Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

Serious question, and maybe this was addressed earlier.

DOES he shy away from discussing blackness? Does he avoid discussing his race and thoughts on politics?

I read his WWF autobiography in middle school. He was pretty open about being half black and how important it was to him to embrace that as much as his Samoan side.

He’s also been pretty open about being republican and religious (being raised in Florida and Polynesian) but also anti-current repunlican party.

I’ve never really seen him shy away from discussing anything?

I had that same book. That's why I'm also confused at some of these allegations and comparisons to Tiger. Rock has been one to embrace both sides if his heritage since I became a fan.

Serious question, and maybe this was addressed earlier.

DOES he shy away from discussing blackness? Does he avoid discussing his race and thoughts on politics?

I read his WWF autobiography in middle school. He was pretty open about being half black and how important it was to him to embrace that as much as his Samoan side.

He’s also been pretty open about being republican and religious (being raised in Florida and Polynesian) but also anti-current repunlican party.

I’ve never really seen him shy away from discussing anything?
I ASSUME people wish he spoke up about black ISSUES that we have been dealing with as of late.

Has he ever spoken out against Crooked Coppers killing Unarmed Black Men?

I know he has spoken out on "gun laws" (easy talking point).

Him mentioning his racial history in a book doesn't really mean much to people that are looking to him for a VOICE for us.

But again, he has an image that he wants to uphold, so he can do as he wants. Maybe he doesn't want THAT pressure (yet).

I think niketalker23 hit the nail on the head. People see this as an issue because he looks 100% Polynesian.

I had that same book. That's why I'm also confused at some of these allegations and comparisons to Tiger. Rock has been one to embrace both sides if his heritage since I became a fan.
Him mentioning his racial background vs. Him speaking out on the ills that black people face in this country aren't the same.

Whenever EYE have heard him SPEAK/DISCUSS his race, he refers to himself as Samoan.

I have never heard him say, "I am not black" though, but he clearly grabs on to his Samoan side more strongly.

I ASSUME people wish he spoke up about black ISSUES that we have been dealing with as of late.

Him mentioning his racial history in a book doesn't really mean much to people that are looking to him for a VOICE for us.

But again, he has an image that he wants to uphold, so he can do as he wants. Maybe he doesn't want THAT pressure (yet).

This is also a problem with us. Not everyone is meant to speak out on social issues. Especially if they can't articulate it in a way that's genuine.

Him mentioning his racial background vs. Him speaking out on the ills that black people face in this country aren't the same.

Whenever EYE have heard him SPEAK/DISCUSS his race, he refers to himself as Samoan.

I have never heard him say, "I am not black" though, but he clearly grabs on to his Samoan side more strongly.

He's mentioned his samoan heritage because is represented even less than the black heritage in the lexicon of entertainment and mostly cause of his grandfather which got him interested in wrestling to begin with. I've bever heard him shy away from being black or not embrace that aspect of his life. He talks about his dad quite often on social media.

I do also think the vast majority people perceive Dwayne as a black man as someone mentioned how others perceive you can sometimes change your perception of yourself.

But, IMO, I think the studio could've casted someone else for the role. I assume they offered the job to The Rock because he's marketable.

The Rock is a co-producer and the Jumanji director is directing it, so the Rock probably didn't have to do much to land the role. Pretty much gave it to himself I'm guessing.

Yeah, I forgot all about it until MVP MVP reminded me... I look at him verrry differently now. Disappointed really.

Just because his political party?

E2CE1D42-3D83-4028-93FD-0F1A43139758.gif

Idk why anyone is surprised at Rock, or anyone else that is wealthy is a Republican. Doesn't matter that much tbh, but if Will Smith or Nas came out supporting the republican party, wouldn't even shock me. Things are different once you reach a certain tax bracket.

Absolutely... The deplorable party has embraced white nationalist - white supremisct agenda whole heartedly (among other agendas).

If you don’t vehmetly stand against that, then you’re a scumbag deplorable to.

Last edited:
Absolutely... The deplorable party has embraced white nationalist - white supremisct agenda while heartedly (among other agendas).

There is definitely more nuance to politics man.

Again, instead of simply looking at his default party (and losing respect for THAT), why can't we look at how he feels/speaks on SPECIFIC issues?

Absolutely... The deplorable party has embraced white nationalist - white supremisct agenda while heartedly (among other agendas).

Nah bruh. The democratic party is just as detrimental to blacks as the Republicans. This is coming from someone who identifies as Democrat on voting documents. You'd be a fool to think of one as higher than the other as a black person in this country.

Oh, you’re one of those then huh? Lol. Carry on then.

There is definitely more nuance to politics man.

Again, instead of simply looking at his default party (and losing respect for THAT), why can't we look at how he feels/speaks on SPECIFIC issues?

I mean, is that too much to ask nowadays? :lol:

“You’re red? Well F you then” :rofl:

I agree, especially bothers me that we look to our entertainers as the leading voices of our struggle.

But I think that is by design but it still bothers me.

This this this. People keep looking to celebrities to speak out on issues they're likely not even directly facing in their day to day lives.

We don't need celebrities to speak for us. Dudes don't even wanna get out and impact their local level elections but want millionaires to be a voice for the issues they don't even have to really consider.

The Rock is a damn millionaire movie star with global recognition. The wildest part is if dude did come out and speak on issues, cats would be on Twitter talking about "what does he know about being black" within minutes :lol:

yeah, he has:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-rock-colin-kaepernicks-protest-2018-4

He said if he was in the league today he woulda knelt or raised his fist and he called out Trump's response: "I felt like our president's responses were being dictated by the noise and not the actual problem." That's more than a lot of current Black players have said.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/112807/blacks-conservative-republicans-some-moral-issues.aspx

It's funny that black people demonize are there black people for being Republicans when black Americans are the most socially conservative voting block (LGBT rights, religiousity, abortion) in the country

i dont think the hate is necessarily centered around their conservative values though. its that the political machine that claims to champion conservative values is also the party of the southern strategy in the past, and in some ways the present (look at the voting suppression going on all over the place)

but like i saida page or so back, you can be black and have conservative values, and be a republican but be against the perceived anti blackness of the party. but that voice isnt a very loud one on the right side of politics

Last edited:
I don't know if you guys follow politics too often, but Republicans are much worse for minorities compared to Democrats.

The Rock/Dwayne Johnson has always played the mixed race (black + whatever) fence sitter card. The celebrity mixed race fence sitters do so because they have two primary audiences they want to maintain the max amount of "likes" from, mostly black people and white people. We talkin about the same Rock who came up in the WWF as Rocky Maivia trying to pander to white wrestling fans. SWS wrestling fans saw right through it and booed him out the stadiums, telling him how much he sucked and they wanted him to die, he disappeared for a min and came back as smart mouthed, peoples eyebrow "The Rock", hurling insults at and making fun of people left and right and the SWS wrestling fans LOVED it. That was huge finally getting that white acceptance and it translated over to his acting career. Dwayne Johnson has not and will not ever do anything to mess up getting white peoples money.

Not only saw this based on his movies, which really have no substance to them whatesover and 75% of the time he's chasing after some snow bunny, but last year when the Unite the Right rally went on in Charlottesville, you had a ton of celebrities (black and white) speaking out against the alt-right and white supremacist in general. I somehow stumbled up his twitter page, this dude just posted tweets about his upcoming movie as well as various tweets with him playing suck-butt with (white) cops and (white) military members (he's a big fan of both). Same cops out here shooting black folks like target practice.

So yeah, if you looking for pro-blackness from a celeb, you aren't getting it from The Rock, anytime if ever. Not knocking anyone who enjoys his movies and wrestling career, but he obviously found out long ago that NOT pissing off white people will keep him rich. He isn't the first black celeb to operate like this and isn't the last. But we know all it takes is to piss off white people one time and they will get rid of you with zero problems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom