Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

uso’s Claim he ain’t Samoan enough either. Must be tough being mixed these days

Spends years playing racially ambiguous roles

"He doesn't embrace being black, there's always white women, he should speak about black issues in America"

Produces movie about black folk hero his dad taught him about as a kid

"He's not even really black, why didn't they get ____ to do this, he's biracial though"

:lol:

At first i'm like nah, this sounds like a Zoe Saldana Nina Simone situation. Then thought about it and him dropped in that situation his level of blackness would make no difference. Does seem like a bit of an escalation though as he's never really played "black" so folks will have to adjust to see him that way.

There is nothing wrong with never speaking on public issues. Some people like to keep their opinions to themselves and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I don’t know
I can see what ur saying
But if u have a platform
To inspire
And to spark change
And to speak on injustices
And things like that
I think ur chicken ****
If u don’t use it
U can use it to try and have folks come see ur movie
But won’t help or support the ones
That actually support u

As some of you may have heard, The Rock is set to play Black Folk Hero, John Henry in an upcoming movie.

https://people.com/movies/dwayne-johnson-netflix-john-henry-movie
Black twitter is pissed because a half black actor is cast to play the role. If you google it, there's already been a dozen think pieces written about how much they hate The Rock in this role.

In the eyes of many, Johnson isn't black enough to play John Henry in skin tone or attitude (in the eyes of some, he doesn't 'claim' his black side enough). I get that part of Johnson's success is his racial ambiguity (I've seen movies where he's mixed, others where's he's black and others where his family is straight up white :lol:) but that doesn't make him any less black.

My issue with this is that the same people who are calling out the Rock for not being black enough are the same people who are quick to claim Meghan Markle as one of their own. They can't have it both ways. Thoughts? :nerd:
Funny, we was just having this discussion in the music forum. Rock and his people know how to market him to white people. He's always playing some unknown race character or they'll just put him with a all white family.

cfa1b62a-04c2-11e5-8e23-f8d979b03488-780x519.jpg

His daughter in San Andreas ain't have no tan, no curl, nothing. :lol:

I used to get teased for being black
And now I'm here and I'm not black enough
'Cause I'm not acting tough
Or making stories up 'bout where I'm actually from, yeah
But I just roll with it, momma, rolling stone with it, momma
Wait ur black???
Pics??? :nerd:

I don’t know
I can see what ur saying
But if u have a platform
To inspire
And to spark change
And to speak on injustices
And things like that
I think ur chicken ****
If u don’t use it
U can use it to try and have folks come see ur movie
But won’t help or support the ones
That actually support u
Not that I disagree with you here but race issues aside, Rock is one of the most inspirational people out there.

They dont want a black guy black guy..they want a passable black guy thats black enough.

Field slaves werent the mixed ones.

Midas Whale let blake griffin do it since there's no quantify for blackness.

Funny, we was just having this discussion in the music forum. Rock and his people know how to market him to white people. He's always playing some unknown race character or they'll just put him with a all white family.

Had huge *** spring break boobs though

I know they said back at WWF he didn't want to be called black, he wanted to be Samoan. I tried to google this but I couldn't find any old articles about it. I think he also didn't want to be in the Domination click but Vince placed him there. I can't find anything about it though, maybe it was all rumors back then.

Rodney CTE Harrison said “Collin kaepernick isn’t even black” and later had to apologize for his extreme ignorance

There’s a sound bite somewhere

I remember this happening live, **** was comedy. He was on twitter like why does he care about black issues anyways. Then found out he was half black and said oh, i didn't know he was. Hahahahahaha, he got killed that day.

Tariq Nasheed stays going in on Rock’s characters :lol:

Back
Top Bottom