Dying Young, Black (Michael Wilbon)

From today's Washington Post....

[h1]Dying Young, Black[/h1]
By Michael Wilbon
Wednesday, November 28, 2007; Page E01

If you're hoping to read about the on-field exploits of Sean Taylor, or a retrospective of his time with the Washington ********, it would probably be better if you cast your eyes to a piece elsewhere in this newspaper.

Seriously, you should stop right here.

Because we're going to have a different conversation in this space -- about the violent and senseless nature of the act that took his life, about trying to change course when those around you might not embrace such a change, about dying young and black in America, about getting the hell out of Dodge if at all possible.

I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard the news Monday morning that Sean Taylor had been shot in his home by an intruder. Angry? Yes. Surprised? Not even a little. It was only in June 2006 that Taylor, originally charged with a felony, pleaded no contest to assault and battery charges after brandishing a gun during a battle over who took his all-terrain vehicles in Florida. After that, an angry crew pulled up on Taylor and his boys and pumped at least 15 bullets into his sport-utility vehicle. So why would anybody be surprised? Had it been Shawn Springs, I would have been stunned. But not Sean Taylor.

It wasn't long after avoiding jail time and holding on to his football career that Taylor essentially said, "That's it, I'm out," to the world of glamorized violence he seemed comfortable negotiating earlier. Anybody you talk to, from Coach Joe Gibbs to Jeremy Shockey, his college teammate, will cite chapter and verse as to how Taylor was changing his life in obvious ways every day. He had a daughter he took everywhere. Gibbs said he attended team chapel services regularly. Everybody saw a difference, yet it didn't help him avoid a violent, fatal, tragic end.

Coincidence? We have no idea, not yet anyway. Could have been a random act, a break-in, something that happens every day in America, something that could happen to any one of us no matter how safe we think our neighborhood is. Could have been just that. But would it surprise me if it was more than that, if there was a distinct reason Taylor was sleeping with a machete under his bed? A machete. Even though his attorney and friend Richard Sharpstein says his instincts tell him "this was not a murder or a hit," would it stun me if Taylor was specifically targeted? Not one bit.

You see, just because Taylor was changing his life, don't assume the people who pumped 15 bullets into his SUV a couple of years ago were in the process of changing theirs. Maybe it was them, maybe not. Maybe it was somebody else who had a beef with Taylor a year earlier, maybe not. Maybe it was retribution or envy or some volatile combination.

Here's something we know: People close to Taylor, people he trusted to advise him, told him he'd be better off if he left South Florida, that anybody looking for him could find him in the suburbs of Miami just as easily as they could have found him at the U a few years ago. I'm told that Taylor was told to go north, to forget about Miami. I can understand why he would want to have a spot in or near his home town, but I sure wish he hadn't.

The issue of separating yourself from a harmful environment is a recurring theme in the life of black men. It has nothing to do with football, or Sean Taylor or even sports. To frame it as a sports issue is as insulting as it is naive. Most of us, perhaps even the great majority of us who grew up in big urban communities, have to make a decision at some point to hang out or get out.

The kid who becomes a pharmaceutical rep has the same call to make as the lawyer or delivery guy or accountant or sportswriter or football player: Cut off anybody who might do harm, even those who have been friends from the sandbox, or go along to get along.

Mainstream folks -- and, yes, this is a code word for white folks -- see high-profile athletes dealing with this dilemma and think it's specific to them, while black folks know it's everyday stuff for everybody, for kids with aspirations of all kinds -- even for a middle-class kid with a police-chief father, such as Taylor -- from South Central to Southeast to the South Side. Some do, some don't. Some will, some won't. Some can, some cannot. Often it's gut-wrenching. Usually, it's necessary. For some, it takes a little bit too long.

A recently retired future Hall of Fame NFL player called me the day Taylor was drafted by the ********, essentially recruiting a mentor for Taylor, somebody who knew D.C. well enough to tell Taylor what and who to avoid. The old pro thought Taylor wasn't that far from a pretty safe path but was worried about the trouble that can find a kid here in D.C., and certainly in Miami. The old pro had all the right instincts, didn't he? Taylor was only 24 when he died yesterday morning and from all credible accounts he seemed to be getting it in the last 18 months or so. But it's difficult to outrun the past, even with 4.4 speed in the 40. Running away from the kind of trouble we're talking about is harder than running in quicksand.

It's senseless and tragic either way, much in the same way Len Bias's death was senseless and tragic, and sparked so much examination, much of it resented. I drove to ******** Park yesterday morning and left rather quickly. It was way too much like the aftermath of Bias's death. We, the media, were camped out. Teammates walked in, not wanting to say anything, understandably. Some things are eerily similar. Bias was 22. Each had been with his institution, Bias at Maryland and Taylor with the ********, for four years. Everywhere you went in D.C. yesterday, Taylor was the conversation. And people of a certain age, from Dulles International Airport to Georgia Avenue, talked about how they were reminded of Bias's death. For many of us it's a defining moment in our lives.

Of course, there are enormous differences. We were so much more innocent in June 1986, and Bias's death was a complete shock. There was no warning, no hint that he had ever courted danger or that it had ever gone looking for him. And Bias, though unintentionally, harmed himself. Taylor, no matter what he might have been involved in at one time, was a victim in this violent episode, a man in his bedroom minding his own business.

But what they do share is dying too soon, unnecessarily so, while young and athletic, seemingly on top of the world. Though we're likely to struggle in great frustration to understand the circumstances of how Taylor left so soon, how dare we not put forth an honest if sometimes uncomfortable effort to examine his life in some greater context than football.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702680.html

My family STILL talks about Len Bias.

Got a full sized autographed UMD poster of him, passed down to me. Joint is like gold to the family.

^Ditto.

Wilbon doesn't lack guts. That's not his problem. It might be tact, or skills w/timing. He tends to be a bit- well totally brash and there's a timeand place for everything and what he was saying about this situation just wasn't appropriate in it's timing. HOWEVER, this article is almost inspiring,it's so well put I could FEEL the words. Great read Wilbon! Really great read.

DoubleJs07
You should put this article in the sports and training thread if it isn't already there. This issue is bigger than the DC area

That's terrible. The Young & the Shameless are getting out of hand. The guy is finally writing a new chapter in his life and someone comes in to closethe bindings in his life's story.
smh.gif

Great articles like these are why I LOVE the Post and Wilbon. Courtland Milloy had a good article today as well.

I don't think the time was appropriate for this. My Sister sent me some E-petition for getting Shapiro and Wilbon fired over the article.

^when is the time "right" for things like this? its never the "right time" to say something when people are alive, and its not the"right time" when they die. it is the perfect time right now to put stuff like this out. I'm glad something like this is out when the "timeis right" this will have blown over with most people and nobody will care. fire Wilbon...ha ha yea right.

As an African American in the United States of America, you can never be KKK -- mindset, idealogy, and goal of actions alone.

Maybe comparable by actions (maybe) but historically, that term Whilock has "created" I have serious issues with...

But, that's a topic not needed for here.

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

^when is the time "right" for things like this? its never the "right time" to say something when people are alive, and its not the "right time" when they die. it is the perfect time right now to put stuff like this out. I'm glad something like this is out when the "time is right" this will have blown over with most people and nobody will care. fire Wilbon...ha ha yea right.
I dont think wilbon should be fired at all, but the "right time" would have been at LEAST when the man was in his grave. It's unecessarycallous to drag someone's name through the mud like that right after their death. I was always raised to respect the dead. But I guess when you knowbetter, you do better. We're not stupid, most people understand that this isn't random. We don't need someone w/a neon sign wrapped in fire topoint out the situation. We SEE IT. But let the public deal w/this loss first. He jumped the gun, and he knew it, that's why he came out w/this articleto explain why he said what he said. if he wasn't getting some backlash, he wouldn't have written this thing. (I still like it btw)

I'm surprised that I am even posting an article by Jason Whitlock; but I think it's my experienceswith different mentalities and varied races and socioeconomic groups that allow me to view things form varied perspectives. Don't get me wrong … I really feel like his words are incendiary at times and that they can lead to some harsh criticism of our people (people ofcolor) and some blatant realities that we don't want to embrace. But I have found this article poignant enough to share ...

Taylor's death a grim reminder for us all
by Jason Whitlock

There's a reason I call them the Black KKK. The pain, the fear and the destruction are all the same.

Someone who loved Sean Taylor is crying right now. The life they knew has been destroyed, an 18-month-old baby lost her father, and, if you're a black man living in America, you've been reminded once again that your life is in constant jeopardy of violent death.

The Black KKK claimed another victim, a high-profile professional football player with a checkered past this time.

No, we don't know for certain the circumstances surrounding Taylor's death. I could very well be proven wrong for engaging in this sort of aggressive speculation. But it's no different than if you saw a fat man fall to the ground clutching his chest. You'd assume a heart attack, and you'd know, no matter the cause, the man needed to lose weight.

Well, when shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement, there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger. That's not some negative, unfair stereotype. It's a reality we've been living with, tolerating and rationalizing for far too long.

When the traditional, white KKK lynched, terrorized and intimidated black folks at a slower rate than its modern-day dark-skinned replacement, at least we had the good sense to be outraged and in no mood to contemplate rationalizations or be fooled by distractions.

Our new millennium strategy is to pray the Black KKK goes away or ignores us. How's that working?

About as well as the attempt to shift attention away from this uniquely African-American crisis by focusing on an "injustice" the white media allegedly perpetrated against Sean Taylor.

Within hours of his death, there was a story circulating that members of the black press were complaining that news outlets were disrespecting Taylor's victimhood by reporting on his troubled past

No disrespect to Taylor, but he controlled the way he would be remembered by the way he lived. His immature, undisciplined behavior with his employer, his run-ins with law enforcement, which included allegedly threatening a man with a loaded gun, and the fact a vehicle he owned was once sprayed with bullets are all pertinent details when you've been murdered.

Marcellus Wiley, a former NFL player, made the radio circuit Wednesday, singing the tune that athletes are targets. That was his explanation for the murders of Taylor and Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams and the armed robberies of NBA players Antoine Walker and Eddy Curry.

Really?

Let's cut through the bull(manure) and deal with reality. Black men are targets of black men. Period. Go check the coroner's office and talk with a police detective. These bullets aren't checking W-2s.

Rather than whine about white folks' insensitivity or reserve a special place of sorrow for rich athletes, we'd be better served mustering the kind of outrage and courage it took in the 1950s and 1960s to stop the white KKK from hanging black men from trees.

But we don't want to deal with ourselves. We take great joy in prescribing medicine to cure the hate in other people's hearts. Meanwhile, our self-hatred, on full display for the world to see, remains untreated, undiagnosed and unrepentant.

Our self-hatred has been set to music and reinforced by a pervasive culture that promotes a crab-in-barrel mentality.

You're damn straight I blame hip hop for playing a role in the genocide of American black men. When your leading causes of death and dysfunction are murder, ignorance and incarceration, there's no reason to give a free pass to a culture that celebrates murder, ignorance and incarceration.

Of course there are other catalysts, but until we recapture the minds of black youth, convince them that it's not OK to "super man dat ho" and end any and every dispute by "cocking on your !*!$%," nothing will change.

Does a Soulja Boy want an education?

HBO did a fascinating documentary on Little Rock Central High School, the Arkansas school that required the National Guard so that nine black kids could attend in the 1950s. Fifty years later, the school is one of the nation's best in terms of funding and educational opportunities. It's 60 percent black and located in a poor black community.

Watch the documentary and ask yourself why nine poor kids in the '50s risked their lives to get a good education and a thousand poor black kids today ignore the opportunity that is served to them on a platter.

Blame drugs, blame Ronald Reagan, blame George Bush, blame it on the rain or whatever. There's only one group of people who can change the rotten, anti-education, pro-violence culture our kids have adopted. We have to do it.

According to reports, Sean Taylor had difficulty breaking free from the unsavory characters he associated with during his youth.

The "keepin' it real" mantra of hip hop is in direct defiance to evolution. There's always someone ready to tell you you're selling out if you move away from the immature and dangerous activities you used to do, you're selling out if you speak proper English, embrace education, dress like a grown man, do anything mainstream.

The Black KKK is enforcing the same crippling standards as its parent organization. It wants to keep black men in their place - uneducated, outside the mainstream and six feet deep.

In all likelihood, the Black Klan and its mentality buried Sean Taylor, and any black man or boy reading this could be next.

I get what Jason Whitlock is trying to say but…. The Black KKK! Is he serious? The problem I have with people likehim is that they leave half the equation out of the problem. Black people do need to take more personal responsibility, out of wedlock births, drugs, crime,lack of education, lack of home ownership, all of that. But you can't ignore the fact that "the system" is still messed up in so manyways. You have to change both, not just one.

And then to blame Hip Hop, WTF. Hip Hop is a reflection of what's going on in our community. Change that and you will eventually see a change in what israpped about.

I have no problem with the Wilbon article. I think what he said was on point

I'm not mad about the whitlock article, a good amount is true, but like black tulip said, his monomania is almost humorous. The solution isn'tone-sided. So extremists need to stop treating it as such. It's the system that's been set, and our lack of resolve to challenge it. Personally, Iblame the crack movement, but that's just me.

I'm not sensitive to terms like the "black kkk" either. That's trivial. It's the mindset behind it that can get to me. He's trying toruffle feathers and at the very least he succeeded in that.

This is my thing, then I'll stop preaching.

We (Blacks, African-Americans, Afro-Amer... whatever term you find politically correct in today's times) were shipped here on boats.

This country JUST started acting right as far as "equality" for what, maybe 35 years. If you from down South, deduct 10 years to that, and the Jena 6still proves what really goes down.

We have been disadvantaged from the very jump. Now, all of a sudden a switch is supposed to go off?

Ok.

These "elite" folks who had certain advantages, guidence, etc. will never fully understand.

I've been fortunate enough to live (still today) in both worlds, and its hard to be harsh on ONE side because of how things seem visually.

I think Phonte' (Little Brother) summed it up best on "Dreams" on the Get Back album where most "average to above average" successfulBlack males stand mentally. Check it out.

Sorry for the rant.

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

This is my thing, then I'll stop preaching.

We (Blacks, African-Americans, Afro-Amer... whatever term you find politically correct in today's times) were shipped here on boats.

This country JUST started acting right as far as "equality" for what, maybe 35 years. If you from down South, deduct 10 years to that, and the Jena 6 still proves what really goes down.

We have been disadvantaged from the very jump. Now, all of a sudden a switch is supposed to go off?

Ok.

These "elite" folks who had certain advantages, guidence, etc. will never fully understand.

I've been fortunate enough to live (still today) in both worlds, and its hard to be harsh on ONE side because of how things seem visually.

I think Phonte' (Little Brother) summed it up best on "Dreams" on the Get Back album where most "average to above average" successful Black males stand mentally. Check it out.

Sorry for the rant.
Um, I understand what you're saying. And you're not wrong about the civ rights movement being basically yesterday. But some people still hadeverything going against them and they made it. For example, my mother grew up in the middle of the woods (didn't even have electricity, phones, indoorplumbing, etc), lost her father and integrated her highschool when she was 16, and her brother was murdered when she was 17. Most of her siblings got knockedup or got someone knocked up so that they were all taking care of kids and too busy to further their educations. She, the youngest, still managed to move upto DC, make a career for herself, raise me BY herself, buy a house BY herself, and still have enough money to send me to a 10g a yr highschool. (nevermind whatshe paid for preschool, elementary, and college). My point? Yea we have a lot stacked against us, but sometimes all we do is rely on our excuses to make itok to be in the state we're in. WE CAN DO BETTER. That is all people like Cosby, Whitlock and myself are trying to express. I KNOW I fall short manytimes. Do I make excuses? Sometimes. Am I changing? You better believe it! I can't be the spawn of something that great and never make anything ofmyself. Her work won't have been in vain, and neither should the efforts of our ancestors. Man up and try harder.

Whitlock hit the nail on the head. At some point people have to take responsiblity for whats happening. At some point we must stop blaming the white man andslavery. I am in no means denying the effect that it had on people. But we realize that it acutally had an effect...so that in itself means we know what ishappening. I do not believe that Whitlock or Wilbon "dragged" Taylor's name through the mud. They kept it real, lets be honest here. We have achild with no father, a mother with no son, and sisters and brothers without a sibling. Respect for his death is realizing that we are not perfect, andspreading the word that your lifestyle and decisions you make in life will possibly affect you forever.

Right on point…except no one has yet said that the suspects are Black. Until they do, how can you blame Whitlock's Black KKK?

Assuming that they are Black, that's one thing.Writing an article again condemning the entire race is more of Whitlock's self-hating,****ish sambo-istics. The Spook who can't get in the Door, showing once again he is a victim of nigor mortis, frozen until there is a chance to bring downhis own people, doing massah's work with one hand on the keyboard and the other on a fried turkey leg.

Right on point…except no one has yet said that the suspects are Black. Until they do, how can you blame Whitlock's Black KKK?

Assuming that they are Black, that's one thing.Writing an article again condemning the entire race is more of Whitlock's self-hating, ****ish sambo-istics. The Spook who can't get in the Door, showing once again he is a victim of nigor mortis, frozen until there is a chance to bring down his own people, doing massah's work with one hand on the keyboard and the other on a fried turkey leg.

We don't know if the "Black KKK" did this to Taylor. But the fact of the matter is, i think Whitlock took this opporotunity to do bring up a valid point. We must begin to take responbility for what happens in our community at some point.I usually dont even like Whitlocks views, however there is some truth in his argument. If you dont think hip hop plays a role in the mentality of kids today youre blind.

my agreeing with whitlock was for sarcasm sake ONLY!

i dont dispute responsibility, but realize ones tone, and audience and tailor you message accordingly. his message is irresponsible at best, and inflammatory,self hatred rhetoric at worst. no one has been named a suspect, and to project his own hatred of blacks into this message of a young brothers life taken fromhim, is lazy journalism.

To The Points Made In The Article.....
who hears this mans message of the black KKK? middle and upper class blacks and liberal whites. the black KKK don't go to NAACP meetings. so what is hedoing?

most of the poeople i know, are familiar with the disenfranchised lower class. they grew-up not to far from them. this self-hatred in our community didn'tstart with hip-hop, and it's pathetic for people like whitlock, and cosby to overlook the shortcomings of their generation. the downward spiral of thesense of community didn't begin with gangsta rap. putting the burden of fixing this on a generation without sufficient role models is lame as well...

even his use of the term black KKK is sick, misinformed, mis nomer, and lazy.... he sensationalize the ills in our community for a spot in an article....(heshould be lynched)

The term "Black KKK" is simply ignorance to me.

As stated, no suspect was named. People are quick to point the finger...we all do it and often look like fools at the end of the day.

When The Beltway Sniper was runnin' loose noone expected him/them to be "brown-faced"...we were all lookling for a crazy white man.

Has anyone considered that his girl is of other race and maybe somebody just didn't like that? How's that for KKK?

Originally Posted by whyblaque

my agreeing with whitlock was for sarcasm sake ONLY!

i dont dispute responsibility, but realize ones tone, and audience and tailor you message accordingly. his message is irresponsible at best, and inflammatory, self hatred rhetoric at worst. no one has been named a suspect, and to project his own hatred of blacks into this message of a young brothers life taken from him, is lazy journalism.

To The Points Made In The Article.....
who hears this mans message of the black KKK? middle and upper class blacks and liberal whites. the black KKK don't go to NAACP meetings. so what is he doing?

most of the poeople i know, are familiar with the disenfranchised lower class. they grew-up not to far from them. this self-hatred in our community didn't start with hip-hop, and it's pathetic for people like whitlock, and cosby to overlook the shortcomings of their generation. the downward spiral of the sense of community didn't begin with gangsta rap. putting the burden of fixing this on a generation without sufficient role models is lame as well...

even his use of the term black KKK is sick, misinformed, mis nomer, and lazy.... he sensationalize the ills in our community for a spot in an article....(he should be lynched)
Excellent written thoughts/points my dude...

The fact of the matter is that Sean Taylor is dead.

He was a black man/father/brother/son killed by another black man.

And the problem is happening WAY too much.

There is not a day that goes by when I don't venture into Baltimore City and worry if I'm going to make it backhome to see my wife. Why? Its not because I'm going through the white part of town, but because I'm going through North Ave. and Greenmount, or I'mgoing to drop off HarmcityHustler and drive my rusty*$%* Saturn through Fayette St. Working in the city, I've never had a white customer tell me that theywere going to shoot or stab me, or wait for me to walk outside of my place of business like black people have.

I have no problem with Whitlock's article, simply because it is truth. Look at the statistics, black on black crimehas been an issue since as long as I've been alive, and damn sure as long as most of you older heads have been breathing.

I love my people, and you all know that. But these people have no value over human life, if they go to jail thats morerespect for them, they KNOW that they are going to die early, so like Katt Williams said, "how are you gonna scare someone that WANTS to die?" @++%is out of control.

And for those to say, "Well Hip Hop has nothing to do with it", be realistic. You are a grown man, you'vebeen raised a certain way because our parents had respect growing up themselves, but this generation of 20 and under seems like they were raised off of themusic. Everyone wants to be famous, no one wants to work for it. Its all about "Gettin' Money". Hell I could "Get Money" too, butI'd rather do it the right way, and dammit if it takes me til I'm 40 to be "Gettin Money" then thats what I'll have to do, but at leastI'll be able to say I made it to see 40.

I don't know jo, its a bad moon rising, for all you that have kids or are having kids, raise them young'nsright, and if you have kids in your neighborhood, teach them something, because somebody has to.

RIP Sean Taylor.

My-T.

Another article by Uncle Rukus aka Jason Whitlock. He blame everything in the world on hip hop. The clan was killing blacks solely because they are black.Black on black crime isn't about race, its about money, drugs, gangs, females, disrespect etc. He just using hip hop to get his name out there, and peopleare falling for it too.

Back
Top Bottom