Engine flushes Yay or nay

Got a oil change today and they tired to sell this hard.  I have had my transmission oil flushed every 15k but never did a engine flush. 

Seems like Manufactures dont like it. 

found on ABC website

my car is from 2007, bought it brand new. The only thing I do is oil change, rotate tires and change wipers.

dealer never recommended that and I am on my 60k mark.

I've heard a lot of stories of people's cars being ruined by flushing the engine.

As I understand it if you have regular oil changes that is the best thing you can do.

A friend of mine changes his oil every 6 months religiously and his '82 VW Golf just cruised past 200k.

That was a good read, in my case I've never done an engine flush. I do my oil change every 3,000 miles and I'm good, my car runs smoothly ('05 Civic).

A funny story, when I was working at an auto parts store yrs ago a customer that was having engine trouble came in and said that an alley mechanic told him he needed a new engine and that he would charge him $800 for a new engine. Then the customer bought new spark plugs instead and put them in and his engine reared up like he was about to race an Indy 500.

I think we need an official car maint. thread. Like what about those 80 dollar air filters the service adviser recommends when you need an oil change? Rear differential service on an SUV? I normally only do a LOF-Rotate but still, I don't wanna do anything to jeopardize my warranty.

My ****** went out right after a ****** flush

aamco dude dude tole me to never get a ****** flush because alot ofbthe newer cars have paper parts in them

so when u flush your ******, they all get moved around and bent

don't know if this applies to engines but I'm guessing it's jus another way to charge you for that $$$$$

I remember my boy telling him he put in a new tran 3 times and spending $3000 cause it kept messing up, dumb move.

Also when I was working at an auto parts store a customer walked in all pissed off cause he accidentally filled his engine with transmission fluid instead, LOL.

I ALMOST got a Transmission Flush in my VW Passat, passed on it cause I always get Oil Changes religiously and I'm about to hit 130K pretty soon...

Who the hell is telling you to flush the system? If anything it should be drained and filled, no need to flush it. For you guys that have never done your transmission fluid for 60K+ miles, I'd recommend against doing it. Sometimes the way the material is settled in that ****** can cause the ****** to break after being in there for so long. Also putting auto ****** fluid in the motor is acceptable to flush it, but again I'm not a fan of flushing. I'm a Honda tech.

Just another way for them to milk u for money OP, after u pay for the flush and then after u pay to get it fixed. Never had a flush in any car I had and both ran fine as long as I changed my oil regularly, which I do. Only car that had problems was my '93 Sunbird when my uncle put a plug in crooked and gapped the hole.

Originally Posted by politicsasusual

I ALMOST got a Transmission Flush in my VW Passat, passed on it cause I always get Oil Changes religiously and I'm about to hit 130K pretty soon...
You serious? You do know a transmission flush has NOTHING to do with your oil changes right? 

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

Who the hell is telling you to flush the system? If anything it should be drained and filled, no need to flush it.  
NEVER flush.. always drain and refill. The drain & fill lets you clean filters that might have clutch material on it and gets alot of dirt out, flushing just swirls that crap all up in it. 
For engines you never really need to flush. The only thing I put in my whips on occasion is BG line of products, they sell a fuel system cleaner and a engine flush that your pour into your oil before you change it. This is what the dealer uses when they sell you a "fuel system maintenance" package. You can't buy it in most stores, so you'll have to go to ebay or something. 

m79y83.jpg

28wgdj9.jpg

hell no you dont need it

A friend of mine changes his oil every 6 months religiously and his '82 VW Golf just cruised past 200k.

Im guessing he doesnt drive much right?

I first heard the thing about transmission flushes ruining transmissions about three years ago. Now, I went to get the transmission checked out on my mom's car and the guy said they don't even do flushes because it almost always just screws stuff up. The AAMCO guy from three years ago said that if it's been too long, then you'll have all sorts of sediment and stuff in your transmission from the old burnt fluid. When you flush it, it just moves around and gets into things and messes it up... obviously, I'm far from a mechanic, but figured I'd share.

Back
Top Bottom