Everybody wants to be something they're not…

Originally Posted by ebayologist

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

its the system

I hate this system

I am forced to take foreign language and I hate language classes

I was with you until you started hating on foreign language. That #%%@ is mad useful. I wish I knew another language. Both my mom and gf speak spanish. Whereas my spanish basically begins and ends at "por que?" and "morir sonando".
I have no interest in learning it as you don't have interest learning science

and the language course i am taking is french....

I hate that flamboyant accent, matter of fact i think i am going to drop it

laugh.gif
A photographer talking down science. Them dudes are probably the ones building your cameras.

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

Why would i pay you to take pictures? Can't i buy the same camera you have? "Ooh black and white pictures of sneakerheads i'm so artistic and useful to society."

Well for starters I shoot color film. Second, I now shoot with large format camera, I kinda doubt you've ever seen a large format camera, let alone knowhow to use it or would spend the roughly 3 grand I've spend on the various parts to make it function. Wholly aside from I'm working on other projectsother than "The Sneakerheads". But I don't think you can afford my photographs now either anyways so take it easy big cat. keep it movin'…Not even going to get into the whole I came up with the concept and wrote various writing etc. on the meaning/ideas whatnot behind the work.

ebayologist wrote:

I'm willing to admit it's not my finest piece of writing, but as far as rants go I thought it was at very least for par.

roll.gif
I actually lolled at that one

Do you have any of these photos online that hold in such high esteem

Originally Posted by F A Y B A N

laugh.gif
A photographer talking down science. Them dudes are probably the ones building your cameras.

I thought that was engineers and photographers who built my cameras. Maybe you're on to something but i don't know… I'll give you the benefit ofthe doubt for the time being

But it's really the other way around. When those idiots went to the moon. What kinda camera did they bring? A Hasselblad. See so the way I see it,they're benefiting from photographers. Not the other way around.

The hubble telescope? Without photography I'm sure that $!#@ would blow !!%@.

its the system

I hate this system

I am forced to take foreign language and I hate language classes

I was with you until you started hating on foreign language. That #%%@ is mad useful. I wish I knew another language. Both my mom and gf speak spanish. Whereas my spanish basically begins and ends at "por que?" and "morir sonando".
I have no interest in learning it as you don't have interest learning science

and the language course i am taking is french....

I hate that flamboyant accent, matter of fact i think i am going to drop it

Ehh, I don't know that I agree, cause some French accents sound wildly pompous without even trying which is kinda live. But fair enough.

Originally Posted by desoIation1

they'll be making more money than you too

I don't think scientists can afford my pictures now. They damn sure won't be able to when I get out of school. They live like bums putting all their money into space-shuttles and satellites. Scientists are like wack rappers, that spend their advance money on "whips and chains" (word to cam'ron).

On my SAT steelo.
scientists are to wack rappers as
space-shuttles and satellites are to whips and chains.

laugh.gif
eek.gif
%%! was that

has anyone ever told you you come off as a snob.
if your gonna be making millions shotting pictures take the science class and shut your %** up. and dont complain.

Originally Posted by Cyprus Sinner II

So I'm curious, how much does your work go for?

Should I contact your dealer?

I don't have an art dealer
laugh.gif
and I've got more fingers on one hand than I've sold photographs and I'm also still in school (the scienceclass is part of whats still keeping me in undergrad
laugh.gif
),

But to answer your question low 4 to high 3 figures for reasonably large prints.

silly photographer

someone lock this up this is one of the lamer rants i've seen on NT

Without science your life would suck.

Everything you have had something to do with science in it's making. Take a camera lens for example. Without science it's impossible to take regulargranules of sand and turn them into the mulit thousand dollar camera lenses that some people use.

It might take some time just sitting and thinking about to understand, but EVERYTHING we have we can thank at least a portion of it to science.

Why do you think the US is not being bombed everyday. Cuz we created the scientific technology to have satelites and various other things to detect and warn usso that we can react.

Think about the computer you're typing on right now. Without science it would never work. How can you explain how all the letters, numbers, and symbolsshow up on your computer screen. Somebody devised a way to take liquids and gases and turn them into a visually useful piece of technology.

Everything works together.

Without science you can't create a camera. Using the camera created by science we can use it to develop better forms of medicines to help benefit ourbodies. They go hand in hand.

I jumped around a bit with my thought process, but I hope you see where I'm coming from.

^Word. I can dig that.

But knowing how many light years away alpha centari is from earth is not very practical.

I'm not hating on science as a whole.

I just think these scientist people took a good thing and ran with it, but instead of going for a jog to and figuring out medicine and lens and other $$*+ theyran a +@@%@%# marathon and decided to figure out some hectic $$*+ that really when it boils down to it is only useful for pure curiosities sake.

And then they have this agenda that we all need to know this #+@#.

And I'm like no we don't all need to know that most of that #+@#. It's mostly wild useless.

i can't put my finger on any one phrase you have given us in this post, but i would like to let you know that you are exuding an air of disdain forsomething you don't quite understand. please expand your mind and try and think of a few things in your life that have absolutely nothing to do withscience.

there would be no cameras without science. seriously. you use chemicals right? and don't tell me a photographer invented a camera. before he wasphotographing anything he was testing the light sensitivity of different materials and their reactions to chemicals.

you're using a computer to post this rant, right? last i checked, those scientist characters have done a pretty good job with the computer technologystuff! get this; they made a phone device that you can carry with you that is not connected by any wires and you can use it to hear the voice of somebody elsehalfway around the world!

okay, so i saw you used the word 'engineer' up there. sure, they do a lot of stuff (you do know that engineers have a strong scientific background, notonly in their course material, but also in their way of thinking/analyzing/creating a solution for a problem.) and maybe you'd like to definitively draw aline between engineers and scientists. okay. i know some entomologists who are basically 'bug scientists' that are busy cataloging and studying variousstrains of ants. see, ants are a pretty resilient species that tend to adapt to their environment. there are several different types of ants. do you takepictures of ants? they're pretty cool looking. anyways, these entomologists are trying to find weaknesses and similarities between ant varieties so thatthey can inform some other scientists working in the field of toxins and genetic engineering to create plants that can hold up to ant abuse better or createpesticides that work better on ants. they are also analyzing the various predators of ants so that their natural population remains in check and doesn'toverwhelm plantations/crops/food supply storage areas. believe me, those entomologists are glad you aren't doing their work for them. and they probablydon't want you helping them. (unless you could take pictures of ants) but i'm sure they would want you to understand the nature of what they are doingso that the next time it comes around to vote for scientific grants, or donate to charity, or whatever you do that involves sharing resources with people otherthan yourself, you take into consideration the fact that billions of people around the world are doing things every day that affect you without the slightestbit of realization on your behalf. do you want to take on the responsibility for keeping the worlds ant population in check? no? okay, well, hey! there'sthis group of people over here who do! i bet if you let them, they'll do a pretty good job of making it so that you don't have to worry about thatwhile you're doing whatever it is that you do.

i'd like to add at this point that i have the utmost respect for photographers. especially those who can support themselves by selling their work.

here's a thought for you.
on one of your first gallery openings have a big banner out front that says, "i hate science. i think science sucks, and scientists should leave everybodyelse alone."
and then when people come in and ask you about your work, you should monopolize the conversation about how useless you think the space program is, or howsatellites don't contribute anything to society that is even slightly relevent.

did you know that velcro is one of the inventions that resulted indirectly from the space program. have you ever used velcro? have you ever known anybody whohas used velcro, or seen anything remotely useful that uses velcro?

please consider this also. i really hope that you don't stop learning when you 'finish' or 'graduate' school. that would be sad. i'msure your success will allow you to travel much farther than you thought possible, and you will be introduced to and encounter so many new things. i hope youfind a way to be somewhat inquisitive or interested about them. if not, i can't imagine that your life would contain any sense of progression or meaningbeyond the darkroom and how much money people want to give you.

most of my reading and learning has taken place after i have left school. i found some really interesting books about urban planning that absolutely blow mymind when i see beautiful aerial photos of highly urbanized areas, and give me deep insight about traffic patterns while waiting at red lights. (a lot of theknowledge in those books used scientific theory and proofs to arrive at some conclusions, so i think science may be involved some how.)

let's conclude by wishing you luck in your last few sessions of this class. hang in there! i'm sure you'll get a passing grade or better.

Ebay, I've never seen your work.

Also, I think science is pretty key in photography. Especially with chemicals and development.

To YOU it may seem as though the marathon wasn't worth it. But that is prob cuz you don't have the same knowledge as they do of the subject.

Just as if we were to both use my camera and take the same exact picture who's pic would come out better? Prob yours because your knowledge of the subjectis far greater than mine. My camera knowledge just about begins and ends with the AUTO setting, but if you were to take it and mess with the exposure and allother kinds of settings the outcome would be completely different.

Also take my job for instance. Most people couldn't give a crap about the stockroom including the other employees. Even customers prob don't care. Butwhat people fail to realize is that my job is very important. If you got a shoe somewhere it needs to go back into the same spot if it's not sold. Surejust being lazy and dropping it off on any old shelf might seem like a good choice, but multiply that times 8-9 people doing so 3-4 times a day with 7 days ina week and you've got one F'd up stockroom. Employees will complain that they can't find the shoes, and customers will complain cuz you'retaking so long to get their shoes.

If you just think about the importance of how this one little factor can mean success or failure as a business and then apply it to science or even photographythen you'll see how everything is important. Doesn't matter if you care or not, because at the end of the day it just works.

Originally Posted by roback1991

Also, I think science is pretty key in photography. Especially with chemicals and development.

That's chemistry. Which I know is part of science. You gotta read what I'm saying. I'm not referring to photographic chemistry, I'm referringto like astronomy and other useless sciences.

Yo, why you so mad?

edit: and thats not a typical "you mad?" like seriously, you puttin so much energy into your hate, its a waste. just get through it, and go aboutyour day.

that's right! i forgot how useless astronomy is!

by any chance, do you live in an area so horribly riddled by light pollution that you can no longer see the stars?

That's chemistry. Which I know is part of science. You gotta read what I'm saying. I'm not referring to photographic chemistry, I'm referring to like astronomy and other useless sciences.
I know what you're saying. Sometimes you gotta just nut-up and push through it. Appreciate that you're filling your brain with knowledge!

Useless, pointless, numerical knowledge.

I didn't know SAIC had this hard of Gen-Ed classes
laugh.gif

You keep saying USELESS sciences.

How about changing your thought process. While it may seem useless to you it is def useful.

Take this mindframe instead.........Science is very important, but I ebayologist do not find any personal interest in the subject matter.
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with not being interested in something, just don't down it before you have your facts straight.

BTW - This thread went from a horrific waste of time, to something semi-worthwhile. It has reminded me to look at things I dislike in a brand new perspective.

That's chemistry. Which I know is part of science. You gotta read what I'm saying. I'm not referring to photographic chemistry, I'm referring to like astronomy and other useless sciences.
I know what you're saying. Sometimes you gotta just nut-up and push through it. Appreciate that you're filling your brain with knowledge!

Useless, pointless, numerical knowledge.

I didn't know SAIC had this hard of Gen-Ed classes
laugh.gif

Oh, it's not difficult and contrary to what NT may now think I'm reasonably intelligent person.
laugh.gif
So yeah, it's a joke, but it kills me on theinside. The 3 hours a week of "life in the universe" are torture.

Back
Top Bottom