Do you think the NFL has a problem w. fan violence?

In wake of the shootings @ the 49ers/Raiders game on Saturday, this article was written on the Shutdown Corner blog:

We were all so anxious during the lockout because we all value football so much. Football can give us a reprieve, for a few hours a week, from legitimate problems like violence, debt ceilings and all the other real problems of the world.
Saturday night, those real problems and football merged in a tragic way when two men were shot and another was seriously beaten at Candlestick Park after the 49ers/Raiders game. That's not the entire list of violent acts, either. If you don't believe me, spend a couple of minutes on YouTube searching for "49ers Raiders Fight." There's no shortage of brand new material.

Rest of Article in Link

In what I think is a knee-jerk reaction, the 49ers/Raiders have agreed to NOT play each other anymore during the preseason....

In a response to the violence at Saturday’s exhibition game at Candlestick Park, a high-ranking NFL source said it is certain that the 49ers and Raiders will end their annual exhibition game against each other.

The source said that both the NFL and local police strongly support such an end to the preseason cross-bay rivalry.

Raiders CEO Amy Trask and 49ers president Jed York have broached the subject of ending the annual game in the wake of the violence–which left two people in critical condition.

Link

Part of the problem IMO is the tailgating....it's a fun time, but it's also when folks get their beer balls and do things they wouldn't normally do.  I think you get more $#$+ at a NFL game for wearing rival colors than any other sport that I can think of or I've been to live.  NFL atmosphere is like no other. 

For the stadiums that you've been to, do you think NFL fan violence is a problem....or is it strictly limited to certain fanbases?

soccer and college football are 100 times worse then the NFL.

to me its like after what happened at dodger stadium early in the year people would ask "do you think MLB has a problem w.fan violence"

Hard to say soccer since I've never been and it seems more outside of the US (not sure though) but between the 4 major sports no doubt. I rarely go to football games anymore, it's 4 hours of just avoiding fights. It's a serious problem

I think sports has a fan problem. But CFB and NFl definitely seem to have it the worst. The tailgating and the once-a-week nature just turns people into barbarians.

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

i've never heard about violence at games aside from CHargers-Raiders, Raiders-49ers, and any Eagle home game.

came in to post this.

dallas and giants @ philly = RIP

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

i've never heard about violence at games aside from CHargers-Raiders, Raiders-49ers

this is the case for me...never hear of it unless its those cali teams (no hate)
i rock my colts jersey to a titans game with no problem
SEC football games tho.... you bound to see some action 
laugh.gif

there's not enough violence at football games considering how fanatic some people are. definitely knee jerk

it's not even about this specific incident, but 85% of the fan violence would be decreased if the raiders and 49'ers didn't play. at all. in the nfl

even eagles games are relatively soft compared to those two teams' games. in philly they just mostly taunt the hell out of you (except the time santa got shelled with snowballs)

^ Damn, Fat Joe was at the game?

Nevertheless, the cancellation of 9er/Raider game is NOT knee jerk. It took people getting shot to finally address an issue.

I'm glad they cancelled the game. Really this specific incidence isn't even a fan problem. Not even the most passionate of fans bring a gun to the game looking to shoot anyone. This is a Norteno-Sureno problem. Do they give a *$+% about football? Hell no, they just hate each other for other stupid reasons.

Are those 2 gangs a problem in the area? Hell yea.

The problems at sporting events in California stem from the gang problem. Therefore unless they stop admitting gang members, the violence will never stop.

Dodger Stadium is by far the worst. People get shot, stabbed, beat, etc. there every year.
They don't call it Killa Cali for nothing.

I'm glad they suspended the game too; a big reason for all the violence at that game was also the fact that the tickets are very, very cheap, which means that it's more easy for those "fans" who look to cause trouble to go to the game. Last Saturday's game, I've read, was a lot worse than any other 49er-Raider exhibition ever, and it took some serious injuries for them to cancel it.

Originally Posted by MOE FAB UAFA

The problems at sporting events in California stem from the gang problem. Therefore unless they stop admitting gang members, the violence will never stop.

exactly. just look at who the culprits are. it's not hard to tell

this isn't happening out in green bay or minnesota

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Only in certain stadiums... Its not that bad in every stadium around the league.

Nowhere else in the country are gangs more prevalent than in California. Therefore, nowhere else would have this problem. Nowhere even comes close to the gang problem California has. Every other street is rival gang territory.

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

I'm glad they cancelled the game. Really this specific incidence isn't even a fan problem. Not even the most passionate of fans bring a gun to the game looking to shoot anyone. This is a Norteno-Sureno problem. Do they give a *$+% about football? Hell no, they just hate each other for other stupid reasons.

Are those 2 gangs a problem in the area? Hell yea.

The description of the shooters is 6'5 Pacific Islanders, not exactly Noretnos/Surenos

http://latimesblogs.latim...ame-before-shooting.html

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

soccer and college and football are 100 times worse then the NFL.

to me its like after what happened at dodger stadium early in the year people would ask "do you think MLB has a problem w.fan violence"

indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom