Erin Patton Interview - Original Architect and Director of Product & Marketing, Jordan Brand

Discussion in 'Jordan Brand' started by brilliant, Jun 16, 2009.

1. brilliant

brilliant Administrator

Source: www.projectbluefoot.com

The Mastermind: Erin Patton Interview Part1

[​IMG]

Like the conductor of an orchestra, Erin Patton has been in charge of arranging the proper beat, dynamic, and tempo for numerous brands, mostnotably as Nike's lead architect in the creation of the Jordan Brand, in 1997, and directing the launch of Stephon Marbury's Starburybrand, in 2006. Patton currently serves as Adjunct Professor of Sports Marketing in the Cox School of Business at Southern Methodist University, is thePrincipal of his own brand management firm, and has written a just-released book, Under the Influence: Tracing the Hip-Hop Generation's Impact on Brands, Sports, & Pop Culture, detailing by first-handexperience the workings of the athletic footwear industry and the inner workings of a marketing mastermind.

--
    Project Bluefoot: Most people in the footwear world know you as the original brand architect for Jordan Brand. Can youtell us how you got into that position?

Erin Patton: I would love to say it was my own unique design but it was really a matter of being in theright place at the right time. And being prepared and qualified to begin to engineer a process that had evolved more than 10 years prior with the Air Jordanand what it represented within basketball and popular culture. And for me, having been one of those Alpha-early adopters that as a teen, growing up inPittsburgh in the inner city in the 80s, the mid-80s in particular, when I was in high school when the first Jordans were released, you know, it wasrevolutionary. And of course, as consumers at that point looking to identify with certain brands and certain products that would validate our status and giveus an opportunity to turn ourselves into a canvas and express ourselves through fashion.

The Air Jordan, you know, was the badge at that particular time. And so I came of age with the Air Jordan phenomenon, being influenced by it, and soas I continued in my journey coming from that place and coming from an urban environment where the Jordan product was held in an even higher regard, then,perhaps, in other places, when I came into Nike I brought with me an understanding of the product and how it was positioned and even its unique attributesrelative to it being a fashion-first, performance-second, you know, things that didn't necessarily register with Nike.

Clearly, Nike understood that Jordan gave a lot of creative license to do things from a styling standpoint and with the aesthetics of the shoe to push theenvelope a little bit. But I think I was able to help accelerate the pace at which we were able to take the insights and understanding from the consumer andtheir style and their preferences and their attributes and build that into product and also in the way we articulated the brand positioning.

So the fact that I came into Nike at a time where the company was looking to carve out a separate business for Michael, I brought with me the uniqueunderstanding of not just the urban market, but overall, had some ideas and some creativity and just kind of chompin at the bit to get my hands on that kind ofbrand and product and ran with it.

[​IMG]

2. babyjs23

babyjs23 Moderator Staff Member

Great history and Great find.

3. elpurepecha

elpurepecha

nice

4. airdrama23

airdrama23

Great Find

5. fxsandman

fxsandman

jus read da first paragraph and ma eye awready hurts
    ima comeback later to read
    maybe i can find dat book at a library

6. nick0lis

nick0lis

[​IMG]
    you're truly sad

[​IMG]

7. tz85

tz85

feel the same way

8. bdis1986

bdis1986

damn reading and spelling [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sosmoove

sosmoove

Nice find

10. vocaldigital23

vocaldigital23

Great find! Can't imagine how you were able to locate that, but thanks for sharing! lol

11. greatestgoliath

greatestgoliath

Great Read! Thanks for Posting.

12. mightymyt

mightymyt

13. rafool

rafool

Nice find Steez and thanks for posting.

Nice read.

14. rick2345

rick2345

great interview so far nice questions but i know he has alot of samples you should ask to see some cause i know this guy has samples we've never seenbefore and i weanna see em [​IMG]

15. nikeaircobraben

nikeaircobraben

kool

16. Methodical Management

Methodical Management Administrator Staff Member Co-Founder

Great interview, Steez. I can't wait to read the remaining installments.

This is precisely the sort of DEPTH and intelligence lacking from the endless stream of regurgitated marketing copy being pawned off as "journalism"these days by other sneaker "news" sites.

It's refreshing to read something that's not hollow PR hype for a change.

17. the j collector

the j collector

Thx for the insight ,, and I like how Patton is from the 412 ...................

18. brilliant

brilliant Administrator

[​IMG]

guys, i did the interview with patton myself and just posted it online today. maybe i should have thrown in the byline just to be safe. LOL

btw, it's coming in 5 parts, every day this week. i know some of you guys just got out of school this week, but you should be able to handle the length.the font is bigger and the margins are slimmer on the source site if that helps you

Co-sign. Much thanks to everyone checking the interview out so far and posting your feedback. More to come...

19. rick2345

rick2345

you atempt to snap any pics of exclusive samples ?[​IMG]

20. mecks

mecks

great read man! you need to make one post with it ALL once you get it done =]

21. badjustin

badjustin

cool story

22. DVMNXK

DVMNXK

I wonder how he feels about JB whoring itself out these days.

23. xilegacy

xilegacy

Great interview, can't wait to read the other parts.

24. instyleshoes

instyleshoes

Or say with badging issues, you'd have the Nike Swoosh on a Jordan shoe and if you took it off what wouldhappen? The discussions that took place internally in the company is kind of fascinating.

I can understand wanting to grow and in a sense separate the swoosh and the jumpman....but to be so literal is almost a sign of insecurity to me....and yes Ido mean the old sore-spot subject of switching out the "Nike Air" logos with the jumpman on the product. Is this really the reason? I always thoughtit had to do with royalty / profit divison internally @ JB / Nike....

Can't wait to read the rest of this.....

25. jordanpheen

jordanpheen

great read so far....I'll be checking back it for pt. 2
    thanks again