do you think nirvana is underrated , overrated or properly rated?

their impact is what it is and theres no debating that

but musically i cant help but feel they're overrated ...is anyone on here old enough to remember them in they releasing new music? what was it like? dave grohl on the drums is honestly the best part of their music for me , how do you guy's rank them looking back

Last edited:
I think most stuff gets overrate over time. A lot of albums garner attention over time that wasn't there when the album first dropped. However I do feel like Nirvana is overrated to a certain sense because of Cobain's death but I do feel like had he lived he would have been a huge force.

These dudes and Pearl Jam completely changed and defined mainstream rock. Before they got big the MTV look/sound was those hair bands and David Lee Roth type cats.

Then these dudes came in representing that Grunge wave and completely shook up popular culture.

They effectively put a stamp on what the sound and look of what the 90's were gonna be for youth culture.

Last edited:
Not a fan.

I don't like Pearl Jam either. I actually think my old NT name was entirely deleted because someone reported me for saying some nasty things about them.

I put Nirvana in the same group I put BIG.

Average music, overhyped by death.

Not a fan.

I don't like Pearl Jam either. I actually think my old NT name was entirely deleted because someone reported me for saying some nasty things about them.
pearl jam is that trash and i want to punch eddie's vedders faces more than henry rollins

The definition of overrated to the point they're underrated. They weren't musical geniuses (except for Grohl, maybe), but neither is Bob Dylan. Yet, we still worship him.

Properly rated in most aspects. Music Hipsters think it's cool to listen to Nirvana & Wu tang. Sidenote: I once went on a date & the chick wore a nirvana shirt...We started talkin' about it & she couldn't tell me a song off "bleach". Kinda pissed me off :lol:

Anywho..The big deal with Nirvana is that they were unlike anything that had come out in the mainstream at the time (I emphasize mainstream). Cobain didn't ask for his popularity(It lead to his demise).

They filled a niche that was needed in the music industry at the time. Most people didn't really relate to all of that crap that was in the mainstream in the 80s.

Basically, Nirvana filled a niche that may seem cliche and overwrought now but that was grossly lacking at the time: angst. Despite what anyone may think of it, it's something that most everyone can relate to.

There's also a huge difference between the corporate "emo" crap that is basically all just manufactured, scene angst, and "true" angst, where people actually speak about pain that people can relate to rather than just whining about how horrible their lives are.

Nirvana falls more into the "true angst" category, when the whole corporate angst fad hadn't yet caught on. People tend to confuse any kind of angst with whining. Just because something is angsty doesn't mean it's whiny.

If you like Kurt, Check out the album "hole - live through this". Kurt pretty much influenced the entire thing.

Last edited:
A lil overrated but definitely has some classic songs.

Come As You Are is just beautiful.

Can we turn this into a 90's rock appreciation thread? Who else on NT listens to PJ Harvey? :nerd:

I think most stuff gets overrate over time. A lot of albums garner attention over time that wasn't there when the album first dropped. However I do feel like Nirvana is overrated to a certain sense because of Cobain's death but I do feel like had he lived he would have been a huge force.

All of this.

^ I love me some PJ Harvey

But yea I agree. Nirvana is dumb Overrated. They have some great songs but I dont think their overall catalog matches their legacy.

pearl jam is that trash and i want to punch eddie's vedders faces more than henry rollins

Reported.

JK.

I believe Nirvana are properly rated when it comes to their impact and the quality of music. For as many people overrate them, their are just as many people who think they are trash. To me Kurt was a great song writer and Dave was/is a great drummer, they made music people have been playing almost 20 years after Cobain's death and will probably still be listening to another 20 years from now.

^ I love me some PJ Harvey

But yea I agree. Nirvana is dumb Overrated. They have some great songs but I dont think their overall catalog matches their legacy.

I knew I couldn't be the only one on NT that listened to PJ. :pimp:

Man I'm about to make a damn appreciation post for this woman, I don't think you understand how much I love this woman.

Bought several of her albums on ITunes. TBYML is definitely her masterpiece imo. :pimp:

I was put onto them by my brother. I think they were properly rated. It was and will always be an amazing group that led to some amazing groups. 

And the music is timeless. 

I dont think they're underrated but they're def not overrated.
same, Nirvana's music always made me feel depressed in a sad way as a preteen and early teenager. maybe that was the point but I prefer gloomy music where those feels end up being diverted. to be fair their trajectory was cut very short. AFA the Pearl Jam talk is concerned they're good but I much prefer Soundgarden or STP.

Back
Top Bottom