Does Chris Webber Belong In The Hall of Fame?

I was recently looking at his career numbers and Chris Webber was a beast.  He passed as well as any big man I've seen in the last 15 years, had a reliable jump shot, and could finish at the basket as well.  I know he didn't win anything, but he had a pretty good career nonetheless.  What do you guys think?

Im not sure, but most likely no. He has good career averages of 20.7 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 4.2 apg. Putting him no. 75 on the all time scoring list (for reference)
 However, if players were inducted solely by their averages the hall of fame would become less prestigious. Thats why players Mitch Richmond (no. 35 on the all time scoring list), Allen Iverson (no. 17 he might make it one day though), Jerry Stackhouse (no. 88), MIchael Finley (no.71), Antawn Jamison (no. 59), Glen Rice(no. 56), VInce Carter (no. 36),  Cliff Robinson (no.40), Juwan Howard (no.89), Tracy McGrady (no.59) will never make it to the hall.
To get inducted a players has to have a big impact on the league, several deep playoff runs (not necessarily a ring which JOhn Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone dont have and are inducted). Thats why players like Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Shaq, Kobe, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, TIm Duncan (obviously)
eyes.gif
will be inducted. Im not sure if  players like Gary Payton (no 26) & Paul Pierce (no 30) will be inducted. Like I said you cant induct every good/almost great player in the hall.

difficult  question because he was such a great player, I believe he would've gotten the kings a tittle had he not been injured early in the 06 mavs series , one of the more gut wrenching things to watch ....He was one of those players that could've had multiple championships (college and Pro) but fell just short on both levels

NBA only, no.  But overall, college/NBA like how it really is, I will say yes. 

What he did at Michigan is bigger than anything he did in the NBA.  His NBA career is borderline as is, but in a lot of ways, I could make the argument that his career did not live up to what it COULD have been.  That kid could have been one of "those" and by that I mean one of the special ones, one of the top 20 type all timers. 

One of the most versatile big-men ever...I say YES.

One ring would have helped his cause...damn Horry
laugh.gif

*I still love the dunk he had on Barkley...#!!+ was
pimp.gif

*I WISH he stayed in DC...one of the worst trades ever.  Do yall even know what the return was?  An over-the-hill Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe.  Think about that
30t6p3b.gif

NBA only, no.  But overall, college/NBA like how it really is, I will say yes.

I agree with this I think. I've gone back and forth on Webber's candidacy and I'm trying to think how the voters will think. I think many will hold his injuries, his "not living up to his potential greatness" and lastly his Michigan "scandal" against him so he won't get in right away. But he eventually will end up voted in I think but I don't know when.

He missed a TON of games.

Originally Posted by Brondiesel

Allen Iverson (no. 17 he might make it one day though),

To get inducted a players has to have a big impact on the league, several deep playoff runs (not necessarily a ring which JOhn Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone dont have and are inducted). Thats why players like Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Shaq, Kobe, TIm Duncan (obviously)
eyes.gif
will be inducted./

MVP (show me a player who won this award and isn't in the hall)
Numerous Scoring Titles
Lead a bum @$% Sixers squad to the finals
Countless All Star Appearances
Impact on the game is as big as any player not named Jordan

Based solely on what he's done in between those 4 lines... there's no might about his induction.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

To get inducted a players has to have a big impact on the league, several deep playoff runs (not necessarily a ring which JOhn Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone dont have and are inducted). Thats why players like Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Shaq, Kobe, TIm Duncan (obviously)
eyes.gif
will be inducted./

Numerous Scoring Titles

Based solely on what he's done in between those 4 lines... there's no might about his induction.

Wait...are people REALLY questioning AI's HOF merits???  
laugh.gif
  You gotta be *%$@%#@ kidding me. 

AI's HOF probability is my main concern. I almost resorted to name-calling for this discussion.
Perennial all-star
top 5 player of his era
MVP
revolutionized the game

Iverson will be a HOF
I believe the Glove will be one as well.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

eyes.gif
will be inducted./

Numerous Scoring Titles

Wait...are people REALLY questioning AI's HOF merits???  
laugh.gif
  You gotta be *%$@%#@ kidding me. 

Its constantly questioned on NT... Never heard it questioned anywhere else but here.

If Chris Mullin went in, then Webber is DEFINITELY goin in

Mullin is a great player, but Webber made more of an impact, esp in the playoffs with the Kings. Webber was "the guy" on every team he played for except for Detroit.

There's no way in hell Pierce and GP don't make it to the hall. Same with AI. CWebb will eventually make it too I think. Like someone else said, based off his college/NBA career combined. Also gotta look in the era he played in, and players he competed against.
Also on a side note, dude already has a spot in the HoF. He has a section detected to his collection of African American artifacts. I thought that was pretty cool when I saw that last year.

Mullin was a good player in the NBA but didn't he mostly get in because of what HR did at St. John's?

I say eventually Webber gets in.

had he stayed healthy, there probably wouldn't be a question.

as much love as KG gets on here, the only thing he did better than cwebb was defend.

my main man averaged 20 and 10 in philadelphia w/o any knees.

For how much Webber's prime offensive game beats up on Garnett's I still think Garnett and Webber are incomparable IMHO.

Between 1995 to 2005 Webber missed 232 games.

Garnett missed 11.

There has to be an element of "if you aren't out there then you are doing us no good."

Garnett for all his flaws brought it every night.

I think they made a mistake by inducting Mullin.

don't think so.

Iverson gets in.

Payton gets in.

Webber gets in.

I think they made a mistake by inducting Mullin.
How? College achievements, Olympic Gold Medals, NBA achievements, career stats, and I definitely think he had an impact on how people played basketball.

And no, I don't think Webber deserves to get in, but I think he will. (Not first ballot)
Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

had he stayed healthy, there probably wouldn't be a question.

as much love as KG gets on here, the only thing he did better than cwebb was defend.

my main man averaged 20 and 10 in philadelphia w/o any knees.
Garnett was a better rebounder. KG didn't have as much flash and the court vision Webb had, but was as, if not more, effective a passer than Chris.

Back
Top Bottom