Does KG deserve to be on the All NBA Defensive first team? Vol - 2008?

Per SLAM's Lang Whitaker -

"NBA All-Defensive teams just announced. 1st team: LBJ, CP3, KB24, Dwight and KG(!). 2nd team isDWade, Duncan, Rondo, Ron Ron and Battier".

Discuss.

FYI - he played in 57 aka almost 70% of the games.

No love for Birdman?
smh.gif

Chris Paul on the First Team? Hmm he really did a great job on Chauncey.

Perhaps someone from the 2nd team who played 95% of the games.

I don't watch the Celtics a lot, I won't pretend to. So what I'm basically asking is, was his defense so good that he made the first team by onlyplaying in 70% of the games?

70% sure be borderline. Anything less and I would say no.

I watch the Celtics a lot and he changes their ENTIRE defense. The C's are a completely different beast with him defending the pick&roll and patrollingthe paint.

I would say its justified. He makes more of a difference to his team's overall defense playing 70% of the time than just a good individual defender likeron artest, even if ron plays 95% of the time.

I see it's "let's vote for the biggest stars" yet again for all defensive teams.

hell yeah!

they look like a shell of a team w/o him.

defensively & offensively

Also, wouldn't the top 5 vote recipients be the 5 you'd expect to be first team....

obviously the variable is the dip****s who vote without their brain...

Which would be in this year - D.Howard, D.Wade, CP3, Bron and Artest.

The NBA doesn't even try to hide its favoritism in this awards anymore.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Perhaps someone from the 2nd team who played 95% of the games.

I don't watch the Celtics a lot, I won't pretend to. So what I'm basically asking is, was his defense so good that he made the first team by only playing in 70% of the games?
in the games he's been out, the celtics give up almost 10 more points than they normally do with him in, something like 100 ppg vs. 91 ppg

Mine would have been.

1ST

C - Dwight Howard
PF - Kevin Garnett
SF - Lebron James
SG - Shane Battier or Ron Artest. (
laugh.gif
@ Kobe)
PG- Rajon Rondo

C - Yao Ming
PF -Tim Duncan
SF - Andre Iguodala
SG - Shane Battier or Ron Artest.
PG- Chris Paul

I would like to see that 2nd team defend any group of players in the world.
laugh.gif
They probably wouldn't score much, but they would definitely cause some havoc.

No one can defend Kobe being on the first team. Wow.

Yes, KG deserves to be on the first team.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Kobe still getting Defensive team honors off reputation.
kobe fan signing in right here, and i agree whole heartedly. sorry, but leaving someone wide open, daring them to shoot just because you thinkthey can't does not mean it is good defense.

i would've switched CP3 and kobe with rondo and d. wade

.. on another note.. artest and battier
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Mine would have been.

1ST

C - Dwight Howard
PF - Kevin Garnett
SF - Lebron James
laugh.gif
@ Kobe)
PG- Rajon Rondo

C - Yao Ming
PF -Tim Duncan
SF - Andre Iguodala
PG- Chris Paul
if you watch every Lakers game like I do, you would see what Kobe does defensively. Just because he doesn't lead the league in steals orblocks (CP3 and Dwight), or make Sportcenter every night with a highlight weak-side block (Lebron) doesnt mean he isn't a great defender.

Kobe gets his hands on a lot of balls (pause), his deflections and his ability to really make the best perimeter player on the other team work very hard in the4th quarter of close games is what sets him apart.

When the game is on the line, he really gets in your grill and locks you down. Obviously he has lost a step and isn't the defender he once was, butconsidered how much he is relied upon on offense and how much energy he uses on offense, his defensive ability is AMAZING.

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Mine would have been.

1ST

C - Dwight Howard
PF - Kevin Garnett
SF - Lebron James
laugh.gif
@ Kobe)
PG- Rajon Rondo

C - Yao Ming
PF -Tim Duncan
SF - Andre Iguodala
PG- Chris Paul
if you watch every Lakers game like I do, you would see what Kobe does defensively. Just because he doesn't lead the league in steals or blocks (CP3 and Dwight), or make Sportcenter every night with a highlight weak-side block (Lebron) doesnt mean he isn't a great defender.

Kobe gets his hands on a lot of balls (pause), his deflections and his ability to really make the best perimeter player on the other team work very hard in the 4th quarter of close games is what sets him apart.

When the game is on the line, he really gets in your grill and locks you down. Obviously he has lost a step and isn't the defender he once was, but considered how much he is relied upon on offense and how much energy he uses on offense, his defensive ability is AMAZING.

How are you even considering Kobe a great defender for 2008?

Kobe's defense is just on reputation now, for the past couple seasons he's been taking way too many plays off defensively.

He ball watches, leaves his team mates out to dry - and if you're saying Kobe is a GREAT defender this year, you got your blinders on.

Originally Posted by WILLINC

indifferent.gif
If DWADE is not first team. 100 + blocks and 100 + steals
OP change the damn thread title to All-Defensive Team 2009

Sorry he's not. Kobe straight stole dude's spot
roll.gif
roll.gif

Howard, Bryant headline 2008-09 NBA All-Defensive First Team

By Official Release
Posted May 6 2009 2:58PM

NEW YORK, May 6, 2009 -- Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, winner of the 2008-09 Defensive Player of the Year Award presented by Kia Motors, and guard KobeBryant of the Los Angeles Lakers headline the NBA All-Defensive First Team, the NBA announced today. By totaling 55 points overall, including 27 First Teamvotes, Howard edged Bryant (53 points overall and 24 First Team votes) as the leading vote-getter.

Also selected to the All-Defensive First Team are forward LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers (47 points), New Orleans Hornets guard Chris Paul (36 points)and Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett (35 points).

Howard led the league in rebounds (13.8 ppg) and blocks (2.9 bpg), becoming only the fifth player to lead the league in both categories in the same season(Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, L.A. Lakers, 1975-76; Bill Walton, Portland 1976-77; Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston, 1989-90; Ben Wallace, Detroit, 2001-02). Howard and theMagic held opponents under 100 points 54 times this season -- compiling a 43-11 record in those games.

The NBA All-Defensive Second Team consists of center Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs, guards Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat and Rajon Rondo of the BostonCeltics, and forwards Shane Battier and Ron Artest of the Houston Rockets. Duncan has been selected to the NBA All-Defensive team 12 consecutive seasons.

The voting panel consisted of the NBA's 30 head coaches, who were asked to select NBA All-Defensive First and Second Teams by position. Coaches were notpermitted to vote for players from their own team. Two points were awarded for a First Team vote and one point was awarded for a Second Team vote.

Below are the results for the 2008-09 NBA All-Defensive Teams balloting:
2008-09 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM
Position Player, Team 1st 2nd Points
Center Dwight Howard, Orlando 27 1 55
Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 24 5 53
Forward LeBron James, Cleveland 22 3 47
Guard Chris Paul, New Orleans 15 6 36
Forward Kevin Garnett, Boston 13 9 35
2008-09 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE SECOND TEAM
Position Player, Team 1st 2nd Points
Center Tim Duncan, San Antonio 10 10 30
Guard Dwyane Wade, Miami 9 8 26
Guard Rajon Rondo, Boston 4 15 23
Forward Shane Battier, Houston 6 10 22
Forward Ron Artest, Houston 5 12 22

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses): Tayshaun Prince, Detroit, 15 (3); Raja Bell, Charlotte, 8 (2); JoelPrzybilla, Portland, 7 (1); Chauncey Billups, Denver, 5; Ronnie Brewer, Utah, 5 (1); Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia, 5; Yao Ming, Houston, 5; Emeka Okafor,Charlotte, 5 (1); Kendrick Perkins, Boston, 4 (1); Samuel Dalembert, Philadelphia, 3; Derek Fisher, L.A. Lakers, 3 (1); Udonis Haslem, Miami, 3; Jason Kidd,Dallas, 3 (1); Anderson Varejao, Cleveland, 3; Deron Williams, Utah, 3; Trevor Ariza, L.A. Lakers, 2; Kirk Hinrich, Chicago, 2; Joe Johnson, Atlanta, 2 (1);Andrei Kirilenko, Utah, 2 (1); David Lee, New York, 2 (1); James Posey, New Orleans, 2; J.R. Smith, Denver, 2 (1); Gerald Wallace, Charlotte, 2; Nenê, Denver,1; Chris Andersen, Denver, 1; Pau Gasol, L.A. Lakers, 1; Antonio McDyess, Detroit, 1; Andre Miller, Philadelphia, 1; Travis Outlaw, Portland, 1; Brandon Roy,Portland, 1; Rasheed Wallace, Detroit, 1.

Back
Top Bottom