Elite DC is going to be called Palace 5ive

I just got their e-mail with that racist picture... Wonder if they knew that they were being racist using that picture.

It was a picture of 3 passed out bums rockin Nikes and the email said something to the effect of that there were people camping out already for the store opening. I can't imagine it being considered "racist" except to those drinking the PC kool-aid who have no sense of humor.
GET SOME FRESH AIR!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

say please first :b
tongue.gif
GET SOME FRESH AIR!

I dont know meyn... I dont mean to sound like a lil B but I was a bit offended and im not even black (or a bum)

For some reason I see the pic and I can imagine them saying before they sent the email "Should I do it, Should I do it... this is going to be great... thats how these lil uckers be outside of our store" Like maybe thats their preception of some of yall while yall giving them yall hard earn money.

Maybe I thought into it too hard - but I dont think I did since I thought all this as soon as I seen the pics.

I have a sense of humor... but its something about it...

I thought the pic was a tad offensive too. Not racist...but offensive. It's not really cool to poke fun or expose the "bums" that MAY in fact be homeless...on drugs...or out of work.

eliteboardshop_hood2.jpg
TEAMI DON'T NEED ONENiketalk's One Man Graphics Shop.www.omaaro.com

Interesting.

Getting your money is what counts, not being socially responsible.

I doubt this will hurt any sales. Beast will be beast.

The customer service treatment at FlightClub and Supreme--and kids just sit there and take it--is one of many examples...

The DREAM TEAM -- "We RESPECT reality... We don't live internet lives..."
'TeePeso,' 'Ryan8478,' 'DCShoeDon,' 'JaywhYeNeX,' 'Importking,' 'DCshoechick,' 'ScottScotch,' 'rudolph1996'​

^I don't recall Flight Club or Supreme doin anything that would be considered "culturally insensitive." Even though I'm originally from NY, I know that DC has suffered the image from being "Murder Capitol" and a place where you see mad bums. Conservatives and closet racist folks have always used that image as an example of inner city gone wrong.

In the last 12 years that I lived in the city, I've seen so many neighborhoods get gentrified, and "well meaning" transplants that come in with their closet racist mindset and try to transform my adopted hometown. These folks make fun of the homeless, and displaced Black folks, and complain about Black church parishoners double-parking in "their" neighborhoods on Sundays. Where was Elite or anyone else when 14th & U or Logan Circle was considered dangerous to melanin deficient folks?

Make fun of the hood you come into, and see what the hood can do to you. No amount of alarms or bars on the window can protect you when you are still right around the cut.

"Chad Woods,"

You have spoken nothing but the truth. Excellent read.

You going into some serious issues that all from/in D.C. can relate to, from the gentrification to other aspects.

But, just like the Cwealth t-shirt of MLK (just another example), these stores rarely even think as deep as you posted. It's just "cool" to do.

Which again, is irresponsible IMO, but who cares about responsibility?

Its all about $, power, respect. By any means necessary

Reason I'm chilling........................

'TeePeso,' 'Ryan8478,' 'DCShoeDon,' 'JaywhYeNeX,' 'Importking,' 'DCshoechick,' 'ScottScotch,' 'rudolph1996'​

You gotta look at the bigger overall picture. Murder rate or crime didn't decrease. It shifted over to P.G.

"JordanFiend85,"

I don't think he can make his point any clearer, from recent history alone.

A Ruby Tuesdays just a few blocks from 14th and Columbia? 14th and Clifton ain't even a "hood" for real anymore? There is a spot I CAN'T even afford near 14th and Florida now? If THAT ain't mind openers, historicially alone in Uptown, smfh!

Either way, if you were in a seminar, with just that picture posted, and ask a diverse round table what it meant... I think the answers would justify that picture being in bad taste for Palace5ive.

But again, like a "store" is suppose to care.......

A hypebeast would think its cool and funny, thus, mission accomplished.

Damn Chad you woke up speaking the TRUTH this morning! I thought I was the only one that sees this @#%$. Keep it coming

i think lavan summed it up.

coming from an owner outside of the culture depicted, that was jie low.

if it was staged? even lower.

hell. we know bums will do anything for a buck, but to expose them via email to your customers in "light" of an opening was beyond disbelief.

no need to expand.

good luck to them.

union square is a good piece of property...

busboys & poets was the first to make its way uptown (north of U street) and they are beyond successful.

...I was leavin' my boys house yesterday (who lives on the southside) and they are building LUXURY TOWNHOUSE that start at the HIGH 300s at an intersect near Stanton Road.

Like Kev said...murder rate hasn't decreased...it just shifted.

But what happens is this...

If you force people out of their hoods and cram them into low-rent areas where most of them have little or nothing to claim as "theirs"...what do you expect.

There are some LUXURY CONDOS across the street from McKinley tech on R Street that cost $575k...

I won't even go back to the MLK C'MON shirt...Kev describe it pretty well.

JordanFiend85, this is America...everywhere you go has some danger.

Last year...one of my friends was shot in the head...in his room...in his basement. So, technically...you don't even have to LEAVE the house these days.
TEAM I DON'T NEED ONENiketalk's One Man Graphics Shop.
www.omaaro.com

Quote:
Either way, if you were in a seminar, with just that picture posted, and ask a diverse round table what it meant... I think the answers would justify that picture being in bad taste for Palace5ive.
GET SOME FRESH AIR!

hey on a lighter note....( I don't really like the pic either) but I would pay decent money for any of those pairs of shoes
Team49ers
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
LET NOLAN WEAR A SUIT!!!!!​
Friday Night Lights is the best show on TV​

Just a question: How many people on here really... genuinely... are concerned with homelesness?

Seems to me the problem with the pic centers around its use for commercial gain.

Quote:
Getting your money is what counts, not being socially responsible.
their mindset, but I certainly hope it's not yours. You're better than that.

This is just plain offensive however you want to slice it. They're making light of the homelessness situation in the district, which is just reprehensible in and of itself, and that's not even to mention the racial dimension - which cannot be discounted.

Long story short people, we as consumers have to be the ones to FORCE accountability AND social responsibility on the businesses that DEPEND on our patronage for support. If these types of shops have zero respect for the community - and clearly that shows through with horribly disrespectful stunts like this - then we have to step up and hold them accountable for it.

I, for one, won't support this particular shop and I believe an apology and a donation to a homeless shelter is in order here.

Just among us within this one tiny little corner of NikeTalk have the power to make a difference in this regard - and I do hope that the "vets" in this forum will take a leadership role.

Put your money where your mouth is. If it's wrong, it's wrong.
To say "yeah, it's wrong but....." is selling out - and for cheap. You know guys on NT like Dirtylicious and others helped force an apology from Adidas with the whole "Ray Fong" thing. I don't see why we here in the DC forum can't take a stand on this and produce some results.

Quote:
Spoken like your former colleagues at $.
SLAP! :lol:
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom