Elitism in universities/colleges based on....

majors? I don't know what to think about this. Honestly I am somewhat appalled at the notion of "my major being better than yours" or "yourmajor is $@%@%%#@". I never really noticed it until I read something today in which students from the architecture school were downplaying the work donestudents from our communication school because their majors are "easier". They are both great schools in their own right, #2 and #1 in the nationrespectively. I can't even find the words as to what I want to say of what causes this. What do you think about this if you have an opinion?

It's clear that some majors require a lot more work than others. Architecture is downright insane.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

It's clear that some majors require a lot more work than others. Architecture is downright insane.
That's understandable but everyone has their own niche. Who is that person to say that their major is BS if they have never taken a courserequired by the program?

Originally Posted by Lazy B

That's understandable but everyone has their own niche. Who is that person to say that their major is BS if they have never taken a course required by the program?

as much as you'd like to think people are adults at this age they aren't. just an evolution of a grade school mentality that you always have to findsomething wrong with someone else.

ya, im a business major, and i have so much less work than architecture majors and engineers i know, as well as a lot of science majors. True, some do havethat attitude, like "i work more than you so i should get more respect for my major." and in some ways, i think they are right. As long as they donttake it another level and think "im better than you cause of my major"

A major is only BS if the students taking it are only there for the easy grades, and do not hunger to submerge themselves in that field. I like to think ofthis in regards to people in Sports Management that do not bust their hump trying to get internships or network.

Originally Posted by dkjordan23

ya, im a business major, and i have so much less work than architecture majors and engineers i know, as well as a lot of science majors. True, some do have that attitude, like "i work more than you so i should get more respect for my major." and in some ways, i think they are right. As long as they dont take it another level and think "im better than you cause of my major"
Ahem:

Ok Newhouse.... you NEED to shut the $!@% up. Its funny that you guys still think you have a hard major. The School of Architecture has it THE worst. You don't work your +%% of everyday only to be ripped apart the next day and start it all over again. It's an internationally known understanding that majoring in Architecture is not easy.... and being the #1/#2 school in the country, it is even harder. I'm wondering where you Newhouse kids are getting your stats?

* Architecture kids are the smartest on campus (gpa wise--proven fact)
* Everyone knows we pull the most all nighters every week
* Our faculty could probably kick your faculties %%+%! with their Harvard, Colombia, Upenn, Cooper Union, and Yale degrees.
* Newhouse curriculum versus Architecture..... thats a joke right?

I've had a professor rip apart architecture kids during a lecture because of how much they brag about their curriculum being hard. The classjust laughed. He literally tore them a new one and said words that I've only heard used in casual conversation.

Forgot to add this:

So enjoy your *%%$@$+! degree..... while I get my architectural license.
tired.gif
smh.gif

I'm a Computer Science major and its definitely up there in the "hard majors" category. I don't really look down upon people whose majorsare easier because chances are, you still have to put in work regardless. One of my friends who was a english major had to write a bunch of 30+ page essaysevery semester and it takes a lot of thinking and effort to accomplish that. In the end, it's all about what you want to pursue in life and theconnections you make.

MAJOR ELITIST
No, he's not in the military! Ha ha! All blatantly bad jokes aside, the Major Elitist is generally some type of science or engineering major who looks down on anyone who might even think about getting a humanities or business degree. After all, we all know that the only thing that's important is science. All that other mamby-pansy $##%%+++ like "History" or "English" or "the world economy" is just a bunch of feel-good rhetorical nonsense anyway. Besides, any *%%%+%! can get a liberal arts degree!
laugh.gif

http://www.askstudent.com...ou-will-meet-in-college/

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

Originally Posted by Lazy B

That's understandable but everyone has their own niche. Who is that person to say that their major is BS if they have never taken a course required by the program?

as much as you'd like to think people are adults at this age they aren't. just an evolution of a grade school mentality that you always have to find something wrong with someone else.
Exactly, maturity just determines the extent to which people can keep their more outlandish sentiments from being exposed to the public. Not gonnalie, going into school, I thought psychology majors were total BS (I was an engineer). After my first 2 quarters as an engineer, psychology looked prettyenticing
tongue.gif
. I just learn to do my own thing now.

One thing that still irks me about elitism between majors are people who have the nerve to ask me "What are you gonna do with that?" (ingenuinely) asif your "Oh..." after I stated it to you wasn't a big enough hint towards your condescendence.

Every major is hard in its own right, but again, there's no doubt that some majors are harder than others. Rivalries between programs within a school arevery common and snobbish attitudes are expected.

But i'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh or roll my eyes inside when my college friends would whine about their Psych papers.

Harder is very subjective. For people that are business majors, that don't involve themselves in business skills development opportunities (such as studentcouncil, internships, improv speech classes, etc) they are not really submerging themselves into what their major is all about. Engineers/CS majors seem to bestudents that generally like staying at home, working long hours on code/wtv it is, and don't extend themselves into university life to the same extent. Ithink both routes are very different, and are suited for different personality types. Take an engineering major and have them be the vice president for thestudent council. I think they would have just as difficult time with that as a communication major would taking a CS class. Obviously this doesn't apply toeveryone, but school is not just about the classes you take. It is about the connections/and experiences you make. A lot of people take for granted the otherHUGE opportunities you have in college and these are the ones that end up with a degree and no idea what to do.

I know a lot of communication majors that enjoyed college a lot more, and have good jobs now so it just is a case by case basis. Granted...i agree though thatsome majors are significantly more academically challenging. If your end goal out of college is to have a good job...there are multiple ways to get there...notjust by taking hard classes/hard majors.

^Haha. Yeah, I'm still in a B.S. major, and though not engineering, it's still considerably harder than psych (I'm in EnvironmentalScience/Management). Not going to lie though, when it comes down to people you wanna have fun with, those psych majors come through...especially with theabsurd amount of fine girls in psych compared to all other majors.

Sundizzle: That was on point. The way you described the CS majors was so on point though I was
eek.gif
. One of my roommates last year was one, and he rarely spoke to us and neverbrought anybody over (literally).

dont really have that goin on, on my campus(missouri state)

everyone is cool. i mean, im a criminology/sociology major and i live with a emerging technology management major. only about 6 other ppl on campus havecompleted this degree its so hard. but he already has a intern lined up working with a company in china making LED lights.

ur gonna have ur down to earth ppl and your aholes.

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but school is not just about the classes you take. It is about the connections/and experiences you make. A lot of people take for granted the other HUGE opportunities you have in college and these are the ones that end up with a degree and no idea what to do.

Listen to this man, don't matter what major you are. Networking is the most important thing in college. Unless you come from a top name school, jobsaren't going to be handed to you on a silver platter.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

^Haha. Yeah, I'm still in a B.S. major, and though not engineering, it's still considerably harder than psych (I'm in Environmental Science/Management). Not going to lie though, when it comes down to people you wanna have fun with, those psych majors come through...especially with the absurd amount of fine girls in psych compared to all other majors.

Sundizzle: That was on point. The way you described the CS majors was so on point though I was
eek.gif
. One of my roommates last year was one, and he rarely spoke to us and never brought anybody over (literally).
laugh.gif
You are not lying about the fine women in psych. Howeverthey do change their major by the second year. Believe it or not, psych is not as easy as people would think.

I have been guilty of some major elitism before, but I try to keep it in check. It happens on all levels. I hear engineers arguing about which engineeringdiscipline is the hardest. Industrial technology and Industrial Manufacturing Engineering always get mentioned as "fake" engineering disciplinesbecause they are so blended with business classes. For some reason though, some of the professors in our school of business have taken to telling theirstudents that they will "be managing all those engineers one day". When I hear a business student repeat that, thats the only time I gotta speak upand tell them to #!@#. No need to get overly gassed up.

man i hate it. i'm in the business colelge and we're highly regarded. Some are like "wow you're a business major?!" especially when Imention finance, and others will be like "BRO, I GOT A PHYSICS 3 EXAM, A CALC 3 ASSIGNMENT, MY ORGO CHEM2 TEST ALL IN A 4 HOUR SPAN, YOU'RE IN A BSMAJOR"

....riiiight....

Engineering>Liberal Arts in terms of difficulty. I don't care what anyone says.

Biomechanical Engineering vs. History ? Give me a
11835125eeebb41679e89227b50d680c4843855.gif
break!

Sorry to sidetrack the thread...but I have question.
Would it make sense to have CS as a minor?
I'm interested in Communication (PR) but I want to have a math background.
ohwell.gif

I dunno.

Could have guessed OP was a Comm major...I clown on my roomate all the time but yeah as said classes are "harder" depending on who's taking itpause

I was an english/pre-med student and I'm not gonna lie, some of the coursework for english was downright insane. Still, I did electrical engineering/premedfor 2 years before I had to switch cause the EE coursework was waaaay more taxing and I knew I wasn't trying to do anything with it. It all worked out inthe end though.

Back
Top Bottom