Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

The rock comes from a pro wrastlin background & has one foot in the world of body building which are both toxic white spaces.

And he is currently signed by UA who’s President has publicly expressed support for trump.

Its deeper than the rocks blood line connection. If you come off as unfamiliar with the black experience, some wont welcome you.

Look @ sage steele. Look @ key n peele. We not rockin with them.

Lil bibby n cole? Good money.

Its just one of them things.

Can you define “the black experience”?

Jason Kidd? Gone
Mariah Carey? Gone
Cassie? Gone
Halle Berry? Gone

None of them have done or said s***. They're not invited to the cookout

the list goes on...
Barack Obama is gone.

Black ppl don't want that L. They truly not so crazy to die on that hill.

Jordan Peele put out Get Out and went half on BlackKKKlansman. He's a mixed dude married to a white chick yeah but he is ALWAYS riding for black folks, he is cool people.

People didn't say that before Get Out. Cats didn't want Donald Glover until Atlanta and This is America. Then they found out he exclusively dates Asian women and didn't want him again.

Wow. Just wow. Can we get a running list on how to “be black”? Asking for a friend.

Here’s what I have so far:
Be a Democrat.
Marry a black woman.
Have swag.
If you are of a mixed heritage DO NOT celebrate the non-black side.
Identify with “the struggle”.
Speak out about.....?

I’m sure I missed some. The Rock chooses to produce a film about a black folk hero only to have people question his blackness? Because he cast himself? He should have made a Paul Bunyan movie.

So much ignorance in here.

It's hilarious. The same people who say dead black people aren't a monolith and can have different views, hobbies, etc. Are the same people keeping a running list of things you have to do to be considered black.

And if you're half black, you can't claim your other side and you have to go the extra mile to prove that you're black enough. These people make zero sense. :lol:

Jordan Peele put out Get Out and went half on BlackKKKlansman. He's a mixed dude married to a white chick yeah but he is ALWAYS riding for black folks, he is cool people.
Talk like this makes it seem like Peele is one Stacy Dash comment away from being "kicked out" of the black community.

**** given his humor and style he may be one joke or movie approach thats too smart in execution from getting the axe.

:smh: *** backwards *** ******.

Who's not rocking with Key and Peele? You tripping tripping
I'm not the type of person going around questioning black ppl's blackness but I don't find them ****** funny :lol:

Only really started messing with Peels whwn I saw he was more than some of his corny comedy and impressed the **** out of me with Get Out.

"Samoans ain't nothing but some mo ******"--- Paul Mooney

Back in junior high days, I convinced my friend that The Rock was my Dominican cousin. Shouts to those gullible days. Back then, a lot of people didn't know what he was and the internet wasn't popping like that back then.

People didn't say that before Get Out. Cats didn't want Donald Glover until Atlanta and This is America. Then they found out he exclusively dates Asian women and didn't want him again.

So what ya saying is, biracials need that one moment to be Blackity Black Black Y'all? If Gambino and Peele got theirs, why can't The Rock? If this John Henry **** pops off it might push him to do more work in that vein.

There's no definition. You are or you aren't. I'm not saying he isn't black. I'm saying he's not black enough for the part. He's a mixed man. And he looks mixed. Actually, he looks samoan 100%, but whatever. In most lights, he's really lightskined. I'm comparing him only to the context of the actual character. John Henry has been portrayed in a lot of ways throughout history...lightskin has never been one of them..especially considering he was a field slave.

*nothing personally against the rock, lightskin people (I'm not the darkest), or anything like that. MY argument is solely based on him being cast as John Henry over the multitude of black people that were more fitting in the looks department. Imo, the rock isn't relatable for black people if it was solely based on looks. But white people like Rock, and he's the type of black guy they want to market.

Rock comes out ultra tan.. in black face, hands is getting thrown.

I understand what your saying.

I just disagree with your logic.

I just remembered that they waz tryna put Denzel with a white love interest for years and he gave it the stiff arm. The Rock definitely has more pull than Denzel in the 90's.

It's hilarious. The same people who say dead black people aren't a monolith and can have different views, hobbies, etc. Are the same people keeping a running list of things you have to do to be considered black.

And if you're half black, you can't claim your other side and you have to go the extra mile to prove that you're black enough. These people make zero sense. :lol:
What you saying goes a lot deeper than just "black people won't accept lightskin people unless..." Slavery, house slaves, blue vein society. Black people ain't make these rules.

Yes I know he is half black, half "Samoan". What is "Samoan/Samoa"? An island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. I've seen "Samoans" with dark skin and nappy afro's the size of beach-balls.

That's one of those games darker skinned non-white people of the world like to play in order to distance themselves from being black/Africans. I'm Samoan, I'm Domincan, I'm Puerto Rican, I'm Haitian. Naming all of these places populated by dark skinned African looking people yet somehow "I'm mixed".

man what? this gotta be one of the stupidest comment i've seen and everyone who liked this comment is a damn fool.

oh yea, "i've seen Samoans with dark skin and nappy afro." yup, there black now even those majority of samoans look like south east asians. News flash, most Samoans are far from having dark skin and Afro hair. Next thing you know you're gonna tell me filipinos are black. Let me guess, they called themselves 'filipino" to distance themselves from black people, right? lets just forget their history, culture, language, etc.. right?

lets just group everyone with dark skin as black bc their all selfhating black people.

Disgusting. You see Samoans as a color rather than a group of people.

"dark skinned non-white people like to be known as their RIGHTFUL ethnicity so they can distant themselves from black people."

yup, an ignorant generalization. not saying it doesnt happen, but to even say something like that (esp for Samoans) proves my point.

im just gonna leave this here.

Reactions: OTG
Just to be clear @MalcolmNewton

You truly believe that anyone with dark skin is of African ancestry?

Dominicans and Puerto Ricans denying being mixed with black Africans is a completely different thing than Samoans, who seriously aren't black, or dark for that matter denying African ancestry. (As if being dark denotes African ancestry in the first place)

Go on ahead with that Paul Mooney pseudoscience bs. Samoans aren't black just like Australian aborigines aren't black.

Reactions: OTG
Her mom is half black I think
dad is filipino

Her parents
download-1.jpg

man what? this gotta be one of the stupidest comment i've seen and everyone who liked this comment is a damn fool.

oh yea, "i've seen Samoans with dark skin and nappy afro." yup, there black now even those majority of samoans look like south east asians. News flash, most Samoans are far from having dark skin and Afro hair. Next thing you know you're gonna tell me filipinos are black. Let me guess, they called themselves 'filipino" to distance themselves from black people, right? lets just forget their history, culture, language, etc.. right?

lets just group everyone with dark skin as black bc their all selfhating black people.

Disgusting. You see Samoans as a color rather than a group of people.

"dark skinned non-white people like to be known as their RIGHTFUL ethnicity so they can distant themselves from black people."

yup, an ignorant generalization. not saying it doesnt happen, but to even say something like that (esp for Samoans) proves my point.

im just gonna leave this here.

OG polys are dark. Especially Samoan & Tongans. We people of the sun

Back
Top Bottom