F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Really, the Driver of the Day thing is a bit of a joke. A popularity contest. Sometimes the winner deserves it on merit, but at the same time, we've also seen random "winners" like Haryanto get the most number of votes, but didn't win it. It can be manipulated. Just a bit of fun for the fans online, but that's about it.

Definitely! If it wasn’t biased, Lewis for sure would have gotten driver of the day today with the intensity from lap 1 to 70.

Everyone is loving Max right now and people have been hating Lewis so there’s no way he could win. Max could end up in P20 and still probably would get it. Lol. Good thing they get not points for that. Just a put on the back.

Fastest lap is on the driver so that point is earned for sure.
Yea, people are really fed up of Lewis/Mercedes winning that he doesn't get DOTD for a drive like today.

I thought that would've changed with the last 4 races injecting life back into F1 this season but I guess not.

It's the same reason the "Max is the best" thing started even though Lewis had won 7 races at the time. People are fed up with it I guess.

It's a shame since Hamilton won't be here forever and the youngsters are snapping at his heels already. Their time will come

BTW, forgot to mention this. Anthony Mackie. Came of as a bit of an ***. :rolleyes

It looked more like he didn't want to be interviewed, which I definitely understand. If I'm there to see the F1 cars up close, leave me alone lol

They way Ham closed that gap was insane. The strategy by merc was top level. They had nothing to lose but everything to gain with that last pit.

Yup. The gambled pulled off! It took nearly the full 70 laps to overtake but it worked.

Didn’t give up one bit and caught up. Definitely driver of the day worthy, but of course the hate by others won’t allow it to happen.

Meaningless thing of course, just annoyed it’s picked by jealousy and saltiness rather than skill and performance. You got 2nd place but started first, makes sense you are the best driver of 20?

There has been races where Mercedes (BOT and HAM) dominated but they don’t get any love because they are in that strong of a car.

Unfortunately the driver of the day voting is worthless, because most of the time the people are ignoring the performance of the drivers and vote solely based on who they like and dislike.
Does Hamilton ever get driver of the day? I don’t know how Max got it. Finished 2nd, after being on pole.

I guess it’s because it’s a fan vote and he’s mostly excluded since he’s in a Mercedes and he’s also the most hated driver in F1.

He didn’t even win driver of the day in the British GP where it seemed he dominated from FP1 until the race is over.

I feel like it’s similar to the Golden State Warriors where fans will root for literally anyone else to win. Personally, I’m a Ferrari fan but I love Lewis individually and appreciate his greatness. We’re blessed to be able to witness someone chase Schumacher’s record.

Yea, people are really fed up of Lewis/Mercedes winning that he doesn't get DOTD for a drive like today.

I thought that would've changed with the last 4 races injecting life back into F1 this season but I guess not.

It's the same reason the "Max is the best" thing started even though Lewis had won 7 races at the time. People are fed up with it I guess.

It's a shame since Hamilton won't be here forever and the youngsters are snapping at his heels already. Their time will come

Yes. The youngsters will have their chance soon enough, but for now and this season. It’s Hamilton to beat.

It looked more like he didn't want to be interviewed, which I definitely understand. If I'm there to see the F1 cars up close, leave me alone lol
If you're a 'famous' person on the grid, then it's highly likely you'll be asked for an interview. Apparently, he told Fox that he was a Ferrari/Seb fan. An interview with Martin would have taken him probably less than a minute. He could have talked about his excitement in seeing F1 cars up-close, but instead, he came off as very rude in front of tens of millions of viewers. It just felt very unnecessary.

If you're a 'famous' person on the grid, then it's highly likely you'll be asked for an interview. Apparently, he told Fox that he was a Ferrari/Seb fan. An interview with Martin would have taken him probably less than a minute. He could have talked about his excitement in seeing F1 cars up-close, but instead, he came off as very rude in front of tens of millions of viewers. It just felt very unnecessary.

He was walking and talking to multiple people while also taking photos of the cars, he smiled + answered what was asked, and Brundle's questions were god awful lol "you like driving?"

I'm sure if Brundle hadn't hounded him like TMZ and asked better, open-ended questions, it would have been a much better interview

Silly season is about to start.

Who would you guys prefer in the 2nd Mercedes seat? Bottas or Ocon?

I think If you were a Merc fan, you will say Bottas for the stability.
As as an F1 fan, Bottas for the 4th year in a row doesn't sound exciting at this point. He's 29, I believe so I don't see him improving much.

I would've loved to see Ocon in a two year contract with George Russell ready to join or swap in case Ocon is not good enough or Lewis retires.

Also looking forward to see what happens at Red Bull with Gasly. I can't see him keeping the seat but there's no one to replace him so he might be lucky.

I think Lewis would definitely like the team to stick with Bottas, as he’s a solid #2 who will follow orders and isn’t good enough to challenge him, but I think Wolff has had his mind set on Ocon ever since he wasn’t unable to find him a seat for this season. Ocon will be in next year, in my opinion, it’s just a matter of when Wolff decides to announce it. The Ocon vs Verstappen battle could be a great narrative for the sport, if they’re both in competitive seats.

Valtteri will be 30 in a couple of weeks, and I know Williams wasn’t the absolute dumpster fire it is now when he was driving for them, but he went from finishing 4th & 5th in the Driver’s Championship in a Williams to finishing 3rd & 5th in a Merc. And I know Lewis being the better driver has at times gotten priority in strategy decisions, but Bottas has still made quite a few missteps himself in his years with Merc.

If Ocon does end up with the seat next season, how long does Russell rot away in that Williams? With Lewis recently saying he has no plans of hanging it up anytime soon.

I still can’t believe a guy as impatient as Marko has stayed with Gasly so long. Both STR drivers look like they’d be better options at this point.

I personally don't see it happening and I don't think think even Max will want that at the moment.
He already said it's not best for his career to be paired with Hamilton or Vettel but will do so if he had no choice. He would rather build a team around him which he's successfully done at Red Bull.

I think Lewis would definitely like the team to stick with Bottas, as he’s a solid #2 who will follow orders and isn’t good enough to challenge him, but I think Wolff has had his mind set on Ocon ever since he wasn’t unable to find him a seat for this season. Ocon will be in next year, in my opinion, it’s just a matter of when Wolff decides to announce it. The Ocon vs Verstappen battle could be a great narrative for the sport, if they’re both in competitive seats.

Valtteri will be 30 in a couple of weeks, and I know Williams wasn’t the absolute dumpster fire it is now when he was driving for them, but he went from finishing 4th & 5th in the Driver’s Championship in a Williams to finishing 3rd & 5th in a Merc. And I know Lewis being the better driver has at times gotten priority in strategy decisions, but Bottas has still made quite a few missteps himself in his years with Merc.

If Ocon does end up with the seat next season, how long does Russell rot away in that Williams? With Lewis recently saying he has no plans of hanging it up anytime soon.

I still can’t believe a guy as impatient as Marko has stayed with Gasly so long. Both STR drivers look like they’d be better options at this point.

Ocon's been out of a drive for a year so is he as sharp at the moment and how quick can he get to grips with the car?
I know he's their simulator guy but last thing Mercedes wants is another Gasly situation but I think Ocon is better than that.

I think Geoge is contracted till 2021 so he will accept his place at Williams and it's a good learning curve for him I think. He has loads of time left and if Ocon's not performing then he could swoop in or be next in line if Lewis retires. That spot can go to Max though if Red Bull are not as competitive in the next few years.

Marko used all his chips :lol:
There's no one else to replace Gasly with.
The dream would be Alonso in the Red Bull though.

I personally don't see it happening and I don't think think even Max will want that at the moment.
He already said it's not best for his career to be paired with Hamilton or Vettel but will do so if he had no choice. He would rather build a team around him which he's successfully done at Red Bull.

Ocon's been out of a drive for a year so is he as sharp at the moment and how quick can he get to grips with the car?
I know he's their simulator guy but last thing Mercedes wants is another Gasly situation but I think Ocon is better than that.

I think Geoge is contracted till 2021 so he will accept his place at Williams and it's a good learning curve for him I think. He has loads of time left and if Ocon's not performing then he could swoop in or be next in line if Lewis retires. That spot can go to Max though if Red Bull are not as competitive in the next few years.

Marko used all his chips :lol:
There's no one else to replace Gasly with.
The dream would be Alonso in the Red Bull though.

I don't really see Ocon taking Bottas' seat, he's just being used as a negotiating tactic by Mercedes. It feels more likely that he'll be at Racing Point/Williams or gets released from his contract and ends up somewhere like Haas/Renault to get back into F1 next year. I would much rather see Bottas sign another year, and then bring in George to replace him. George feels like a better driver than Ocon even though this is his rookie season imo, and he's definitely more mature

There's a ton of people RB could replace Gasly with if they wanted to, and they really should. Only reason I can think of that they're not replacing him now is that they already have someone lined up for that seat next year who's currently driving somewhere else *cough* hulk *cough* and I'm sure most teams would be hesitant to swap for Gasly. A better driver in that seat for the rest of this season would really help them in the fight against Ferrari for 2nd in the Constructor's championship though. I don't think Alonso's relationship with Honda will help him get that seat lol

Would be dope to see Hamilton and daniel Ricciardo together on Mercedes. That has a better and more realistic chance than Max on Mercedes.

I know it's highly unlikely, but it would still be cool to see Lewis vs Max in the same machinery.

Back
Top Bottom