Driving on spare tire ( doughnut). Any Tips?

EddieWinslow1983

formerly piczon1983
So I blew a tire at work today, and had to put the spare on. Found some tires for a good price but its 20 miles away from where im at. I have to drive on the freeway to get there. Any safety tips I should know about before driving on this spare? How fast should i go on a spare tire?
nerd.gif

i would try to stay in the right lane (slow lane) and not get above 65mph at any time. I dont even think spares are rated for you to be driving 65, so just be cautious. Keep it as slow as you can without getting honked at in that lane.

The tires say it should only be used for like 3 miles.

My gf drove on hers for almost a month n nothing happened.

U should be okay.

i got pulled over by the cops for driving on a spare. they told me to get it fixed ASAP. told it it had happened like 5-6 minutes ago.

so, drive slow and it get fixed as soon as possible

I heard somewhere you shouldn't be driving faster than 55mph on a spare and no more than 200 miles. 200 miles could be on the high end though, it might be more like 20 miles.

I currently have a spare on my car right now and I'm having no problems going 80+ mph on the freeway.[color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]

Full sized spare FTW.
[/color]

drive train issues, alignment issues. so much is at stake. I would fear buying used cars from some of ya'll.

Is your car front wheel drive? If the spare is in the front, I'd be more than careful.

Originally Posted by derrty6232

I currently have a spare on my car right now and I'm having no problems going 80+ mph on the freeway.[color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]

Full sized spare FTW.
[/color]

Damn homie 80+ on a spare? I bet you like playin russian roulette too?
laugh.gif

I wouldn't risk it...10 miles maybe but 20?
laugh.gif

Ask a friend with a pickup truck to take you there and get the tires to bring back

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

drive train issues, alignment issues. so much is at stake. I would fear buying used cars from some of ya'll.

Is your car front wheel drive? If the spare is in the front, I'd be more than careful.

all wheel drive. its on the back.

No sharp turns, sudden braking, over speed limit and fast take offs.. You should be ok.

Last year I had a major flat tire while i was driving to school to take my finals. I drove on my spare another 15 miles going about 70mph just to get to class in time + another 30 miles going back home. I wouldn't suggest doing it but it worked for me....

Back
Top Bottom