Ex UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher Dies....

Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies

View media item 354258
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher has died "peacefully" at the age of 87 after suffering a stroke, her family has announced.

Successor David Cameron called her a "great Briton" and the Queen spoke of her sadness at the death.

Lady Thatcher was Conservative prime minister from 1979 to 1990. She was the first woman to hold the role.

She will not be accorded a state funeral, in accordance with her own wishes, Downing Street said.

Mr Cameron, who is in Madrid for meetings, has cancelled planned talks in Paris with French President Francois Hollande and will return to the UK later on Monday.

'Great leader'
Lady Thatcher, born Margaret Roberts, served as MP for Finchley, north London, from 1959 to 1992.

Having been education secretary, she successfully challenged former prime minister Edward Heath for her party's leadership in 1975 and won general elections in 1979, 1983 and 1987.

Lady Thatcher's government privatised several state-owned industries. She was also in power when the UK went to war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands in 1982.

In a statement on the Downing Street Twitter feed, Mr Cameron said: "It was with great sadness that l learned of Lady Thatcher's death. We've lost a great leader, a great prime minister and a great Briton."

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "The Queen was sad to hear the news of the death of Baroness Thatcher. Her Majesty will be sending a private message of sympathy to the family."

London Mayor Boris Johnson tweeted: "Very sad to hear of death of Baroness Thatcher. Her memory will live long after the world has forgotten the grey suits of today's politics."

UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage called Lady Thatcher a "great inspiration", adding: "Whether you loved her or hated her nobody could deny that she was a great patriot, who believed passionately in this country and her people. A towering figure in recent British and political history has passed from the stage. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family."

Senior Conservative MP David Davis said: "Margaret Thatcher was the greatest of modern British prime ministers, and was central to the huge transformation of the whole world that took place after the fall of the Soviet Union.

"Millions of people in Britain and around the world owe her a debt of gratitude for their freedom and their quality of life, which was made possible by her courageous commitment to the principles of individual freedom and responsibility."

Lady Thatcher had suffered poor health for several years.

All my British friends are going to the pub today to celebrate. She was terrible for the working people of England.

I always confused her for strom thurmond for some reason. I legit thought she was a supreme court judge this whole time.

Was one of the worst things to ever happen to our Country - Places like Liverpool are only now starting to rebuild after she took away all the working trade and money from Working class Cities

absolute scum. rot in hell. RIP Bobby Sands.

Was one of the worst things to ever happen to our Country - Places like Liverpool are only now starting to rebuild after she took away all the working trade and money from Working class Cities

Can you guys go into more detail? I only found out about this hatred when a friend of mine posted about how his father popped a bottle of champagne that he had been saving for "exactly this moment." LOL, the hate is so real. What policies did she enact that led to this hatred from the working class?

Can you guys go into more detail? I only found out about this hatred when a friend of mine posted about how his father popped a bottle of champagne that he had been saving for "exactly this moment." LOL, the hate is so real. What policies did she enact that led to this hatred from the working class?

Under her Unemployment rose; Working hours increased; Public transport deteriorated; thousands of council homes were sold off - which was good as a short election winner but costly in the long run as we now have national shortage of social housing!

Thatcher was willing to destroy peoples lives in order to make her friends happy. She was willing to see murder done..in order for her political ideology to be satisfied.
She was willing to divide the nation in order for her ego to be satisfied.

For US folks to understand it was a bit like having a Republican president for 3 terms who privatised everything and made their rich business owning friends happy - at the expense of basically everyone else.

She's still a major reason that housing and utilities etc are more expensive than they should be.

For US folks to understand it was a bit like having a Republican president for 3 terms who privatised everything and made their rich business owning friends happy - at the expense of basically everyone else.

She's still a major reason that housing and utilities etc are more expensive than they should be.

You mean george w only he got it done in 2 terms. He, the veep, & their Haliburton buddies made billions off of creating & sustaining a war.

Fitting that she & reagan suffered from dementia before they passed.

Last edited:
All my British friends are going to the pub today to celebrate. She was terrible for the working people of England.

She was also a supporter of Apartheid regime, and was vocal about her belief that sanctions against an Apartheid Government should be dropped. Best believe, many people around the world are happy she's gone...

So she was the George W Bush of her country?

Sorta - she was clearly a capable person but her policies were similar to Bush in that they were no good for the average person. She did a lot of damage to the working and middle class areas of the country.

Back
Top Bottom