European Futbol- do young players receive scholarships?

Since in Europe, they do not go with the collegiate system.  Professional clubs raise their own young players.

Is there a league wide Education Service, where players are mandated to keep up their grades or else they're ineligible to play.  Specifically targeting those still in high school (don't know what educational system they have over there, but anything before university)

And do they give out scholarships for players to attend post-secondary institution?  useful for those that don't wish to continue their futbol career since they can't make the big leagues.

Since practically all of Europe plays soccer, this question would apply to all countries.  so including Ricardo from Portugal or if its Mario from Italy etc.

Nope. Generally they have Youth Academies where they eat, sleep, and play. Some of them have studying involved but it is not a mandated thing. Alot of them get paid at a very young age too.

What he said. Same as in Brazil and Argentina. In high school I trained with Boca Juniors youth academy, the Renato Cesarini Academy, and Evertons Academy and it's basically soccer and fitness all day, every day.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

What he said. Same as in Brazil and Argentina. In high school I trained with Boca Juniors youth academy, the Renato Cesarini Academy, and Evertons Academy and it's basically soccer and fitness all day, every day.

eek.gif
tell us more.

you play competitive soccer still? or are you a pro just frequenting NT?
nerd.gif

Nah I don't play anymore. I got a couple of reserve offers senior year of high school but decided to play in college (Duke then UConn). Invited to Combine and promised by Stevie Nicol that he would have drafted me in the supplemental draft, at the very least, but I was burnt out and wanted nothing to do with professional soccerat that point. Pay sucks as well (MLS).

do you guys think its a good or bad concept? that they don't have any educational aspect in these youth academies.

would it work over on this side of the globe. take out the whole NCAA concept and just go with minor league clubs (all business, no scholarships, no educational incentives) raising kids to one day go into the NFL draft

Wouldn't work because the chance to play in the NFL is pretty small, unlike in soccer where there are TONS of professional leagues in the world so the chance to go pro are pretty high. Amateur athletes here need an education to fall back on. European/South American youth soccer players will always have soccer as an avenue so education isn't a priority.

Back
Top Bottom