Executive Order 9066 - Japanese Internment --- 67 yrs later...

[h1]Today, a day of remembrance, marks pivotal point in WWIIhttp://www.theolympian.com/opinion/story/763218.html[/h1]
• Published February 19, 2009
There was a time of life in the 1940s when the United States was peaceful. World War I had long since passed, but the world itself was unsettled. After war broke out in Europe, one frightful day in December of 1941 brought America into the war in the Pacific theater. That day affected more than 100,000 Americans of Japanese descent and Japanese immigrants loyal and faithful to the United States.

On Feb. 19, 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066 directing the Department of War, the U.S. Army and the U.S. Navy to imprison Japanese and Japanese-Americans at various locations within the borders of the United States without any suspicion of wrongdoing other than race or national origin.

After Executive Order 9066 was signed, Gen. John DeWitt signed Proclamation 1 and 2 on March 2, 1942, that established a specific geographical area on the West Coast where much of the Japanese population resided. President Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9102 on March 18, 1942, establishing the War Relocation Authority for incarceration.

In Washington, once these orders were in effect, Japanese-Americans were ordered by U.S. government agents to collect personal items they could carry and were required to evacuate from their homes in Bainbridge Island, Seattle, the Kent Valley, and other locations throughout the state. They were ordered to report to the processing center at the Puyallup fairgrounds, then moved on to Pinedale, Ore., and Tule Lake, Calif. for further internment. Japanese-Americans in other West Coast states were forcibly evacuated to internment camps scattered throughout the West and South. Although these Japanese-Americans were loyal and even willing to fight for America in the war against Japan and the other Axis powers, these Americans had to endure fear and hysteria because they looked like the enemy.

During this time, an all-Japanese-American Army unit was formed: the 442nd Combat Regiment Team, including the 100th Infantry Division and the Military Intelligence Service comprised of the Nisei - second generation Japanese-Americans who enlisted from within the camps. These units fought ferociously to prove their selflessness and loyalty to themselves, their families and most importantly to the United States. In doing so, these Nisei units distinguished themselves by earning more distinguished decorations and awards than any unit in the U.S. armed forces - the Medal of Honor, Silver and Bronze Stars with the "V" insignia for valor, Distinguished Service medals, the Purple Heart and many others. These all Japanese-American units liberated the Dachau death camp in Germany and rescued the 36th Infantry Division, known also as the Lost Battalion.

After the war ended in the Pacific Theater in 1945, the interned Japanese-Americans were released. Some who wished to return to their original homes found they could not because their homes were disposed of while others, choosing not to return to racism and hatred moved to other geographical areas. Each of these Americans still encountered prejudice, hate and mistrust because of unfounded fear of their race alone.

It took many decades to dispel false beliefs, but life lessons still need to be brought to light. For this day in history is remembered in that others are our equals, that we must learn from the mistakes of history of these horrendous events which occurred on our own soil. Sadly, these mistakes continue in one form or another to other people.

Bob Nakamura, president of the Olympia chapter of the Japanese American Citizens League, is a retired U.S. Army finance corps noncommissioned officer. A member of The Olympian's Diversity Panel, Nakamura can be reached at sgtmilehibob@yahoo.com.

a sad day in recent US history....

Order_9066.jpg
japannot.gif

7_clip_image001.jpg

japanese%20internment.jpg

i wish people really knew the history of our country and the history and struggles of the many people that make it great. not just black white, but asianamericans, native americans, latin americans etc.

we've all paid our dues.

Originally Posted by 718stylez

i wish people really knew the history of our country and the history and struggles of the many people that make it great. not just black white, but asian americans, native americans, latin americans etc.

we've all paid our dues.

QFT

Good post. Hopefully everyone is able to take a piece of this article to heart, Japanese or not.

i wish people really knew the history of our country and the history and struggles of the many people that make it great. not just black white, but asian americans, native americans, latin americans etc.

we've all paid our dues.
what dues have white people paid?

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

(waits for the republicans to come in)
Shut the ++$% up
eyes.gif
. FDR was a Democrat.

Irish aka the White %%@+%!, Italians, Jews, Eastern and Southern Europeans have all suffered. Before they were able to assimilate only WesternEuropeans were considered "white".

Look it up.

The worst part about that whole sitauation was that these were friends and neighbors. Innocent people.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by ericberry14

we've all paid our dues.
laughter.gif
you laughin at me or with me?

we've all paid our dues.
laughter.gif

By your ignorant comment I hope you were referring to the wealthy elite. Money knows no skin color. Every race has had hardships. Some worse than others.

we've all paid our dues.
the concept of whiteness has changed greatly since the 1800's. Back then, whites were really only considered English, French, Dutch, Germanetc. Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese, Irish, Scottish and Jews of almost all ethnicity were considered non-white and experienced many of the same prejudice anddiscrimination as blacks. They were denied work, school and housing. Many Italians were lynched.

As the country grew, they were more able to assimilate (for obvious reasons) than blacks and were accepted into the fold.

Many people have suffered in the history of our country. Some more than others, obviously. But we've also all have pitched in in our own way to keep thisnation moving onto bigger and better things.

we've all paid our dues.
laughter.gif
laughing at the notion of white people having payed dues in this type of discussion
thank you. but i still wana hear how people will claim that white people have paid their dues

Originally Posted by nnarum

By your ignorant comment I hope you were referring to the wealthy elite. Money knows no skin color. Every race has had hardships. Some worse than others.
please tell me the dues that white people have paid

we've all paid our dues.
The American Revolution?

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

we've all paid our dues.
The American Revolution?
you might wanna be a lil bit mroe detailed, because id ont see how that is an example of white people paying their dues

Originally Posted by rickybadman

we've all paid our dues.
Ummm... you know that white dudes fought the Revolutionary War and most of the Union Army was white, so yes whites have paid. That being said saying every race paid without acknowledging whose bill was the biggest is wrong, in my opinion . Black and Native Americans paid the greatest price.
the last 2 sentences are perfectly stated. But still could you people be more specific about how white people have paid the same type of dues thatother races have

I can't say that it's a situation like slavery or a concentration camp, but the holocaust involved white Jewish people. I don't thinknearly as many people died as what has been reported, but a lot of people were tortured and killed because they believed in different things, or didn'thave body features as how the Nazis wanted. Just one example since your dying to hear...

And please do not get this topic derailed because of your personal opinions. If you have nothing to bring to the table for the topic at hand, start a newthread.

And one last thing, the constant bickering about who's suffered the most puts situations like the original topic out of focus... How are you supposed tolearn from something if you're not willing to understand.
smh.gif

I can't say that it's a situation like slavery or a concentration camp, but the holocaust involved white Jewish people. I don't think nearly as many people died as what has been reported, but a lot of people were tortured and killed because they believed in different things, or didn't have body features as how the Nazis wanted. Just one example since your dying to hear...

And please do not get this topic derailed because of your personal opinions. If you have nothing to bring to the table for the topic at hand, start a new thread.

And one last thing, the constant bickering about who's suffered the most puts situations like the original topic out of focus... How are you supposed to learn from something if you're not willing to understand.
smh.gif
the holocaust didnt happein in the United States big guy. im under the impression that we are specifically referring to the United States whentalking about who paid their dues.

EDIT: did i ever compare who has suffered the most? No i didn't, i simply asked how have white people paid their dues. No comparison has been made in thisthread, you are the one bringing up the issue of comparison

Living in the Bay Area has give me a closer understanding of the historical events that shaped the internment of Japanese Americans. I recently sat in on a UCBerkeley seminar discussing the historical significance of Japanese internment in the Bay Area, and the horrific nature and widespread extend of internmentreally hit home. With the revamping of Angel Island (a former military owned island in the SF Bay similar to Ellis Island in NYC), there has been a concertedeffort to inform people about what seems to be an unforgivable part of our past.

Unfurled sign in SF at 13th and Franklin:
763px-JapaneseAmericanGrocer1942.jpg

Japanese American family expelled from Hayward, CA (*near my hometown)
Japanese_American_Internment_-_Members_of_the_Mochida_Family_Awaiting_Evacuation_1942.gif
a copy of the actual Presidential letter sent, following the passage of the Civil Liberties Act of 1988, with reparations checks of $20,000 to victims of WWII internment.

Under the Reagan administration:
WhiteHouseLetter.GIF

we've all paid our dues.
Ummm... you know that white dudes fought the Revolutionary War and most of the Union Army was white, so yes whites have paid. That being said saying every race paid without acknowledging whose bill was the biggest is wrong, in my opinion . Black and Native Americans paid the greatest price.
the last 2 sentences are perfectly stated. But still could you people be more specific about how white people have paid the same type of dues that other races have
It is like this, if white men did not fight and die in the Revolutionary War the country would not get it;s independence i.e American would not exist. Also no matter how much African Americans hate to hear this white men are the ones who fought( sometimes against heir own family members) and died in the Civil War, a war that lead to the end of slavery. Yes white men caused a lot of suffering for other races but others died to guarantee the freedoms and rights all American enjoy today.
thank you for that answer. pretty good explanation of how white people have paid some dues in the building of this country.

I can't say that it's a situation like slavery or a concentration camp, but the holocaust involved white Jewish people. I don't think nearly as many people died as what has been reported, but a lot of people were tortured and killed because they believed in different things, or didn't have body features as how the Nazis wanted. Just one example since your dying to hear...

And please do not get this topic derailed because of your personal opinions. If you have nothing to bring to the table for the topic at hand, start a new thread.

And one last thing, the constant bickering about who's suffered the most puts situations like the original topic out of focus... How are you supposed to learn from something if you're not willing to understand.
smh.gif
the holocaust didnt happein in the United States big guy. im under the impression that we are specifically referring to the United States when talking about who paid their dues.

EDIT: did i ever compare who has suffered the most? No i didn't, i simply asked how have white people paid their dues. No comparison has been made in this thread, you are the one bringing up the issue of comparison
Then don't say ignorant things of "how have white people paid their dues?"... You didn't specify who and where. You generalizeda race because you are concerned with who was treated the worst. It's not about that. It's about learning to understand and respect each other.Something you have shown that you cannot do due to your personal beliefs and ignorance to understand others.

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

we've all paid our dues.
The American Revolution?
you might wanna be a lil bit mroe detailed, because id ont see how that is an example of white people paying their dues
The majority, if not all, of the leaders of the American Revolution were white. They fought hard for our independence.

Why does everything have to be about "My struggle was harder than yours!" with so many people. Its not a contest.

we've all paid our dues.
the last 2 sentences are perfectly stated. But still could you people be more specific about how white people have paid the same type of dues that other races have
It is like this, if white men did not fight and die in the Revolutionary War the country would not get it;s independence i.e American would not exist. Also no matter how much African Americans hate to hear this white men are the ones who fought( sometimes against heir own family members) and died in the Civil War, a war that lead to the end of slavery. Yes white men caused a lot of suffering for other races but others died to guarantee the freedoms and rights all American enjoy today.
thank you for that answer. pretty good explanation of how white people have paid some dues in the building of this country.

But why does this even matter? The original topic is about the inhumane treatment of fellow citizens, regardless of ethnic background.

smh.gif
the holocaust didnt happein in the United States big guy. im under the impression that we are specifically referring to the United States when talking about who paid their dues.

EDIT: did i ever compare who has suffered the most? No i didn't, i simply asked how have white people paid their dues. No comparison has been made in this thread, you are the one bringing up the issue of comparison
Then don't say ignorant things of "how have white people paid their dues?"... You didn't specify who and where. You generalized a race because you are concerned with who was treated the worst. It's not about that. It's about learning to understand and respect each other. Something you have shown that you cannot do due to your personal beliefs and ignorance to understand others.
you do realize that this topic is about the Japanese Internment in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. why would we be talking about anywhere else? Butonce again please show me where i said ANYTHING about who was treated worse. you can look through every single post i've made in this thread & you wontfind a single instance of me talking about who had it worse.

Also if you look at the post i made right before this, you can see how me & rickybadman got my question answered in an intelligent manner without trying toput down anybody. I asked a question which required a thoughtful answer & he provided that for me. You on the other hand were unable to do that, so we cancease this lil discussion.

Back
Top Bottom