Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

Some more thoughts on this:
  1. It's a Netflix joint so you know the budget, CGI (if needed) and post-production are not going to be great
  2. Rock's production company, including his ex-wife who manages his business interests are involved in this so this joint is just to push his 'brand' and get that paper as opposed to any kind of accuracy

Feels like you're just making a lot of assumptions.

Dems & the deplorables are certainly culpable for all the woes minorities feel especially black people. That goes without saying. Anyone whose followered politics knows the clintons have a terrible history themselves with draconian tough on crime laws that didn’t work & the infamous “super predator” remark.

But the statements posted make the presumption that there is a better alternative when there is not. Not voting because you didn’t like the option you had? Look where that has gotten us. We can most certainly expect another 4 years of this BS & another 1 or possibly 2 deplorable judges added to the Supreme Court.

Fact is for me, the democrats have leadership (for lack of a better more appropriate term) that I identify with & are more closely aligned with however flawed they may be.

If you’re affiliated with the deplorables, for me & my family, I don’t mess with you at all. PERIOD. You’re a POS in my book. We’ve come to a point in time where that party is synonymous with white supremacist/fascism & their agenda that is clear.

I guess we’ll agree to disagree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But the Rock has little to nothing in common with the common black folks in America. So him being a republican vs. TIM FROM around the corner being republican isn't the same thing.

That is why I asked, why does it HAVE to be either or?

Haha I didn't say that I agree. I come from a culture that doesn't identify with pigmentation as much as it does "what village are you from?"
I see. I just imagine that those people would take offense to be called black even though alot are darker than alot of Africans. I would never call any of them black if they don't want to be considered black. Hell, I met an Nigerian guy in college that didn't want to be called black and some other dude from Chicago that wanted to be called African American exclusively.

But the Rock has little to nothing in common with the common black folks in America. So him being a republican vs. TIM FROM around the corner being republican isn't the same thing.

I agree, The Rock doesn’t seem to identify with black folks & “the struggle”. I don’t ever remember him speaking out about the various injustices & such.

Separate from that, it’s how I feel with the deplorable party today & any POS affiliated with them at this point.

Last edited:

He's also not a Republican anymore. He identified as a republican in 2000 and spoke at the RNC. He's anti-Trump and anti-tea party and currently identifies as an Independent.

I agree, The Rock doesn’t seem to identify with black folks & “the struggle”. I don’t ever remember him speaking out about the various injustices & such.

Separate from that, it’s how I feel with the deplorable party today & any POS affiliated with them at this point.
That is a wild way to view life because all Republicans aren't created equally.

The same way all DEMS Aren't created equally.

There is simply more aspects of a pwrson than their religious affiliation.

People are complex and to call someone a POS simply for being a republican is very close minded.

This statement is based on what exactly? How do you know this?
I am strictly speaking on socio-economic issues that the wealthy deal with vs. Those that common folks deal with.

Just speaking dollars and cents.

I should have specified that

Like I said DC, we will agree to disagree. I’ve never met a deplorable that was a respectable person... EVER. It’s an even more stark contrast nowadays. That party has irrevocably defined themselves more than they ever have.

I see. I just imagine that those people would take offense to be called black even though alot are darker than alot of Africans. I would never call any of them black if they don't want to be considered black. Hell, I met an Nigerian guy in college that didn't want to be called black and some other dude from Chicago that wanted to be called African American exclusively.

Oh I'm Black and I identify as such. But when you have relatives begging you not to date someone who is also Black because they were born 3 hours away from you in the same country, or speak a different language, or worship a different deity, then you realize -- well I think you get my point. Ethnocentrism isn't just about color.

Just cuz a person looks like me doesn't mean they need to identify the way I expect them to.

He's also not a Republican anymore. He identified as a republican in 2000 and spoke at the RNC. He's anti-Trump and anti-tea party and currently identifies as an Independent.
Ok, now we can dead the issue of him being affiliated with the Republicans now. He obviously doesn't like the conservatives that took over.

Like I said DC, we will agree to disagree. I’ve never met a deplorable that was a respectable person... EVER. It’s an even more stark contrast nowadays.

First of all, this is faulty because I am sure you don't know the political affiliation of every human you meet. So how can you even make such a claim? Stop and think about what you are saying.

That is funny because I have met PLENTY of DEMS that were horrible human beings.

Exposure has alot to do with it.

Is it safe to say that most people you are around, in general, share the same mentality as you?

I would say to juat open your mind and stop trying to box everyone in one box

I ASSUME people wish he spoke up about black ISSUES that we have been dealing with as of late.

Has he ever spoken out against Crooked Coppers killing Unarmed Black Men?

I know he has spoken out on "gun laws" (easy talking point).

Him mentioning his racial history in a book doesn't really mean much to people that are looking to him for a VOICE for us.

But again, he has an image that he wants to uphold, so he can do as he wants. Maybe he doesn't want THAT pressure (yet).

If that's the standard, I guess Michael Jordan ain't black either :lol::lol::lol:

yeah, he has:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-rock-colin-kaepernicks-protest-2018-4

He said if he was in the league today he woulda knelt or raised his fist and he called out Trump's response: "I felt like our president's responses were being dictated by the noise and not the actual problem." That's more than a lot of current Black players have said.

Nah. he's still not black enough based on some arbitrary hotep scale. He needs to only date/marry black women and give AT LEAST 50% of his income to black charities to be considered black.

The rock comes from a pro wrastlin background & has one foot in the world of body building which are both toxic white spaces.

And he is currently signed by UA who’s President has publicly expressed support for trump.

Its deeper than the rocks blood line connection. If you come off as unfamiliar with the black experience, some wont welcome you.

Look @ sage steele. Look @ key n peele. We not rockin with them.

Lil bibby n cole? Good money.

Its just one of them things.

Oh I'm Black and I identify as such. But when you have relatives begging you not to date someone who is also Black because they were born 3 hours away from you in the same country, or speak a different language, or worship a different deity, then you realize -- well I think you get my point. Ethnocentrism isn't just about color.

Just cuz a person looks like me doesn't mean they need to identify the way I expect them to.
I agree. I dated a black girl who's parents were wary of me so we broke it off. Then right after, I started dating this Iranian girl who's parents were Muslim and they loved me.

If that's the standard, I guess Michael Jordan ain't black either :lol::lol::lol:

Nah. he's still not black enough based on some arbitrary hotep scale. He needs to only date/marry black women and give AT LEAST 50% of his income to black charities to be considered black.
Well notice I never said THAT makes Rock "non-black."

Wow. Just wow. Can we get a running list on how to “be black”? Asking for a friend.

Here’s what I have so far:
Be a Democrat.
Marry a black woman.
Have swag.
If you are of a mixed heritage DO NOT celebrate the non-black side.
Identify with “the struggle”.
Speak out about.....?

I’m sure I missed some. The Rock chooses to produce a film about a black folk hero only to have people question his blackness? Because he cast himself? He should have made a Paul Bunyan movie.

So much ignorance in here.

About to start a "why he dont want me" black person list for all celebs that play it safe or pander to whites for security and keeping the cash flowing.

Jason Kidd? Gone
Mariah Carey? Gone
Cassie? Gone
Halle Berry? Gone

None of them have done or said s***. They're not invited to the cookout

the list goes on...

Back
Top Bottom