Do you think plants can feel pain?

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

Originally Posted by Method Man

some plants will close up when you try to touch them so I think they can feel things... 
By your logic, the automatic sliding door in front of your local 7-11 feels pain. 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That was  pretty good [/color]
laugh.gif

We could talk about their lack of central nervous systems, nociceptors, etc. but let me just ask this:

What is the evolutionary benefit of pain for an inherently immobile life form?  In sentient creatures, pain avoidance promotes self-preservation.  How would a pain-sensing plant be more likely to survive and reproduce than a plant that's incapable of feeling pain?
some plants will close up when you try to touch them so I think they can feel things... 
By your logic, the automatic sliding door in front of your local 7-11 feels pain. 

Im weak
roll.gif
roll.gif

We could talk about their lack of central nervous systems, nociceptors, etc. but let me just ask this:

What is the evolutionary benefit of pain for an inherently immobile life form?  In sentient creatures, pain avoidance promotes self-preservation.  How would a pain-sensing plant be more likely to survive and reproduce than a plant that's incapable of feeling pain?

The automatic sliding door in front of my local 7-11 is not a living thing though...

I'd like to say no due to a  lack of a CNS. I'm not a plant so I'm not sure whether or not they have ways of "perceiving" damaging chemical and physical stimuli that is somewhat equivalent to pain in animals. Plants are not stagnant creatures they have ways of sensing different chemotactic(water, moisture, nutrients) and physical (sun) stimuli and growing toward them and away from damaging ones. But like I pointed out I doubt this is perceived in the same way a human being responds to a burning stove using their pain withdrawal reflex due to their relative lack of motility a pain that severe would not be evolutionarily beneficial as meth pointed out.

A better question would be whether or not plants "feel" or "sense" anything, it doesn't have to be the equivalent of the sensations we perceive as animals

COBRA commander is pretty inttelligent =D

plants react to your vibrations

they did test with a plant & person inside a room together

it showed the waves on the plant to be in a panic state once they put a lighter to the leafs

and how ever the mood the person felt the plant seem to be affected by it

it was  sensing out the persons stress levels and adjusting to it

not trying to come off as a hippie but its just study's to make you think

laugh.gif

i try to think there are no stupid people or questions......but OP is making it real hard right now

Originally Posted by r33p04s

regardless of the lack of a nervous system if you take a razor blade to a (smallish) plant it will react to that similar to how we would to being cut open...albeit much slower
A cell responds to various harmful stimuli by undergoing inflammation. It doesn't mean that the cell feels pain. It's just a matter of experiencing a stimuli and responding to it.
Originally Posted by G14

plants react to your vibrations

they did test with a plant & person inside a room together

it showed the waves on the plant to be in a panic state once they put a lighter to the leafs

and how ever the mood the person felt the plant seem to be affected by it

it was  sensing out the persons stress levels and adjusting to it

not trying to come off as a hippie but its just study's to make you think
Can you provide any articles to support these claims?

Method with the tical
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I'd like to say no due to a  lack of a CNS. I'm not a plant so I'm not sure whether or not they have ways of "perceiving" damaging chemical and physical stimuli that is somewhat equivalent to pain in animals. Plants are not stagnant creatures they have ways of sensing different chemotactic(water, moisture, nutrients) and physical (sun) stimuli and growing toward them and away from damaging ones. But like I pointed out I doubt this is perceived in the same way a human being responds to a burning stove using their pain withdrawal reflex due to their relative lack of motility a pain that severe would not be evolutionarily beneficial as meth pointed out.

A better question would be whether or not plants "feel" or "sense" anything, it doesn't have to be the equivalent of the sensations we perceive as animals
i came to post exactly this and also to answer that, plants do "sense" but i don't believe there's any research that shows it's anything similar to the way animals do.

i'd say it's not a conscious reaction to a sensation but more so an automatic biological and physical reaction to a provided stimuli. one they have no "awareness" or control over.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

i came to post exactly this and also to answer that, plants do "sense" but i don't believe there's any research that shows it's anything similar to the way animals do.

i'd say it's not a conscious reaction to a sensation but more so an automatic biological and physical reaction to a provided stimuli. one they have no "awareness" or control over.
I mean like the venus fly trap has hairs inside the leaf that closes up if they are contacted.  Although pain like mentioned before no.  If bark is peeled off or the tree is burnt the plant begins to repair itself

one of the funniest lines I have read on nt

those plants open/close due to synaptic responses. they've evolved in such a way because the nutrients in their environments are already lacking and tough to come by (poor pH balance in water in swamp settings, low light, etc)
so they get their nutrients elsewhere (insects, other organisms)

it is indeed hard out there for a plant. but to answer your question: no, there is no evolutionary benefit if you're a sessile organism and you can feel pain. I don't even know how i came across this thread 

Back
Top Bottom