Bryant[/td][td]25723[/td][/tr][/table]

i dont think he cares much because he knows Lebron  will be breaking all those scoring records anyway
laugh.gif

Huge longshot.

He would need basically six more seasons of 2,000 points (or over 24 PPG in an 82 game season) to get to Kareem. He'll be 32 next season with a ton of tread. And would need to stay healthy in his mid to late 30's (seemingly the hardest time to do so).

I think he'll be up there though.

I would also bet he is fully aware where he sits on these lists.

i think he could six more years.... he will obviously have 40 up there at times... its possible.

It's a little early to be talkin about this, but we're getting close. 

3 more years of 2K points gets him near Jordan.  Does he have the time to get yet another 6K after that?  I dunno, long shot. 

All depends on how long he can hold on to 27-28 per game, before he starts dropping down into the 24-25 per game range. 

His garbage free throw percentage this year has hurt his cause big time, as well as missing a few games.  If he had those 5 games back, he'd be inching to 26,000 before the end of the year this year, rather then falling short.  5 games here and there will make a big difference at the end of his career. 

We also don't know about work stoppages and all that stuff.  One of those happens, lotta numbers are gonna screech to a halt around the league. 

We'll have a clearer idea in about 2 years of where he can get too.  My personal guess is he doesn't make it too Malone.  But if he plays til he's 40 or whatever at 30 minutes a night gettin 17-18 a game, he could make a big run.  But that's a long ways away. 

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Huge longshot.

He would need basically six more seasons of 2,000 points (or over 24 PPG in an 82 game season) to get to Kareem. He'll be 32 next season with a ton of tread. And would need to stay healthy in his mid to late 30's (seemingly the hardest time to do so).

I think he'll be up there though.

I would also bet he is fully aware where he sits on these lists.

Here's why I think its possible..Nash and Kidd are still playing at a high level in their late 30s. Kobe has at least 3 more seasons of scoring at least 2300 points plus the remainder of this season and the playoffs.
For example Jordan still average 28ppg when he was 34, sat out 4 years and still averaged 23ppg @ 38.

with his work ethic and conditioning he could be a top player in the league for another 4-5 years and a very good player for a few after that.

if he stays healthy and decides to play until hes 38 or 39 its possible.

Lebron will most likely break the scoring record though because even though him and kobe both came into the league out of high school, Lebron was his teams number 1 option since day 1.

with the 1 year college rule now, players aren't comming into the league as young as before so after kobe and lebron finish up, i have a feeling whatever amount of points they finish with won't be touched for a long time.

I hope not, kareems a bad mamma jamma...he scored all those points with no 3s. WHERE DEY DO DAT AT? lol

Hell to the no.

Hope he doesnt try either, i'd hate to see him chasin a record as a shell of his former self.

he has about 3-4 years left in him. i dont think he'll make it.

Do playoff points count towards this too?
nerd.gif

Most likely won't happen. But you never know with Kobe, he might play untill he is over 40.

Originally Posted by Kookcle

i dont think he cares much because he knows Lebron  will be breaking all those scoring records anyway
laugh.gif
Enough said. I think Durant has a chance too.

Back
Top Bottom