Dreads Dreads Dreads

When you first start out get gel twist, i use to get it done every two or three weeks when the finaly locked I would go 4 weeks or 6 weeks...It all depends on your hair though...

Naw quite the contrary my dude im not tryna clown you... I was just sayin i'm too grown for braids... I'm 24 so i got a few years on ya...

Locs (dont really like Dreads pretty negative connotation) can look
pimp.gif
if the individuals hair takes it well... dont plan on cuttin mine anytime soon...

^^^

what's the diff between dreads and dread locs?

i always thought they were the same thing...

They are... I'm just sayin i don't like sayin "dreads" if i'm going to shorten it... I'd rather say locs like the rastas lol

Originally Posted by handullz

^^^

They are. I know a lot of people with locs who hate when people refer to their hair as "dreads" (i.e. dreadful). Some people use the words interchangeably and don't care though.

My bf had short locs before he cut them off two summers ago. I am a sucker for a man with locs.

Yeah, there are a few different ways to start them.

Comb coils is how I started mine, got them retwisted every three weeks until they were locked. Then I started going once a month.

Don't worry about how bad they'll smell. Unless you're sweating and not drying it off or anything, you'll be fine. Plus, you can use some type of moisturizer to clear up the smell.

Here are mine (this was on my birthday, 11 months in).

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=21045_606310876133_15211914_3476-1.jpg

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

Originally Posted by handullz

^^^

They are. I know a lot of people with locs who hate when people refer to their hair as "dreads" (i.e. dreadful). Some people use the words interchangeably and don't care though.

My bf had short locs before he cut them off two summers ago. I am a sucker for a man with locs.
Exactly... Just sounds better to say locs...
pimp.gif

quick cruddy photobooth joint...
laugh.gif

15cgi8k.jpg

Been loc'd for 2 years in June....
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by AiRodney23

Yeah, there are a few different ways to start them.

Comb coils is how I started mine, got them retwisted every three weeks until they were locked. Then I started going once a month.

Don't worry about how bad they'll smell. Unless you're sweating and not drying it off or anything, you'll be fine. Plus, you can use some type of moisturizer to clear up the smell.

Here are mine (this was on my birthday, 11 months in).

my afro is gonna look like this very soon.
nerd.gif

For some NICE locks, you should start off with comb gel twists. Your hair should be like 3+ inches long. Go to any Jamaican salon or salon that can start you with some gel twists. Price ranges from about $40-70 (Im in South Florida) EVERYONE in FL has/or has had locks, lol. If your hair is long, you should start off with double twists. Retwisting every 2 weeks??? Hecks now, them #!# will pop. You should get retwisted (When your in the beg. stage 3-4 weeks). GET A TRUSTWORTHY BEAUTICIAN THAT YOU CAN ALWAYS GO TO! Let her start you off and just set an appt. to get familiar with her. Once your hair is trained (Which can take about 6 mnths - 1 year, you wont have to get retwisted that much). And yes, everyone goes through the "Ugly Stage"/

im a rastaman

and i would never do my hair every 2 weeks, more liek 2 months/9 weeks, if i have a dinner or special event i get it done , but most of the time i leave it, the more u do ya hair (2 weeks) it will thin out

Soooo happy the ugly duckling stage is over with, been locked since September 06, I get them done every one and a half to two months.
Don't mind my frequency, I just don't want skinny dreads and getting them done every two weeks or whatever is exactly the way to get them.

^Nah, that's mad unnecessary stress on your scalp. Especially if you stay under a drier when you get them done. Your dreads/locs will be weak after a while.

I've been kinda rugged lately, haven't gotten twisted up in like two months.

So hold up, as a non-black person I'm not really understanding this. You basically put wax/grease in your hair, and not wash it for weeks? 
eek.gif
 I'm sorry but to me thats kinda.... 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Some people use wax/grease, but it's not the best idea (at least not for us Blacks). Anything with petroleum isn't good. And the whole not-washing thing lasts until most of your hair is locked. Once it's locked, you can wash it as much as you want.

The cost of getting Locks(not Dreads
wink.gif
) done can vary depending on where you live. between 30-200. Get them done once by a professional then get someone that you know to teach you how to do them yourself. (80% of my fam have locks and only the 5yr plus pay for their hair to get it done because its too long but we all know how to do it ourselves.

Well Update: I got them locked today. Lady told me I have to get them done every 3 weeks. My hair grows very fast(I eat tons of protein and fiber) so I should be fine. Also said that I should use spray oil to keep my hair healthy(will also get rid of the smell after I sweat) I look forward to them locking.

Back
Top Bottom