dwight howard is about to foul out alot in the playoffs.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Magic center Dwight Howard added fuel to his on-goingfeud with NBA officials, conceding Sunday it's only a matter of timebefore he receives his 16th technical foul of the season, earning himan automatic one-game suspension without pay.

"The refs are like cops, and I'm on the Most Wanted list. My picture isin every cop station around the league,'' Howard joked after practiceSunday. "For every tech (they give me), they get a gold star. Fivestars, and they get promoted.''

Howard leads the league with 15 technical fouls, getting one in each ofthe last two games. He received one Wednesday night against San Antoniowhen, after a personal foul against him, he rolled the ball downcourt-- bowling style. He received one Thursday in Miami when he slammed theball down in frustration.

"I don't know if it's personal, or they (officials) are just trying tomake a point, but I thought the last couple on him were pretty cheap,where guys are looking for him,'' Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said. "Theone should have been just a delay of game. It's just guys (officials)wanting to give techs.''

After reaching 16 -- which could happen as early as Monday night inPhiladelphia -- Howard would get a second one-game suspension for everytwo additional technical fouls. The count resets for the playoffs,where it takes seven technicals before a player is suspended.

Based on his $15 million annual salary, a one-game suspension will costHoward $136,363. The individual technical fouls this season have costhim anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000, depending where he was on the count.

The Magic have 12 regular season games remaining and both he and VanGundy admit that avoiding a 16th technical sounds almost unrealistic.

Van Gundy, throughout the season, has talked about Howard beingofficiated differently than other NBA stars, believing he is penalizedunfairly because of his size and dominance around the basket.

Both he and Howard were in a joking mood about the technicals Sundayafter two days off. The Magic, with the second-best record in theEastern Conference, have 12 games remaining in the regular season.

"If he got 15 (technical fouls) in 70 games, the odds now aren't withus,'' Van Gundy said. "He could go (without another one), but the oddsare against us there. More than likely, it will happen, and then we'lldeal with it.''

Van Gundy certainly doesn't want the next technical to come Mondaybecause then Howard would miss Wednesday's game against the AtlantaHawks, who are the No. 3 spot in the East, just four games behind theMagic.

Howard's technical-foul problem is ironic in some regards because ofhis reputation as a nice guy away from the court, sometimes criticizedfor smiling too much on the court, and not having a killer instinct.Yet his constant debate over calls against him clearly have not madehim a favorite with officials.

"The technical fouls against him are weird,'' said Magic backup centerMarcin Gortat, who will get the start if Howard is suspended. "I'veseen Dwyane Wade and LeBron James complain way more than Dwight and notget any techs. The other night, D-Wade was crying so many times, andnothing happened. Dwight doesn't have to do much to get called forone.''

Veteran Vince Carter also came to Howard's defense Sunday, saying thefrustration he sees comes from the way Howard is officiated, whichisn't always fair in his eyes.

"They call me 'Little Rasheed Wallace,' '' Howard said.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2...cid=txtlnkusspor00000002

Nothing you can do about it...all you need to do is shut up and play, Dwight.. worked for Kobe.

but damn he got a T for rolling a ball?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh at these refs...

Originally Posted by Goldmember

Nothing you can do about it...all you need to do is shut up and play, Dwight.. worked for Kobe.
? Last I recall, Kobe complains all the time over fouls, unless I'm missing something.

All superstars argue over calls it seems like, but Dwight seems to constantly get bad calls for just being big and playing aggressively when going for rebounds and blocks.  Watching enough Magic games, I can definitely see why he complains as much, but considering the techs and the fact that the refs probably won't change the way they officiate, he needs to do his best to be quiet and not get suspended.

can't wait to see the bad calls in the cavs/magic series. niketalk is gonna be fun

Originally Posted by Big J 33

? Last I recall, Kobe complains all the time over fouls, unless I'm missing something.

All superstars argue over calls it seems like, but Dwight seems to constantly get bad calls for just being big and playing aggressively when going for rebounds and blocks.  Watching enough Magic games, I can definitely see why he complains as much, but considering the techs and the fact that the refs probably won't change the way they officiate, he needs to do his best to be quiet and not get suspended.

Kobe does complain a lot and he has 12 himself, but I dont see Dwight just doing these things 15 times in the season and getting called for all 15 of them. Its more like 15 techs for 50 things that he couldve gotten one on. Saying things are unfair I can deal with, but knowing you have only one more to go and saying it's impossible. %!%! Dwight, that is the dumbest $%$# I've heard. Just shut up and play, stop complaining and doing dumb stuff with the ball and you wont get one, if you do get one that's just ridiculous, the ref will get his, just ask Timmy.

Kobe whines a lot and most of his T's are deserved. But honestly though, you can feed me all the "shut up and play" stuff you want, but Dwight gets shafted more than any player I've ever watched.
laugh.gif
They will call the most ticky tack fouls on him. I mean I am a LAKERS fan and I got frustrated at some of the calls on Dwight in the Finals last year. If anybody has a right to complain it's him, though I know complaining isn't going to change anything.

It's a shame they've completely neutered big men on the defensive end in today's NBA.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Kobe whines a lot and most of his T's are deserved. But honestly though, you can feed me all the "shut up and play" stuff you want, but Dwight gets shafted more than any player I've ever watched.
laugh.gif
They will call the most ticky tack fouls on him. I mean I am a LAKERS fan and I got frustrated at some of the calls on Dwight in the Finals last year. If anybody has a right to complain it's him, though I know complaining isn't going to change anything.

It's a shame they've completely neutered big men on the defensive end in today's NBA.

You said it yourself, complaining wont do anything...sooooo all he can and should do is shut the !!%% up and play. Same could be said for anybody who has 15 at this point, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, anybody. The thing thats lame is that he's already putting it out there that he's probably still going to #!%!! about calls cause to him and SVG its "almost impossibe" for him not to. Ridiculous statement.

It's the same with Sheed. Giving techs for no damn reason. Refs are awful, in every major sport.

Refs do seem to have it out with Dwight....but at the same time, this man commits some of the most bone-headed fouls Ive ever seen from a star player. When he gets caught on a switch and he winds up on a small on the perimeter, dude STAYS reaching in tryna strip the ball or forgetting that he's not Shane Battier and tries to put body-up.

He just stays committing stupid fouls that adds to the bull**** calls the refs give him....

David Stern making sure already that his dream Finals matchup Lakers vs. Cavs Kobe vs. Lebron happens this season
laugh.gif

Stern privately saying to himself "Dwight Howard this year you & the Orlando Magic will not foil my dream Finals match up and Finals TV's ratings".

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

wow, didnt know he leads league in techs...

Can some please tell me how many technicals lebron james has? does he even have ONE....?

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

laugh.gif
kobe cries ALL the time!

Sounds like you do too...just sayin. Lebron has a whopping 3. Wade atleast has 8, Kobe has 12 and Baby Superman got 17 according to ESPN, haha

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

wow, didnt know he leads league in techs...

neither did I
Sheed does, he has 16. Dwight has 15 though.

Edit: Is this article right? I thought Sheed had the most.

No one is allowed to be a big, physical power player in todays game. It's kind of backwards now. I wish there was some way to corral floppers, but alas it is basically impossible.

Back
Top Bottom