Donte Stallworth in some trouble

(CBS) An NFL player has been questioned by police after he accidentally drove into a pedestrian in Miami who died Saturday morning.

Det. Juan Sanchez of the City of Miami Beach told CBS Station WFOR correspondent Stacy Richman that Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth stoppedafter a fatal hit with a pedestrian on the eastbound MacArthur Causeway in Miami.

According to the police report, the accident happened at the intersection of Fisher Island Drive and the MacArthur Causeway.

The Drive is where ferry access is provided to Fisher Island, one of the most exclusive residences in America.

The victim's name has not yet been released.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/14/national/main4865651.shtml

Damn....RIP to the victim...Stallworth had better not had too much to drink before he got in his car...

eek.gif
thats big time trouble

[h1]Cleveland Browns' Donte Stallworth was involved in fatal accident in Miami Beach[/h1][h2]Early-morning accident snarled traffic for hours[/h2]By Andrew Ba Tran 12:40 PM EDT, March 14, 2009
MIAMI BEACH - Cleveland Browns' wide receiver Donté Stallworth was involved in a car accident on the McArthur Causeway that left a 49-year-old man dead this morning, according to police.

Stallworth, 28, was driving a 2-door Bentley east on the left side of the road just after 7:15 a.m. toward Miami Beach when he struck a 49-year-old pedestrian crossing the roadway near Terminal Island and Mcarthur Parkway, said Detective Juan Sanchez, a spokesman for the Miami Beach Police Department.

The accident victim was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Officials have not released the identity of the victim pending family notification.

According to witnesses, the victim worked at a nearby shipping company as an overnight crane operator. The man had just finished his shift and was crossing the street to catch a bus when he was struck.

Charges are pending the results of the investigation and blood tests, said Sanchez. Stallworth was cooperating with authorities and has not been charged, he said.

Eastbound McArthur Causeway was shut down for several hours while officials investigated the scene.

Stallworth joined the Browns in 2008 on a $35 million contract after playing for the New England Patriots.

-SFL reporter Amber Lyon contributed to this report.

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

He'll be off the team before the end of this week.

tired.gif
R.I.P. to the victim
Again...RIP to the victim, but maybe we should wait until the details come out before we pass judgment. A number of factors could have led tothis fatality, and contrary to what some may think, it might not be all on Stallworth.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

7:15 a.m.???

hope Donte had an early morning and not a late night.

True. Even if it was a late night, I would think he'd be gettin some action and the alcohol should be under the limit

Really hope dude wasn't on drugs or had been drinking or else it's a wrap for him. It's good he was cooperating with the cops and didn't justdrive off.
RIP to the victim
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

7:15 a.m.???

hope Donte had an early morning and not a late night.

True. Even if it was a late night, I would think he'd be gettin some action and the alcohol should be under the limit
alcohol can stay in your system for a minute thouggh. I've heard of people getting DUI's on the morning after. I really hope hewasn't drunk though, Sacramento athletes take Ls like its going out of styles

Why jump to conclusions? Looking at the satellite images on Google Maps, I don't even see a crosswalk. MacArthur Causeway looks like a busy four lane road.Maybe the guy didn't see Stallworth.

from what I've always heard about this dude is that he's a pretty well rounded person

him and Onterrio Smith were boys but they were polar opposites

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

hes not done, Leonard Little actually had a DWI and is still playing...

The guy he hit is dead. This could possibly be a murder compared to a DWI? I'd say murder is a little more serious unless you were being sarcastic aswell.

Originally Posted by youngin33

The guy he hit is dead. This could possibly be a murder compared to a DWI? I'd say murder is a little more serious unless you were being sarcastic as well.

Manslaughter Conviction
After attending a drunken birthday party in 1998, Little crashed into and killed another motorist, Susan Gutweiler in St. Louis, MO. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent, a level that exceeds the statutory level of intoxication of 0.08 in the state of Missouri.[5] Little received 90 days in jail, four years probation and 1000 hours of community service.

http://
[h3][edit] Second arrest[/h3]
Six years later, in 2004, Little was again arrested for drunk driving and speeding.[sup][5][/sup] The probable cause statement filed by police said Little had bloodshot and watery eyes, smelled of alcohol and failed three sobriety tests. [sup][6][/sup] Because of Little's 1999 guilty plea to involuntary manslaughter in his drunken-driving crash case, prosecutors charged him as a persistent offender. This made it a felony case.[sup][6][/sup] Little was acquitted of driving while intoxicated, but was convicted only of the misdemeanor speeding charge.

leonard little got convicted of manslaughter. got off easy with like probation/community service. then got caught driving drunk again which made it felony ibelieve. but yea same thing happened with leonard essentially is happening with stallworth

Originally Posted by youngin33

The guy he hit is dead. This could possibly be a murder compared to a DWI? I'd say murder is a little more serious unless you were being sarcastic as well.

Manslaughter Conviction
After attending a drunken birthday party in 1998, Little crashed into and killed another motorist, Susan Gutweiler in St. Louis, MO. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent, a level that exceeds the statutory level of intoxication of 0.08 in the state of Missouri.[5] Little received 90 days in jail, four years probation and 1000 hours of community service.

http://
[h3][edit] Second arrest[/h3]
Six years later, in 2004, Little was again arrested for drunk driving and speeding.[sup][5][/sup] The probable cause statement filed by police said Little had bloodshot and watery eyes, smelled of alcohol and failed three sobriety tests. [sup][6][/sup] Because of Little's 1999 guilty plea to involuntary manslaughter in his drunken-driving crash case, prosecutors charged him as a persistent offender. This made it a felony case.[sup][6][/sup] Little was acquitted of driving while intoxicated, but was convicted only of the misdemeanor speeding charge.

And yet nobody cares. Meanwhile Vick may not even get a shot to play again because of the public backlash. Our country is so backwards.

It almost certainly won't be looked at as murder in a court of law.

There has to be intent behind murder. They could make the argument that he was being so grossly negligent that he should be charged with murder, but that isreally hard to prove. Vehicular manslaughter at the most, but even with that, they have to prove that he was either DUI or not obeying traffic laws.

If he wasn't under the influence, I think they'll still try to charge him with misdemeanor manslaughter but those cases are hard to prove, and chargeswill probably get dropped in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom