Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

Dang

This is good for the rock and it’s a kid show...they aren’t worried about him speaking on black issues lol

So cause he’s half black he shouldn’t play this part...? Be happy for him instead

What actor is out there being a real life black panther ? Lol none of them

The big point that most people are missing behind all this is that the Rock's production company, 7 Bucks production, is producing this film. More than likely the only reason this film being made it all is because of his attached to it.

Rock is fine for this role

"Not black enough "

Who gets to decide that?

Random people on Twitter, apparently. And it's purely subjective. It depends on how much they like you and how they feel about your work and if you're outspoken enough on social issues. No one says Jesse Williams isn't black enough and he's more light-skinned than the Rock.

He might be half black but he looks 100% Polynesian and that’s the problem.

This is as bad as when he played Hercules.

I think you're getting a little bit too meta about it. So you're saying, that an actor can't portray a certain character on film because he doesn't talk about certain topics in his real life?

I never said he couldn't do anything... I'm just pointing out that this is a fact, Rocky never speaks on issues or even try to come off as black besides being in a wrestling faction lol

Again, I love the Rock I use to say back in the late 90s that that was my dad (silly I know but I was a kid! Lol) but in my life he's never made a statement or stance and at this time more than ever that's important... I'd still see the flick cus it is him but doesn't negate the facts of his silence and past racial ambiguity in other films

Dang

This is good for the rock and it’s a kid show...they aren’t worried about him speaking on black issues lol

So cause he’s half black he shouldn’t play this part...? Be happy for him instead

What actor is out there being a real life black panther ? Lol none of them
I hope you're black, out here telling black folks how to feel

Crazy thing is, some of these polynesians look black just like the Australian aborigines. Black people migrated out of Africa long before Europeans hopped on boats and started colonizing. Let's not forget.
I get that but it doesn’t change the fact that the rock looks 100% Polynesian.

Further showing your age/ignorance

Who is John Henry.

:smh:
Ignorance aside, how are people gonna be salty about a dude who they say never embraces his blackness but has recently been cast in a role that is inseparable from black history? Do people not see the irony in that?

Rock is Black but him and Vin Diesel have been the 2 top tier Black Movie Stars in Hollywood to have advantages over the others as they're deemed "Racially Ambigious" Rock can go playing Greek, Egyptian, Nigerian, Black American, White, Polynesian roles. There's even talks of him being in the Crazy Rich Asians sequel. He's usually had white female love interests in everything, fine *** Joy Bryant is the first black female love interest i seen for him on Ballers this season

He's only 5'9, this would be Michael Clarke Duncan if he was still alive. Winston Duke, Terry Crews, Mike Colter, Brian Tyree Henry could be candidates for this role

Should have had John David Washington play this role. The Rock is a biscuit boy.

Ignorance aside, how are people gonna be salty about a dude who they say never embraces his blackness but has recently been cast in a role that is inseparable from black history? Do people not see the irony in that?

I can force myself to see THAT irony.

I can EASILY see why people are bothered that the role of JH was given to a man that never embraced his blackness

nah bruh. rock not black enough for this. idgaf. he more samoan than black. There's plenty of black actors to play this part.

Rock's dad looks more like John Henry than any of you, and I'm sure if Dwayne turned down the role because he didn't feel he was black enough for it, the outrage would be going the opposite way.

main-qimg-f535f64eba88cd4a5854358e65b91001

PMgCgU8a14vaT3AO8ZBS93Y6Da6W__e4vxPNwCWbwU8-ybVbLqZv3aFmEU9NleQdnHKg1uGQ41Mx_hlFnN2Sk1LeDHhUzbBb2u8oHdcwzJAg8BThd_cuISqHrKsomjwP9HWffT14TJded1ZWDQ

Back
Top Bottom