Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

freeze freeze

What's your definition of black?

Not to single you out but I **** with you and am kinda surprised at you for this.

Shame :smh:

There's no definition. You are or you aren't. I'm not saying he isn't black. I'm saying he's not black enough for the part. He's a mixed man. And he looks mixed. Actually, he looks samoan 100%, but whatever. In most lights, he's really lightskined. I'm comparing him only to the context of the actual character. John Henry has been portrayed in a lot of ways throughout history...lightskin has never been one of them..especially considering he was a field slave.

*nothing personally against the rock, lightskin people (I'm not the darkest), or anything like that. MY argument is solely based on him being cast as John Henry over the multitude of black people that were more fitting in the looks department. Imo, the rock isn't relatable for black people if it was solely based on looks. But white people like Rock, and he's the type of black guy they want to market.

Rock comes out ultra tan.. in black face, hands is getting thrown.

It makes sense because the man obviously doesn't identify as being black.
You raccooning too.

How are you going to say as if you know for a fact that a black man doesn't identify himself as because of your made up qualifications and state what he does as an actor as proof.

Some of the dumbest **** I've come across.

So I'll just repeat myself

I just feel anyone who tries to diminish and denigrate a black person in that manner is a ***** made punk *** ignorant *****.

Plus just seems like y'all mad about aspects of movies the Rock is in that have nothing to do with him being black.

But like I said go ahead if you want to. I'm just calling it like I see it.

The Rock/Dwayne Johnson has always played the mixed race (black + whatever) fence sitter card. The celebrity mixed race fence sitters do so because they have two primary audiences they want to maintain the max amount of "likes" from, mostly black people and white people. We talkin about the same Rock who came up in the WWF as Rocky Mavia trying to pander to white wrestling fans. SWS wrestling fans saw right through it and booed him out the stadiums, telling him how much he sucked and they wanted him to die, he disappeared for a min and came back as smart mouth, peoples eyebrow "The Rock" hurling insults making fun of people left and right and the SWS wrestling fans LOVED it. The was huge finally getting that white acceptance and it translated over to his acting career. Dwayne Johnson has not and will not ever do anything to mess up getting white peoples money.

Not only saw this based on his movies which really have no substance to them whatesover and 75% of the time his chasing after some snow bunny, but last year when the Unite the Right rally went on in Charlottesville, you had a ton of celebrities (black and white) speaking out against the alt-right and white supremacist in general. I somehow stumbled up his twitter page, this dude just posted tweets about his upcoming movie as well as various tweets with him playing suck-butt with (white) cops and (white) military members (he's a big fan of both). Same cops out here shooting black folks like target practice.

So yeah, if you looking for pro-blackness from a celeb, you aren't getting it from The Rock, anytime if ever. Not knocking anyone who enjoys his movies and wrestling career, but he obviously found out long ago that NOT pissing off white people will keep him rich. He isn't the first black celeb to operate like this and isn't the last. But we know all it takes is to piss off white people one time and they will get rid of you with zero problems.

You know Rock isn't half white right...? His mother's last name is Maiavia. She's Samoan.

And who else does pro-wrestling appeal to except for the White fans. Even the nation of domination which was conceived as being the black fans wrestling group was a racist satire of the nation of islam.

The Rocky Maiavia angle didn't fail because of its racial tones and pandering. It failed because he had no personality. He was still Rocky Maiavia when he joined The Nation. He just was no longer swaggerless. The Rock character came along a little later as his mic presence grew.

The stuff about his Twitter feed... you also realize 99% of celebrities don't run their own social media right? Idk man.

People act like in order to embrace your blackness, you have to tattoo I'm woke on your forehead and speak at conventions

You know Rock isn't half white right...? His mother's last name is Maiavia. She's Samoan.

Yes I know he is half black, half "Samoan". What is "Samoan/Samoa"? An island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. I've seen "Samoans" with dark skin and nappy afro's the size of beach-balls.

That's one of those games darker skinned non-white people of the world like to play in order to distance themselves from being black/Africans. I'm Samoan, I'm Domincan, I'm Puerto Rican, I'm Haitian. Naming all of these places populated by dark skinned African looking people yet somehow "I'm mixed".

Yes I know he is half black, half "Samoan". What is "Samoan/Samoa"? An island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. I've seen "Samoans" with dark skin and nappy afro's the size of beach-balls.

That's one of those games darker skinned non-white people of the world like to play in order to distance themselves from being black/Africans. I'm Samoan, I'm Domincan, I'm Puerto Rican, I'm Haitian. Naming all of these places populated by dark skinned African looking people yet somehow "I'm mixed".

Preach. I wonder if he was closer to his father's color or darker would there be any issue at all.

Just caught this thread but...

This role was made for someone like Michael Clark Duncan... Unfortunately, the film wasn't made in his time with us, sooo I mean it is what it is. They need someone who is physically imposing... The rock has been doing what it takes to keep his physique ready for these roles

Terry Crews just isnt country enough. Michael Jai White would be better. Shannon Sharpe also comes to mind
But dont hate on the rock just to hate. Offer alternatives

Last edited:

But Rock has never said he's not Black. He just acknowledges his mother's culture which is different than that of the Black Canadian culture his dad was born into. I'm Nigerian. 100% Igbo. But if I was half Yoruba I would identify as such. The recognition of another culture does not equal the denial of Blackness.

I don't see your issue with the Rock other than 1. He also acknowledges his Samoan heritage, and 2. He's lightskinned.

I don't see how your point of Samoans/Puerto Ricans/Dominicans/Haitians claiming to not be black pertains to the Rock unless you're accusing him of also doing that. If not... it sounds like you're angry he isn't dark skinned and doesn't publicly proclaim his identity the way you want him to do so.

Which... well there's irony there.

You raccooning too.

How are you going to say as if you know for a fact that a black man doesn't identify himself as because of your made up qualifications and state what he does as an actor as proof.

Some of the dumbest **** I've come across.

So I'll just repeat myself

I just feel anyone who tries to diminish and denigrate a black person in that manner is a ***** made punk *** ignorant *****.

Plus just seems like y'all mad about aspects of movies the Rock is in that have nothing to do with him being black.

But like I said go ahead if you want to. I'm just calling it like I see it.
Lol.
How am I denigrating him? I'm only speaking to what he puts out there. I feel like you're too hurt by this. No person with any self respect is going to allow anyone to portray them as anything other than what they are. As famous as the rock has been the past few years, people shouldn't still be surprised to find out that he is half black. Admit it or not, he plays a role in that.

Nah bruh. The democratic party is just as detrimental to blacks as the Republicans. This is coming from someone who identifies as Democrat on voting documents. You'd be a fool to think of one as higher than the other as a black person in this country.

Everything has to be either or man. One side vs. the Other side.

I just want to know why there is so much faith in the DEM party. Lesser of two evils doesn't mean either is free of ridicule.
Dems & the deplorables are certainly culpable for all the woes minorities feel especially black people. That goes without saying. Anyone whose followered politics knows the clintons have a terrible history themselves with draconian tough on crime laws that didn’t work & the infamous “super predator” remark.

But the statements posted make the presumption that there is a better alternative when there is not. Not voting because you didn’t like the option you had? Look where that has gotten us. We can most certainly expect another 4 years of this BS & another 1 or possibly 2 deplorable judges added to the Supreme Court.

Fact is for me, the democrats have leadership (for lack of a better more appropriate term) that I identify with & are more closely aligned with however flawed they may be.

If you’re affiliated with the deplorables, for me & my family, I don’t mess with you at all. PERIOD. You’re a POS in my book. We’ve come to a point in time where that party is synonymous with white supremacist/fascism & their agenda that is clear.

I guess we’ll agree to disagree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I'm Samoan, I'm Domincan, I'm Puerto Rican, I'm Haitian. Naming all of these places populated by dark skinned African looking people yet somehow "I'm mixed".

I agree with you, except that Samoan people aren't mixed with African nor have African origins. They're considered Austronesian(or Polynesian/Maori roughly). Some did settle in Madagascar, but they didn't arrive from mainland Africa. So they shouldn't be included with the other ethnicities(nationalities) you've mentioned.

Reactions: OTG
Lol.
How am I denigrating him? I'm only speaking to what he puts out there. I feel like you're too hurt by this. No person with any self respect is going to allow anyone to portray them as anything other than what they are. As famous as the rock has been the past few years, people shouldn't still be surprised to find out that he is half black. Admit it or not, he plays a role in that.

Not saying you're creating a straw man but who are these people who are suprised to learn he's half black?

I agree with you, except that Samoan people aren't mixed with African nor have African origins. They're considered Austronesian(or Polynesian/Maori roughly). Some did settle in Madagascar, but they didn't arrive from mainland Africa. So they shouldn't be included with the other ethnicities(nationalities) you've mentioned.

I think his point is that all dark skinned people are black. Not that they're all African.

Dems & the deplorables are certainly culpable for all the woes minorities feel especially black people. That goes without saying. Anyone whose followered politics knows the clintons have a terrible history themselves with draconian tough on crime laws that didn’t work & the infamous “super predator” remark.

But the statements posted make the presumption that there is a better alternative when there is not. Not voting because you didn’t like the option you had? Look where that has gotten us. We can most certainly expect another 4 years of this BS & another 1 or possibly 2 deplorable judges added to the Supreme Court.

Fact is for me, the democrats have leadership (for lack of a better more appropriate term) that I identify with & are more closely aligned with however flawed they may be.

If you’re affiliated with the deplorables, for me & my family, I don’t mess with you at all. PERIOD. You’re a POS in my book. We’ve come to a point in time where that party is synonymous with white supremacist/fascism & their agenda that is clear.

I guess we’ll agree to disagree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Calm down PSK

Just caught this thread but...

This role was made for someone like Michael Clark Duncan... Unfortunately, the film wasn't made in his time with us, sooo I mean it is what it is. They need someone who is physically imposing... The rock has been doing what it takes to keep his physique ready for these roles

Terry Crews just isnt country enough. Michael Jai White would be better. Shannon Sharpe also comes to mind
But dont hate on the rock just to hate. Offer alternatives

Some more thoughts on this:
  1. It's a Netflix joint so you know the budget, CGI (if needed) and post-production are not going to be great
  2. Rock's production company, including his ex-wife who manages his business interests are involved in this so this joint is just to push his 'brand' and get that paper as opposed to any kind of accuracy

Lol.
How am I denigrating him?
You just now reading that? :lol:

Hey man, you wanna go around saying black ppl ain't black or not black enough cuz of the demographic of their fictional families in movies and then act like you're not doing anything wrong and ***** made w/e but I ain't playing along.

A person's job does not determine if they are black or not.

You can say I'm angry or hurt or w/e else about this. I'm just calling it like I see it. You know exactly what you're doing. Go ahead boy.

Don't need to explain yourself to me.

Not saying you're creating a straw man but who are these people who are suprised to learn he's half black?
Folks on the internet. Also, I literally just asked 2 people at my job, and they both said Pacific islander. They didn't know he is half black.

I think his point is that all dark skinned people are black. Not that they're all African.
I disagree, there are dark Indian people, dark (Eastern) asianic people, dark middle-eastern(not north African) people, dark Maori people, etc...who I wouldn't consider black.

Folks on the internet. Also, I literally just asked 2 people at my job, and they both said Pacific islander. They didn't know he is half black.

I mean... that's on them right? :lol:

I'd wager that they don't know Mariah is black either?

I disagree, there are dark Indian people, dark (Eastern) asianic people, dark middle-eastern(not north African) people, dark Maori people, etc...who I wouldn't consider black.

Haha I didn't say that I agree. I come from a culture that doesn't identify with pigmentation as much as it does "what village are you from?"

Back
Top Bottom