Easier to get into UW now for Comm College students

I already applied for transfer from BCC to UW for the fall, so this is great news! :pimp:
pimp.gif
:pimp:
pimp.gif
UW transfers: a thorny issueBut as the number of community-college applicants has declined from 7,300 three years ago to 5,500 last school yearThree years ago, only half of community-college transfer applicants were accepted this year it's likely to be three-quarters. That has raised concerns about the quality of the transfers, especially at the highly competitive Seattle campus.

"It's a great time to apply to UW Seattle if you're a student applying from a community college," noted Philip Ballinger, the UW's director of admissions.ed out as freshmen at the UW. They also add diversity and value to the UW.

"Transfer students deserve to be admitted to the UW under our agreement, and we're confident the UW will fulfill its commitment."

Earl points to data that show high-school graduation rates will reach record levels over the next few years and says it's important to figure out whether the application drop represents a data fluctuation or long-term trend before overreacting. The State Board is also concerned students may not get to choose from a full range of majors at the branch campuses.

Student awaits word

At Seattle Central Community College, engineering student Jason Clemens, 27, said he applied last month to transfer to the UW but hasn't yet found out whether he's been accepted.

"My understanding is that it's pretty easy to get in because of the direct-transfer agreement," Clemens said. "But I could potentially get into the UW but not into the engineering school ... It's very rigorous."

Clemens said he decided to go back to school after getting laid off from his building-maintenance job in Colorado. He said he never could have gotten into the UW as a freshman.

"I didn't do well in high school, so I wanted to get my study skills up," he said. "Here, I could ease into it."

At WSU, community-college applications dropped from about 3,400 two years ago to 3,150 this year. And at Western, fall applications fell from about 2,400 two years ago to 2,150 this school year.

Review sought

Karen Copetas, Western's director of admissions, said she, too, wants to review quotas in light of falling applications but favors a broader approach.

"As part of a statewide system of public universities, we believe it is imperative to review the system of proportionality on a statewide level rather than for individual institutions to act independently," she wrote in an e-mail.

At the UW, both Emmert and Provost Phyllis Wise say they will analyze this year's transfer data carefully before formulating any plan for change.

"I want everybody to know that we are not in any fashion interested in backing away from our commitment to community-college students," Emmert said.

2003612053.gif

Quote:
The drop in community-college applicants represents a turnaround from four years ago, when the UW stopped guaranteeing admission for top community-college students because of concerns about overenrollment. The stricter transfer requirements implemented at the time partially explain the drop in applicants since.

This is pretty much all they needed to put in the article. They kept so many transfers out over the past few years it was bound to create space. Consider the number of freshman who will leave UW after one or two years (it's just natural that it will happen, it happens at every school) and when they don't allow transfers to fill the spots, it creates a void.

I applied as a transfer from SSCC for the fall too..still no word yet.

Thanks for the artical and best of luck geting in.
Team
Air Max Family X Pacific Northwest
Seattle,Washington​

Quote:
I applied as a transfer from SSCC for the fall too..still no word yet.

Thanks for the artical and best of luck geting in.

Thank you, same.

I don't think we are suppose to find out until "June".....
Hopefully its sooner then that! I could see them waiting until like April after reviewing all of the people's winter quarter transcripts to go along with the application but June seems like a long time.

Then again I know that there are freshman applicants that haven't even heard back yet & the community college students come after the freshman students as far as what they get done first.

^
ill be looking out for you also, haha. if you see a dude wearing grape 95's tomorrow, thats me :b
tongue.gif
Team
Air Max Family and Pacific Northwest​

haha alright.

I see some NT people up by the L building, 2nd level by the bridge, before 10:30 class, etc.

I always see a couple people who work at South Center Champs at BCC too.
TEAMYANKEES

Quote:
I see some NT people up by the L building, 2nd level by the bridge, before 10:30 class, etc.
s. BTW, im in the library posting this, lol
Hella Filthy!
Team
Air Max Family and Pacific Northwest​

^ I am...I cant wait!
I'm getting my season tickets for football today.

Go Huskies!!!
Team
Seattle,Washington​

Im going to BCC this fall. Hoping to transfer into UW. BCC NTers look for me
Team Pacific Northwest​

Quote:
I'm getting my season tickets for football today.

Damn I miss those days. What are the prices? It used to be $50 for the entire season back when I was there. ...and I hope you don't get seats by the band!

^ $112 ($122 total) for the full season dawg pack....We have some good teams/games coming to town BSU, OSU, USC, OU, WSU, etc I cant @#%$ wait!!!!

We have a crazy road ahead of us, but if we play well the first few games who knows what could happen this year.
Quote:
what were your gpa's?

3.64 at SSCC
Team
Seattle,Washington​

T-Bone, what school are you applying to? area of study?

and congrats man!

i need to bring that GPA up... only at a 3.2.. fdjsahfdskaj

and congrats to Trunks too!
aim- watch0utitskevin
email- kevinhan206@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom