Does being in the open water creep anyone else out?

Discussion in 'General' started by doublejs07, Mar 2, 2009.

1. doublejs07

doublejs07

I'm just sitting here watching some of the updates from the boat that went missing w. the NFL players and some of their friends. They have luckily foundone of the guys, but the others are still somewhere out there in the water. There was a shot of the boat they were in, but it was turned over and upside down. To me, there is nothing more terrifying than being in open water with no sight of land around you. I have never been on a cruise, and don't plan ongoing. There are too many elements of the unknown that you have to deal with when out at sea. It's probably just me being psyched out from what I'veseen on TV, Movies, etc that has caused me to feel this way. Shows like the Deadliest Catch, Shark Week specials on Discovery, that movie Open Water, etc etcreally get into my head....anyways, I hope for the best in this rescue search....

2. mangudai954

mangudai954

Yes, even more so when its murky. Edit: Im good as long as im in a boat but being in the actual water? Can't do.

3. jville819

jville819

I go deep sea fishing and have been on plenty of cruises. It's just a fear some people have I guess.

I don't mind being on a boat way out in the ocean but I hated swimming so far out to where you can't even see people on the beach. My dad used toalways get us to try and see how far we could swim out and if we could make it farther than him. I hated that !%+# as a kid.

4. SVNTI

SVNTI

Hell yes... just the feeling of knowing anything can be lurking underneath you is creepy as hell.

5. lesfamilia

lesfamilia

I'm Panamanian and my Dad's an avid fisherman so I have no problems with going out on boats or what have you for long periods of time...

6. chico cummings

chico cummings Banned

*Raises Hand* Only on small boats though. I would probably be fine on a cruise ship. Drowning is one of myworst fears....

7. face82

face82 Banned

I love the ocean but I'm scared of olympic sized pools. Backwards I know.

8. yungmatt

yungmatt

Small boat in open water=Count me OUT

9. prurientsole

prurientsole

I'm okay with open water, but I freak when I can't see the coastline.

You're completely and totally lost. Everything looks the same, you have no sense of direction, and what's below you can kill you.

$!@% that.

10. doosta45

doosta45

i boogie board, but i cant swim [​IMG] i had drifted out to far in the ocean once and the board came from under me. i freaked the hell out. the first thing ithought of was jaws. some seaweed hit my leg, i screamed like a little $!##! [​IMG] luckily my ex was around and she took me back to shore. after that i haventbeen back in the water since [​IMG]

my ex was laughing too [​IMG] !*$+ was not funny at all. straight panic'ing OD style

11. infamousod

infamousod

The fish are more scared of you than you are of them

Unless you're at the Great Barrier Reef or New Smyrna Beach you're probably fine if they find you within a few hours. The truth is if you only go outin good weather, take proper life vests (and use them) and keep a compass there's hardly anything that could go wrong. You take a bigger risk every timeyou get into a car.

You have a greater chance of being struck by lightning in the state of Florida than you do of being bitten by a shark in the entire world.

12. ridgemont fly

ridgemont fly

QFT

13. jawnyquest

jawnyquest

yeah.
    that's the only real fear i have.

14. elpablo21

elpablo21

15. doublejs07

doublejs07

Even with knowing a stat like that, it wouldn't do anything to ease my fears if I was stranded.....

16. cadillacflow

cadillacflow

Yes, not big on Ocean's.

17. desoiation1

desoiation1

Yes, it creeps me out. I had an experience with my girlfriend where we were in the middle of a big lake and our kayak tipped over. The water was a littlechoppy, but thank god it wasn't cold. We knew how to swim, but we didn't have a life jacket at the time. The best thing to do is to NOT PANIC. Well, Ipanicked, but only we were trying to flip the kayak right side up while at the same time trying to get water out. Also, I had a small back pack and my keysand wallet were with me on the boat. We couldn't get all the water out, so the kayak kept sinking. We were going to attempt to abandon everything and swimto shore, which was pretty far. Luckily, we saw a boat pass by in the distance and we yelled for help THANK GOD they heard us, they saved us, our kayak, and afew of our belongings. I lost slippers, sun glasses, and some small things, but I still have my wallet and keys. The day after that we bought life vests andfloatable containers to put our stuff in.

18. f a y b a n

f a y b a n

Man, I don't even like driving over bridges. I stay the hell away from open water.

19. jville819

jville819

The only thing that scares me in the ocean is going out at night. I get scared !#*#$@*@.

That is not whats up

20. airphilippines

airphilippines

Word, if anything I'd be like that guy in Benjamin Button

21. airphilippines

airphilippines

Word, if anything I'd be like that guy in Benjamin Button

22. nychiphophippo

nychiphophippo

it doesnt bother me swimming out deep into the ocean, going on boats, on a jetski, and i'd have no problem going on a cruise...

but if im on google earth just looking at the middle of nowhere in the ocean zoomed in it starts to bug me. same with that thing on ps3 to see who's onlineon my boys 65" TV. it's mad weird.

23. million dollar stacks

million dollar stacks

I will never go on a boat.

24. sneakerking757

sneakerking757

I've never been on open water...

But I'm sure it would.

25. enlightenedespot

enlightenedespot

[​IMG]

But I feel you man. I was tubing in the middle of a lake and when I let go of the tube...That was the longest 30 seconds waiting for the boat to come by to getme. Very scary.