Does anything know anything about the Peace Corp?

My friend just called me and told me how his professor said that "anyone that doesn't have kids should enroll after college if they don't really have plans on what they are doing"

He also said
  • They need black people
  • You'll get up to $60,000 a year
  • You'll stay in a embassy
  •  The work isn't that hard
  • You maybe able to choose where you go
  • And you'll have an easier time getting into grad school if you want to go after your two years in service
When I went to the site http://www.peacecorps.gov/ I didn't see any of the things the professor told my friend and I told my friend, "don't you think more people would do it if it was as sweet as he says it is." My friend said, "This man knows what he's talking bout cause he gets paid and his own business and stuff."

So I'd like to know if anyone on here knows anyone or has any experince with Peace Corp themselves?

Originally Posted by bigtomgetsgwap

My friend just called me and told me how his professor said that "anyone that doesn't have kids should enroll after college if they don't really have plans on what they are doing"

He also said
  • They need black people

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]May I ask why they NEED black people?[/color]

wow all those information you were given are wrong, at least from what I know.

you get living allowance and not a salary. The amount you get will be calculated accordingly to the country you are located at.

the mission is 2 years long, no other way around it.

you don't stay in an embassy, you stay in some village.

You can put where you would like to go, but they decide where you'll be needed based on what you've to offer.

It serves as an extracurricular activity in terms of grad school, but it is nothing special.

Originally Posted by HigherGround

wow all those information you were given are wrong.

Seriously.
Nowhere near 60,000. You get a living stipend to get by, not much at all. Remember you will be in developing areas and you are expected to immerse yourself within the culture.

I can't imagine it being easy at all. 27 months (? I think) is a long time.

EDIT: 2323 
pimp.gif

You are right that it is a great experience to put on your resume and thus opens up opportunities such as grad school.

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

Originally Posted by bigtomgetsgwap

He also said
  • They need black people

May I ask why they NEED black people?

My friend said because black people don't sign up as much...

I figured the numbers maybe off and but from the two people I've heard from that were actually in the Peace Corp they did stay at the embassy in thier country

Back
Top Bottom