Emoji's 🧐... I'm Not Sure What to Think of How They're Used Sometimes.

When something genuinely sad & somber is taking place, how & why do some ppl use emoji's to vindicate their statements? Is the value in what they just said valueless? Is the hurt they have towards that situation or person superficial? I've always read it as fake caring.

Hypothetical example of what I'm referring to to:
"I can't believe how Tyrone & Abigail got into that horrible accident. Abby is 6 months pregnant and doctors discussing having to amputate her leg from the knee down & Tyrone is in coma. It looks like the baby will fine. 😫😭😢"

I literally thought this: 😭 was the laughing emoji until like last year. It looks different on the iphone. Moreso like this.
1597032493117.png

🙏 thought this was praying hands but apparently its 2 people giving each other high five
My gf JUST text me that her cousin and his fiance got into an accident and have been hospitalized. I ended my text with the 🙏🏽🙏🏽 And now I wonder if she thought I was high fiving her

Yoooooo I also thought it was a praying emoji too :lol: . A hi five??? Good thing some people didn’t take it the wrong way.

When something genuinely sad & somber is taking place, how & why do some ppl use emoji's to vindicate their statements? Is the value in what they just said valueless? Is the hurt they have towards that situation or person superficial? I've always read it as fake caring.

Hypothetical example of what I'm referring to to:
"I can't believe how Tyrone & Abigail got into that horrible accident. Abby is 6 months pregnant and doctors discussing having to amputate her leg from the knee down & Tyrone is in coma. It looks like the baby will fine. 😫😭😢"

I literally thought this: 😭 was the laughing emoji until like last year. It looks different on the iphone. Moreso like this.
1597032493117.png

I think your issue is just with the cartoonish nature of emojis. On the surface I can see how their use could seem to conflict with certain feelings and moods.

But at the end of day, emojis as a language construct are no different than an exclamation point or superlative adverbs and adjectives. They don't take anything away from the underlying statement or sentiment, they do the opposite.

People express emotion differently. I can understand why you'd consider insensitive to include animated icons on a somber post, but some people may view it as a more outward expression. I don't take offense to it.
That praying hand has always been praying hands to me.

Back
Top Bottom