ESPN's Rob Parker ripping Atlanta sports fans...and you know what? I agree with him...

sillyputty

Banned
City of Atlanta doesn't deserve win

By Rob Parker
ESPNNewYork.com

It's not fair.And, we know, it really shouldn't matter.But Atlanta -- the city, not the team -- doesn't deserve a playoff victory over the New York Giants on Sunday.It has nothing to do with football. It's deeper than that.[table][tr][td][/td][td]
ny_g_braves_fans_b1_288.jpg
[/td][/tr][tr][td][font=verdana, arial, geneva]Fans in Atlanta haven't exactly been going out in huge numbers to see the Braves recently.[/font][/td][/tr][/table]Without question, Atlanta is the worst sports town in America.If the New York Yankees are the standard for excellence in baseball, Atlanta is the epitome of the bottom of the barrel when it comes to fan support.Hence, the Atlanta Falcons shouldn't be allowed to win and reward some of the worst fans in the country. They just don't get it. They are both missing in action and simply not passionate enough to appreciate their team winning in the NFL playoffs and moving on to the next round.Giants fans -- even with a fresh Super Bowl in their memories after the 2007 season -- are living and dying with their team. Football is a part of their lifestyle, it's who they are. On Sunday, every single moment of the game will be pure agony until the clock shows all zeroes and the Giants have secured the victory.Your typical Atlanta fan -- who is probably from another city since so few are actually from ATL -- will be preoccupied with something else. They might not even be sure what time the game is on.In fact, at some point, they might ask a friend -- filled with sweet tea -- at a pork-saturated barbeque, "Are the Falcons playing today?"
[h4]Atlanta avg. attendance: ESPN Stats & Info[/h4]• NFL: Falcons
2011: 68,986 (96.8 pct) (15th out of 32)
2010: 67,950 (95.2 pct) (15th out of 32)• MLB: Braves
2011: 30,037 (60.4 pct) (15th out of 30)
2010: 30,989 (61.9 pct) (13th out of 30)• NBA: Hawks 
'11-'12: 17,205 (19th out of 30)
'10-'11: 15,648 (83.6 pct) (22nd out of 30)
Pathetic.But it's Atlanta, known as Hotlanta.It's not for their passion when it comes to sports, just the weather. Oh yes, it gets hot down there.But when it comes to sports, no city is as cold to warm up to its home teams. And it's just not when it comes to the NFL and the Falcons.All of their teams have suffered from terrible support.Just ask the Hawks. Atlanta's young and exciting basketball team has had problems selling tickets over the years -- even during a pretty thrilling playoff run a few years back. It's not like they play in a dump on the bad side of town.The Philips Arena downtown is sweet, a cool place to see a game and be a part of the city as well. Yet, on most night you can get a section to yourself.Even back in the old Omni days when I covered the Knicks for the Daily News, there were always more Knicks fans in attendance than Hawks fans -- and they had Dominique Wilkins, the Human Highlight Film. Shame more didn't see him play in person.
[h4]Thrashers Attendance[/h4]
atl.gif
 Once the NHL lockout ended in 2005, the Thrashers' attendance steadily declined and remained near the bottom of the league.
[table][tr][th=""]Season[/th][th=""]Attendance[/th][th=""]NHL Rank[/th][/tr][tr][td]2010-11[/td][td]13,469[/td][td]28th[/td][/tr][tr][td]2009-10[/td][td]13,607[/td][td]28th[/td][/tr][tr][td]2008-09[/td][td]14,626[/td][td]29th[/td][/tr][tr][td]2007-08[/td][td]15,831[/td][td]22nd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2006-07[/td][td]16,240[/td][td]21st[/td][/tr][tr][td]2005-06[/td][td]15,550[/td][td]22nd[/td][/tr][/table]
Sadly, there always seemed to be empty seats at Turner Field when the Braves were in the playoffs as well. You still have to wonder how fans got tired of the Braves winning. They had the best pitching staff in Major League Baseball for a decade and won a World Series back in the '90s. Fans should not have missed a pitch during that run.Worse is the lack of passion the fans showed after an epic Braves collapse this season. Looking like a shoo-in most of the season, the Braves, who were 8½ games up in the National League wild-card race to start September, gave up their postseason spot on the last night of the season. The Braves went 9-18 in the final month, including a five-game losing streak to end the season. It allowed the St. Louis Cardinals to get in instead en route to winning the World Series.Heads should have rolled. Instead, Braves first-year manager Fredi Gonzalez wasn't under fire from the fan base and will be back this coming season. Again, most probably didn't even notice.Of course, there are some true-blue Atlanta sports fans. But in the 25 years I have covered sports in that town, attendance has always been an issue. Despite winning 14 straight division titles, the Braves only led the league in attendance once. In Game 4 in the 2010 NLDS, there were 6,000 empty seats. In the 2005 NLDS, there were 10,000 empty seats in Game 1 and 4,000 empties in Game 2. In the 2004 NLDS, there were 9,000 empty seats for Game 1 and 10,000 empties for Game 2. Last season, the Hawks ranked 22nd in attendance in the NBA.And don't forget the NHL!It's bad enough Atlanta got another hockey team, the Thrashers, after losing one already, the Flames in 1980. But it happened again -- the Thrashers are now in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Winnipeg? How embarrassing. Atlanta is once again hockey-less. Why? Terrible fan support.The NHL wanted to believe Atlanta is a major-league city, a city that could support all four major sports. But it can't. Atlanta is now the first city in the NHL's modern history to lose two hockey teams. So sad.That's why it would be a waste for the NFL gods to allow the city of Atlanta to lukewarmly enjoy a postseason win.The city and its lame fans simply don't deserve it.
The only team I've ever seen get legit support was the Braves...but even that has waned.

I really can't explain why either. 

At first I thought it was because we didn't have that hardcore base of blue-collar workers...but then there are other cities that are far more leisurely than us that have legit bases...so I don't know what it is about us that doesn't work. 

*shrug*

Thoughts NT? 

Over generalizing idiot who thinks he can judge a whole city's "passion."

So Giants deserve to win because their attendance is higher? Because they "live and die" with the team. I laughed.

Because of this article I'm rooting for the Falcons. I'll wait for the news reports of NY suicides after the game.

roll.gif
I saw that the other day. Even though he was sort of over the top, he was mostly telling the truth, especially about the Falcons.
They're a team who has legit stars on both sides of the ball and have been winning recently (last 3-4 years). I don't really understand
it, but it could be because of not much success early on to build a better fanbase. Between '66 and '91, the Falcons only had like 4-5
winning seasons, and very few after that, so that could play a role in it.

Of all the major cities/states for professional sports I have ever been to, Phoenix/Arizona is hands down the worst.

It's not the fact that people aren't going to Falcons game's like Giants games.

Atlanta, like he mentioned, is mostly a transplant city with professionals from other places.

It's the audacity to spew out a half @%% article with quotes such as "they might not even know what time the game is on."

Really? He uses that asinine assumption to determine Giants SHOULD win. The actual game or merit of the teams need not matter.

He didn't really go out on a limb with that one.

Atlanta, and a lot of Florida too, has disappointing fan support for their teams. It's not a total surprise since you'll get a lot of transplants who didn't grow up in the city/area for generations.

• NFL: Falcons
2011: 68,986 (96.8 pct) (15th out
of 32)
2010: 67,950 (95.2 pct) (15th out of
32)

The city and its lame fans simply
don't deserve it.

ESPNNewYork.com

hawks fans are lame, they were in triple overtime and they weren't even loud or anything

Originally Posted by GMSboy1

of 32)
32)

don't deserve it.

ESPNNewYork.com

Thats not that impressive though. Percentages matter more. Yes the Bears could prob draw 75-80k if they had the stadium to do so, but the politics got in the way of a dome in the 90's.
98%+ is the mark of teams that actually draw.

This is common sense, don't know why anyone is offended or shocked.

Parker also picked the Falcons to win on Sunday

Originally Posted by miamib30514

It's not the fact that people aren't going to Falcons game's like Giants games.

Atlanta, like he mentioned, is mostly a transplant city with professionals from other places.

It's the audacity to spew out a half @%% article with quotes such as "they might not even know what time the game is on."

Really? He uses that asinine assumption to determine Giants SHOULD win. The actual game or merit of the teams need not matter.
I really don't think you know Atlanta that well... 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Originally Posted by GMSboy1

of 32)
32)

don't deserve it.

ESPNNewYork.com
Thats not that impressive though. Percentages matter more. Yes the Bears could prob draw 75-80k if they had the stadium to do so, but the politics got in the way of a dome in the 90's.
98%+ is the mark of teams that actually draw.

I highlighted that they had a ~97% filled stadium this year. I don't get if you're agreeing or disagreeing.

not really their are tons of fans just most rather esp black folks spend money on clubs etc... And many of the whites etc and other races dont really come in the city like that except to come to work then migrate back to woodstock, marrietta, gwinnett etc... So fighting that 1+ hr or so commute not including how compact and disorganized/traffic etc is coupled with no other attractions surrounding the stadiums, many feel it isnt worth it. But if this poll factored in clubs,pubs, sports bars etc... it would deff. show there are some die-hard sport fans in georgia.

Originally Posted by LDJ

not really their are tons of fans just most rather esp black folks spend money on clubs etc... And many of the whites etc and other races dont really come in the city like that except to come to work then migrate back to woodstock, marrietta, gwinnett etc... So fighting that 1+ hr or so commute not including how compact and disorganized/traffic etc is coupled with no other attractions surrounding the stadiums, many feel it isnt worth it. But if this poll factored in clubs,pubs, sports bars etc... it would deff. show there are some die-hard sport fans in georgia.
/thread

I went to the Lakers/Hawks game last season and there were 2 problems:

1. The Kobe jersey sold out before and Hawks player(s)

2. When Kobe went to the FT line, the "MVP" chant broke out.

I was thoroughly embarrassed and pissed.

I gotta believe it has something to do with Georgia's redneck/hick population.  Vast majority of pro athletes aren't white.  Ever wonder why there aren't too many NBA teams in the South (Florida doesn't count)?

Originally Posted by Kfreud

I gotta believe it has something to do with Georgia's redneck/hick population.  Vast majority of pro athletes aren't white.  Ever wonder why there aren't too many NBA teams in the South (Florida doesn't count)?

Can't agree with this, 60% of professional baseball players are white and there's even less of those teams in the south...

Okay, I think I'm missing something. The stats shown in the article say that Atlanta is right about the average of all teams in their respective leagues (around 15th out of 30 teams, etc.). Uhh how is that supposed to demonstrate poor fan showing? They are, by any statistical account, right around "average". (OK, the stat for the Hawks is not great, but the others are hardly terrible.)

[I have no opinion either way about Atlanta's sports fans, just thought those were pretty lame stats to bring up... stats that don't even definitively show what you're trying to argue for.]

this is why i understand why teams like the yankees, cowboys, steelers, big market NBA teams: LA, NY, CHI, gets most of the attention/coverage and they deserve to. about this situation though, rob parker could say what he wants, but reality is atlanta people and people of else where can spend their money and time in any fashion they want. if atlanta is a bad sports town, so be it. stop giving them attention then. it's like calling a ugly girl, ugly. we already know she's ugly, why bring it up? if she gets a partner that's above her class, stop hating. stop worrying and live your own life. it's not like anyone could move a pro sports team to a deserving city easily.

Back
Top Bottom