eBay - local pickups. Has anyone done this?

Has anyone done this? If so what precautions do you take?

The auction I'm watching would require me to Paypal the payment and then meet. Would sending him an e-mail saying "agree to this time/location or refund" be enough to protect me through eBay/Paypal or is it a bad idea? (Does eBay buyer protection extend to local pickups is what im asking)

Sorry if common sense is escaping me.

bring a hammer.

but on the real, if they're going thru the process of using ebay, they are more likely legit. No one wants to risk their info getting out in case they rob you or something.

Yeah it's essentially a meetup, but I've never done it before. So I want to make sure I understand how to protect myself money-wise.

Basically I'm asking just in case the guy doesn't show. Would it be easy to get my money back or is that something hard to prove?

i did it a yr or so ago for a set of speakers but i didnt pay through PP..... met up with dude paid him & dipped

Good for the buyer, bad for the seller.

You could pick up the item and then do a charge back and you would win automatically.

As a seller i dont do local pick up because my shipping price includes actual shipping cost + paypal and ebay fees. Also its a pain to arrange a meet up time

As a buyer, ive done it a few times

Naw that's what worries me - paying the money out and THEN going. I'm just wondering if Paypal/eBay protection still applies to this.

I did one a few years ago as a seller. Met up with dude and he paid with cash. No headaches whatsoever. Just ask him if you can do that.

Yeah I've done it. Just arrange a day/time to meet and pay cash. No need to pay by paypal in advance.

I've never sold anything on ebay, but if I did I would cut someone a deal if they were down with a face to face transaction.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ "bring a hammer"

Go meet at a public place where there are a ton of cameras and of course try to bring someone with you as a witness just in case.

I've done it once. Met dude in a public place and paid him then and there for a pair of jordan xix's. Paying in advance is stupid imo. 
Also, ebay states that any business done off of ebay (i.e. meetups) is none of their business, so you probably wont be protected by them or paypal. 

I did one once 6 years ago for some sneakers. I ended up meeting him in front of a best buy and paid cash. I had to get a ride from my dad because I was only 15 at the time.
laugh.gif
The guy said he was a NTer too.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

Naw that's what worries me - paying the money out and THEN going. I'm just wondering if Paypal/eBay protection still applies to this.

Why wouldn't paypal protect you?
The person who has zero protection is the seller, because he is breaking Paypal rules.

You go and if u get your product great, if not then just file a claim with paypal

if possible just pay in cash, meet somewhere with people around (ex.plaza or mall) bring a weapon in case

Back
Top Bottom