Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

He was a member of the Nation of Domination, black enough for me
tumblr_mdnjyed9S01r324lio10_r1_250.gif

Please read my comment again, I wasn't the one making this about his looks, I think you missed a few things. The lightskinned folks slacktivists do rock with have to go EXTRA hard to "prove" themselves to a bunch of strangers on the internet. They don't have an assumed aura of being "pro black", that's the double standard that I'm pointing out.
The "going hard" part doesn't apply to Dwayne because he opted not to address what he is. Of course the others might feel like they have to do it, but before those others were introduced into the convo, we acknowledged that Rock simply shies away from those convos.

His decision. He has to live with it

we acknowledged that Rock simply shies away from those convos.
And how should that affect him being cast as a black folk hero, it's a complete 180 on his "silence". I just don't understand why people get hella mad over people moving differently than they do. Shouldn't the only thing that matters in this situation be that he ever did IT (getting the role for JH) at all?

And how should that affect him being cast as a black folk hero, it's a complete 180 on his "silence". I just don't understand why people get hella mad over people moving differently than they do. Shouldn't the only thing that matters in this situation be that he ever did IT (getting the role for JH) at all?
Again, he SHOULD do whatever he WANTS to do. There is no rule book here as to how someone should move.

But folks in here are simply discussing why the black community isn't really trying to see HIM in THAT project.

So we should erase the word SHOULD from this conversation.

It is simple cause and effect, you act a certain way and you will alienate a certain demographic.

He didn't even get the role, his production company is doing it.

I don't get it either. Like I get it but I don't. I don't look at him sideways either way and I don't think most people really care tbh. People are just able to be vocal and catch steam on the internet with hot topics and here we are :lol:

Again, he SHOULD do whatever he WANTS to do. There is no rule book here as to how someone should move.

But folks in here are simply discussing why the black community isn't really trying to see HIM in THAT project.

So we should erase the word SHOULD from this conversation.

It is simple cause and effect, you act a certain way and you will alienate a certain demographic.
We SHOULD use words as freely as possible, this a conversation, not a court case, there's no RIGHT or WRONG here. And since when did a few tweets decide how the whole of the black community feels on this, I bet as with most things twitter blows up, most people don't give a damn. And you're right there is no rulebook here in this thread, but don't pretend like there isn't a sweeping "no true Scotsman" approach on twitter and on this very site about how a black person should and shouldn't move.

Michael Jai White. But no one would go see it.

Dude from The Green Mile would have been perfect, but RIP.

Cash grab by the studio producing it because folks flock to Rock movies like flies on poop. :lol:

Michael Jai White. But no one would go see it.

Dude from The Green Mile would have been perfect, but RIP.

Cash grab by the studio producing it because folks flock to Rock movies like flies on poop. :lol:
And pre-sus Ving rhames :lol:

I used to get teased for being black
And now I'm here and I'm not black enough
'Cause I'm not acting tough
Or making stories up 'bout where I'm actually from, yeah
But I just roll with it, momma, rolling stone with it, momma

This not black enough **** gotta stop.

Blacks come in all different shades.

Blacks come from all different social classes.

Neighborhoods.

Countries.

Education.

Political parties.

Black is not one thing.

Never heard not white enough.
Of course you haven't, they use white people even when the role calls for something else. A native American..Asian..African....etc...all white throughout the history of the entertainment business

For a black man they want to use a Samoan.

Foh.

He ain't black enough for the part. I got time today.

Plus if his production company is putting up the bread it shows that maybe it's a project he's passionate about and maybe that's the start of him doing more pro black **** to satisfy hotep Twitter.

Exactly. I hate when being 'pro-black' is condensed down to who you date/marry. There a very successful black men who start black businesses, employ black people, donate/establish black charities, contribute to black communities but they're not considered pro-black by internet hoteps who do nothing except talk.

Of course you haven't, they use white people even when the role calls for something else. A native American..Asian..African....etc...all white throughout the history of the entertainment business

Foh.

Why is he not black enough?

What are the criteria for being black?

I got time too my *****.

Foh.

BET IF THE ROCK TURNED THE ROLL DOWN YOU’D HAVE SOMTHING ELSE TO SAY TOO HUH?

BET IF THE ROCK TURNED THE ROLL DOWN YOU’D HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO SAY TOO HUH?

LOL of course. The Rock is in a no win situation. If he takes the role, he's not black enough to play John Henry. If he turns down the role, he's not willing to embrace his black side, not proud of being black, wants to maintain his ethnically ambiguous status, etc.

Hol up!? Did he say I think hes the 2nd best, or what I clearly heard him say? He still works for ESPN?

Back
Top Bottom