Eric Devendorf scores 49 points for the Waikato Pistons

[h1]Devendorf stars for Pistons [/h1][h2][/h2]
3408222.jpg

CHRIS HILLOCK/Waikato Times

RED HOT: Waikato Pistons star Eric Devendorf, left, tries to shake off the attention of Nelson Giants guard Mike Fitchett in Waikato's 92-73 win in Te Awamutu.

[h2]Relevant offers[/h2]

Believe the hype.

Waikato Pistons import Eric Devendorf lived up to his billing when he kickstarted the two-time defending National Basketball League champions to a 92-73 win over the Nelson Giants in Te Awamutu last night.

The Pistons point guard scored a whopping 49 points as the hosts made an early statement about their "three-peat" campaign against the team they beat 2-0 in last year's Grand Final series.

A former US college hoops star at Syracuse, Devendorf came with a big reputation and didn't disappoint after a slow start as both sides battled to shrug off opening night rust.

Devendorf warmed up in the low-scoring first half to reach 17 points, with eight of those coming from the free-throw line at a 100 per cent success rate.

The 22-year-old exploded in the second half, knocking down three-point shots at will over defenders and when they stood off him, Devendorf drove past them to the rim to score.

His final tally came from 17/26 field goal shooting, knocking down seven of 10 three-pointers as the hosts shrugged off the Giants in the third quarter to start their season on a high.

Devendorf's tally was a new individual record for the Waikato side, beating the 46 of Clifton Bush set in 2001 for the then Waikato Titans.

Among those watching from the stands last night was New Zealand Breakers coach Andrej Lemanis and, while his side already have a quality point guard in CJ Bruton and the league's best shooting guard in Kirk Penney, he must already be pondering if there's a way to make room for Devendorf too – before another Australian NBL side snaps him up.

The Pistons took some time imposing their will on the visitors, who missed the inside presence of Tall Blacks forward Mika Vukona – unavailable due to end-of-season off-court commitments with his Gold Coast Blaze team – but still had enough playmakers and doggedness to make it a contest until the third period.

Imported forward Michael Harrison shrugged off an ankle injury to be Nelson's topscorer with a classy 24 while veteran shooting guard Phill Jones added 17.

Pistons centre Alex Pledger hauled down 20 rebounds and added 11 points in a mixed performance from the raw 22-year-old.

It was a physical opening night – Nelson lost handy bench player Darryl Jones early to a knee injury, Pistons swingman Thomas Aber-crombie was felled by a stray Phill Jones elbow and Giants centre Tony Rampton hit the floor hard under a challenge from Pledger.

pimp.gif

good to see hes doing good. i remember reading his little journal on slam every month when he was in hs.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

DORF!!!!!!!!!!!!
pimp.gif

My favorite white basketball player ever!!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

wait he's white?
laugh.gif
i always thought he was just a extra light brotha
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by KingFoamNYC

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

DORF!!!!!!!!!!!!
pimp.gif

My favorite white basketball player ever!!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

wait he's white?
laugh.gif
i always thought he was just a extra light brotha
pimp.gif

Nah... He's Caucasian... with one of the best off hands and most charisma you've ever seen in the game...  The Bad Guy!!!!
pimp.gif

Dude leaving helped Syracuse turn into a 28-2 team...Still got much love for him at Carrier Dome
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom