Do you think plants can feel pain?

i dont think they got a nervous system or anything like that though
nerd.gif

correct me if im wrong
laugh.gif

regardless of the lack of a nervous system if you take a razor blade to a (smallish) plant it will react to that similar to how we would to being cut open...albeit much slower

I think so... some plants will close up when you try to touch them so I think they can feel things...

Try arguing with a vegetarian that they are killing/hurting plants...

Plants can "show" pain. For example if you give your plant too much nutrients it will show nute burn on its leaves.

Plants do not have a "brain" which is what processes "pain"...they aren't sentient creatures like human either, nor feel pain like animals.

They have foliage and other parts that are meant to die. Fruit, vegetables and grains are meant to fall off and die to "spread seed".

We could talk about their lack of central nervous systems, nociceptors, etc. but let me just ask this:

What is the evolutionary benefit of pain for an inherently immobile life form?  In sentient creatures, pain avoidance promotes self-preservation.  How would a pain-sensing plant be more likely to survive and reproduce than a plant that's incapable of feeling pain?
some plants will close up when you try to touch them so I think they can feel things... 

By your logic, the automatic sliding door in front of your local 7-11 feels pain. 

Originally Posted by Method Man

We could talk about their lack of central nervous systems, nociceptors, etc. but let me just ask this:

What is the evolutionary benefit of pain for an inherently immobile life form?  In sentient creatures, pain avoidance promotes self-preservation.  How would a pain-sensing plant be more likely to survive and reproduce than a plant that's incapable of feeling pain?
some plants will close up when you try to touch them so I think they can feel things... 
By your logic, the automatic sliding door in front of your local 7-11 feels pain. 

feel things and feel pain are two different things

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom