Does anyone else not feel sympathy for Brittney Griner?

Stopped reading at 120k a year is barely a living wage.
solewoman solewoman returning to the thread
tenor.gif

I will say I can agree with her. Some people on NT may not have reach a sole 100k salary yet to know the difference.
Lol nah was at gym. But like I said it’s all subjective. And this is becoming more of the topic when the op made it about BG. Btw we have a whole living expenses thread. So I know what I’m talking about.

In its current state the only way you’re tripling the average salary for WNBA players is if you take money from the NBA to do so.

For sure

Just an example of what they can afford in theory

Which still wouldn't preclude WNBA players from getting checks overseas

WNBA league payroll is like $16M. Duncan Robinson getting more than that next year :lol:

I feel bad for her because I had an experience abroad sort of related to this.

I was traveling through Europe, stopped in Amsterdam, enjoyed some things that they're famous for there. I was there for about a week and a half and had a minuscule amount of cannabis tucked away in my backpack that I had completely forgotten about.

My subsequent travels that semester took me through parts of Northern Africa, Southeast Asia among other places where if caught I think I could have potentially suffered the death penalty.

Having the small amount of cannabis in my backpack was a COMPLETE MISTAKE and luckily for me it was never detected in any airport that I passed through.

I only realized my mistake MONTHS after returning home as I was searching in one of the crevices of the backpack. When I found it I was in shock and almost threw up upon realizing what could have happened to me for having that in my possession.

People make legitimate mistakes. . .
Or careless.

If im going to travel internationally and I know im crossing borders into countries that have extremely strict laws about drugs, and I KNEW I had purchased some recently, you better believe im going through every god damn pocket and crevice in my bag. There's no excuse for carelessness.

I will say though, if you live in a city or state with extremely high living expenses, get married and have a single income, you should really reconsider having multiple kids or any at all. It's just not smart.

If you live in a major US city (New York, LA, DC, Chicago, San Francisco), you are the sole breadwinner and you have a family then $120k goes pretty quick. For example, in Manhattan the average rent is five stacks

That being said, that isn't the situation that Britney is in. She makes $227k in the WNBA to play a 4 month season.

I would say $227k compared to $120k could be what people living in major cities see as an income difference.
Lol nah was at gym. But like I said it’s all subjective. And this is becoming more of the topic when the op made it about BG. Btw we have a whole living expenses thread. So I know what I’m talking about.
I was just poking fun at you with the gif with the traffic that happen with your post.

Or careless.

If im going to travel internationally and I know im crossing borders into countries that have extremely strict laws about drugs, and I KNEW I had purchased some recently, you better believe im going through every god damn pocket and crevice in my bag. There's no excuse for carelessness.

You've never overlooked anything in your life I bet.

A mistake free existence is something I envy... please tell me how you've managed... :rofl:

You've never overlooked anything in your life I bet.

A mistake free existence is something I envy... please tell me how you've managed... :rofl:

No excuse for carelessness? Y'all must be on point 24/7.

Forgetting your homework is careless, forgetting to change your clock for daylight savings time is careless, showing up to work late is careless. Bringing drugs into a country that you know has some of the strictest drug laws in the world is something way beyond careless.

If bringing illegal drugs into Russia is considered careless then I've never been careless in my life

You guys are trying to frame this as some type of small misstep than any of us could make. FOH 🤣

Last edited:
hmm or helped make sure that she got caught up, w/de stuff on her. if The Russian Oligarchs run that league & that prisoner who they say is to be exchanged is their guy. I agree w/others that she perhaps did this often.

Forgetting your homework is careless, forgetting to change your clock for daylight savings time is careless, showing up to work late is careless. Bringing drugs into a country that you know has some of the strictest drug laws in the world is something way beyond careless.

You guys are trying to frame this as some type of small misstep than any of us could make. FOH 🤣

Never ceases to amaze me how people like to pretend that they're perfect on the internet.

No slip ups, no lapses in judgment, no mistakes, never overlooked anything important in their entire little lives... imagine being gullible enough to believe that :rofl:

Wtf kind of living expenses do y'all have to the point where $120k isn't borderline wealth?

You also need to take into account that U.S. salaries are almost always reported as gross income.

That 120K is really 80K after taxes. Less than that if you’re serious about retirement contributions.

80K isn’t much to play around with in a HCOL like the Bay or LA or NYC.

Add some serious student loans into the mix and you’re gonna feel some real financial pressure.

Might sound crazy but the reality is it’s far closer to poverty than it is to being wealthy.

If bringing illegal drugs into Russia is considered careless then I've never been careless in my life

Yeah, it’s not a simple mistake lol. You have to be very careful not to have anything questionable in your bag. I don’t know why that seems impossible to some, it’s a simple checking of the bag before you leave the room :lol:

Most people will never make 100K a year in their lifetimes. You'd think that was minimum wage if you pay too much attention to social media though.

As for Brittney Griner, bring her home already.

Last edited:
1. Women are never viewed as equals to men, hence the pay gap.

The pay gap exists because the WNBA doesn't generate interest or revenue, it has nothing to do w/ equals.

Nobody watches the product, they're overpaid if anything.

They've been around for damn near 3 decades and have never once turned a profit.

The only time I see the WNBA in the news is when one of their players is complaining about something, or when one of them is being detained for committing a crime, :lol:

Stopped reading at 120k a year is barely a living wage.

Wtf kind of living expenses do y'all have to the point where $120k isn't borderline wealth?

I know so many people my age 25 male and female close friends/acquaintances I went to school with that live paycheck to paycheck making $120k+ a year. Part of it is high cost of living in cities, but also so many want to live life like these online influencers. They all have to live in a 4K/5k apartment, thousands on cloths, expensive nights out every weekend, always traveling on their time off, most expensive gym membership in their city. So many trying to keep up with the joneses and aren’t willing to live beneath their means. They won’t save at all and just spend all their money and then say they don’t make enough when they see someone else living a more luxurious life than them :lol:

Also saw this article about Sydney Sweeney today
1A8117A0-5D2C-42BE-AAEA-C1B265F4A753.png
266FD763-59BE-4D48-AF7A-CAF4091B01A1.png

Girl complaining she couldn’t afford a home in a gated community :rofl:

I know so many people my age 25 male and female close friends/acquaintances I went to school with that live paycheck to paycheck making $120k+ a year. Part of it is high cost of living in cities, but also so many want to live life like these online influencers. They all have to live in a 4K/5k apartment, thousands on cloths, expensive nights out every weekend, always traveling on their time off, most expensive gym membership in their city. So many trying to keep up with the joneses and aren’t willing to live beneath their means. They won’t save at all and just spend all their money and then say they don’t make enough when they see someone else living a more luxurious life than them :lol:

Also saw this article about Sydney Sweeney today
1A8117A0-5D2C-42BE-AAEA-C1B265F4A753.png
266FD763-59BE-4D48-AF7A-CAF4091B01A1.png

Girl complaining she couldn’t afford a home in a gated community :rofl:

Luxury and social media has ruined the general public's perception of money and what's "normal".

Last edited:
Part of it is high cost of living in cities, but also so many want to live life like these online influencers. They all have to live in a 4K/5k apartment, thousands on cloths, expensive nights out every weekend, always traveling on their time off, most expensive gym membership in their city. So many trying to keep up with the joneses and aren’t willing to live beneath their means. They won’t save at all and just spend all their money and then say they don’t make enough when they see someone else living a more luxurious life than them :lol:
So much truth in this. Spot on 👏👏👏

So $225k in the grand scheme of things when your earning potential after 35 falls off considerably is not that much money.

Can barely buy a house for that much.
Go to Brittney Griner wikipedia....she got more medals and championships than a lil bit. She not gonna be mopping the floors when her career is done bro.

Could have been a simple misstep on her end that she forgot about it. Nobody is perfect.

BUT….if you’re doing/carrying something illegal in a foreign country, you better be on your toes. You ain’t in America where at least you have a chance to explain yourself or bail out for the time being.

Drugs in other countries are no joke. Regardless if they’re illegal in our country or not

Back
Top Bottom