Does being in the open water creep anyone else out?

I used to be terrified of it, but I went sailing in Maine last summer and it was one of the most relaxing and peaceful things I've ever done.

Yea man, the ocean strikes fear in me, I think mainly because I feel overwhelmed and powerless.

That one episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" where they find the swimming pool in their school scared me for life.

Originally Posted by doosta45

i boogie board, but i cant swim
smh.gif
i had drifted out to far in the ocean once and the board came from under me. i freaked the hell out. the first thing i thought of was jaws. some seaweed hit my leg, i screamed like a little $!##!
laugh.gif
luckily my ex was around and she took me back to shore. after that i havent been back in the water since
smh.gif

my ex was laughing too
indifferent.gif
!*$+ was not funny at all. straight panic'ing OD style
That had me
roll.gif
for some reason

But I'm not. I've gone tubing or whatever you call it with my friends at a lake a while ago. And I was fine. I guess I don't really think about it.

I've got no problem going out on boats, provided that they are the right size for what we're gonna be doing on it..

You don't take a 17 footer out 6 miles offshore...You stay closer to shore. You do stuff like that with 30+foot boats and dual/triple engines..

The number one thing is to always have life jackets on board. 1 jacket per body is what I have on my boat.

And you've gotta stay calm. I mean, don't get me wrong, if I was dead center in the Atlantic, I'd just rather die quick, but in a lake or even abay, staying calm is key.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I'm just sitting here watching some of the updates from the boat that went missing w. the NFL players and some of their friends. They have luckily found one of the guys, but the others are still somewhere out there in the water. There was a shot of the boat they were in, but it was turned over and upside down.
wait i havent heard anything about this story! link?

one of my constant fears. not me btw, just something i saw thatwould make me have a heart attack.

Originally Posted by horchata kid

one of my constant fears. not me btw, just something i saw that would make me have a heart attack.

If you're in the water when a ship that big is sailing around, you're asking for it.

ive been on numerous cruises and the water isnt that big a deal. but I def would be afriad of open water if I was just stranded out there. if your not scaredof open water go watch the movie "open water" or "open water 2'. They both might suck but still will make you scared

Originally Posted by horchata kid

one of my constant fears. not me btw, just something i saw that would make me have a heart attack.
the propellers of the ship
frown.gif

what freaks me out is staring off towards the water by the beach at night, and fearing a huge tsunami will come.

The times I have gone tubing/water skiing...once you fall off, that feeling of being out in the middle of the lake waiting for the boat to pick you up iscreepy. The first time I tried it(water was choppy) I paniced. After a while you get use to it.

Nah not really(survival tactics for staying afloat ftw
happy.gif
), hypothermiadoes though, won't be stopping that.
smh.gif

I remember one time in Padre the coast of Texas. There was a fish near me and it hit my leg, I ran a 4 flat 40 in the water. lol. People on the beach were justlooking at me all crazy. I was so scared because i decided to go out swimming by myself because everyone i went with was either mexican or white so they gotburned up like crazy. I didnt feel the burn until i came back, my back started peeling alittle.

Not really affraid in a boat but I surf a lot and really early in the morning when no one else is out there I get a little creeped.

But about that stat you have a chance getting hit by lighting twice over shark attack I think it's skewed. This past summer I met a group of 22 year oldsthat have never been in the Ocean, from the midwest. I'm in the Ocean every day during the summer... your gonna tell me that I still have a greater chanceof lightning then shark bite?

Back
Top Bottom