Epic REACT Modifications and Experiments

Discussion in 'Sneaker Art' started by Four by Six, Apr 20, 2018.

1. thebtcbtq

thebtcbtq

Nice work. I'm ready when you need a wear tester.

Four by Six likes this.
  2. Four by Six

Four by Six

I'm afraid I'm still working out the kinks. While these two pairs of plates came out beautiful looking, it turns out the curves sagged a little bit while the resin cured. I didn't think the little bit of difference would matter (they are springy after all), but I guess feet are really sensitive and it does matter. While wearing either pair feels great, the plate mismatching the strobel board curves is irritating and hurts after a while. The mismatch also makes the heel pop like the forefoot used to pop on first gen Epics.

Looks like I'm going to have to come up with a different process that avoids the sagging during cure time. Arrgggh! Just when I thought I was done.

thebtcbtq likes this.
  3. Four by Six

Four by Six

If first you don't succeed, try try again... Here is my latest attempt with a new stackup, shape, and resin curing process:

[​IMG]

I hope this works, as I'm all out of CF supplies now.

samplesize9 likes this.
  4. Four by Six

Four by Six

The Nike Rise REACT Flyknit

[​IMG]

LOL! Happy to see Nike copy my uncaged Epics! I'm somewhat concerned the leather heel strap might rub the achilles tendon, but probably not. And the tall upper flyknit might rub the ankles, so at least mid socks would be needed. Can't wait to get my hands on these (though in a different color way).

[​IMG]

My uncaged Epics are my favorite shoe by a long mile. Slip on quickly, super comfortable, light as a feather, cool and breathable, and believe it or not it has become my goto shoe for long runs. In theory it should be too loose and slip around and cause hot spots and blisters, yet in practice it stays in position. Actually, I noticed that I no longer had any foot fatigue after runs which I am guessing is because of the increased blood flow to/from and around my foot. Not sure why.

I've also learned these make an excellent bad weather shoe. The only thing thing that holds water is the open cell foam insole. A trick I learned is if you use a waterproof or GoreTex bootie, put the insole inside the bootie with your foot and sock and then put on the shoe. Your foot stays dry and warm, and then when you take the shoes off, they self dry very fast. No need for a Pegasus Shield.

[​IMG]

You can see in this pic they added reinforcement to the inside ball area of foot. I have noticed with my uncaged pair, the foot does want to squish out a bit and tries to overhang the midsole a little bit in that spot, but nothing too bad. You can also see they went with a smaller embroidered swoosh, which I assume will let the flyknit flex more than the huge heat glued on swooshes of the Epic. As far as I can tell the upper has no reinforcement panels at all, other than the aforementioned leather inserts, so the flyknit should be free to flex as needed. I hope all the leather is not irritating or too confining.

Now all I need is a Triple Black Colorway please!

thebtcbtq likes this.
  5. thebtcbtq

thebtcbtq

Wow, they really copied your idea. I would like to know how many ideas, designs, and colorways have been copied by Nike from Niketalk over the years. Maybe they do not car because there would not be Niketalk without Nike?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  6. Four by Six

Four by Six

I'm sure they get lots of "inspiration" from ideas on Niketalk. They overthought the Rise though, as I don't think it needed leather reinforcements or a full bootie upper. All they had to do is take the Epic and stop the manufacturing process before they cut the lace holes and glued on panels. It would be ridiculously cheap to make, just a one piece flyknit upper and REACT foam sole. Offer it at Pegasus prices in a lot of colorways and it would make crazy money for them. The comfort and convenience of a slipper with the performance of a running shoe. And when you add a carbon fiber insole, performance is in the same league as the 4%. Add a GoreTex bootie and it outperforms the Peg Shield. It would only work for lifestyle and running use though, as it does not have enough lockdown for anything that requires cutting side to side like basketball or soccer.

thebtcbtq likes this.
  7. Four by Six

Four by Six

TF XC guess at an Epic 2:

[​IMG]

Can't tell from pic what reinforcement panels are still on the inside, but I bet they keep them all and just lose the outer panels (just a guess). Otherwise the laces would rip through the flyknit. If this rendition turns out to be true, "uncaging" the Epic2 by removing the laces and reinforcement panels could be awesome. The current cut lace holes tend to fray once the panels are removed. The lace holes on the Epic2 appear to be not cut out, but woven into the upper.

8. Four by Six

Four by Six

Different preview of Epic2 from REACT thread here:

[​IMG]

Not liking the heavy embroidery on the large Nike swoosh as it will prevent the flyknit from stretching. Also not liking the smaller outer heel cup. My experiments proved the inner cup was insufficient for heel stability. Hard to tell but probably still has the inner reinforcements, especially the band between the forefoot and heel. Not liking the direction of this shoe, if this turns out to be the Epic2. I liked TF XC's guess at the Epic2 much better. I wouldn't even cop this version.