FAKE NIKE ADS ON NIKETALK?

So you've opted to "pass" on answering those, is that correct?

Nothing about my responses to date indicates an APPROVAL of fake ads. Quite the contrary: we spend countless hours reporting these ads. We do our best to getthem removed from the rotation. Hey, if you have any valid alternatives to suggest I'm all ears.

We had to start running ads to keep the site from going under. That left us with a surplus. Every other major site in this entire sector takes that revenueand uses it for private gain. We, instead, donate it to charity - so it's not like we're making bank off counterfeits here. When ads for fakes popup, we report them. Taking that action on a consistent basis, in addition to everything else we've done to educate consumers and otherwise combat fakes,ought to suggest that we're not please with their appearance. We do what we can. We're not psychic. We can't anticipate ads appearing on oursite beforehand, meaning they have to RUN prior to their removal. We don't control the block list directly, so we can't have an ad blocked, say, onlabor day when people who actually receive compensation for their efforts happen to be out of the office.

Would I prefer perfect? Wouldn't we all. Unfortunately, we have to work within the confines of reality, so let's talk options. Given that we havebills to pay, how would you prefer we go about keeping this site online?

Again, do you want me to drop all the ad networks? Okay, that can be your opinion... but where's the money to run the site supposed to come from? Whereare our charitable donations supposed to come from?

You're just reiterating "fake ads are undesirable," as though we've in any way suggested otherwise. If I didn't care about the fakeads, I wouldn't report them. Let's flip that question. If you care about the fake ads so much, perhaps you'd like to help report them, too. I've explained how and, fortunately, it seems that a number of our fellow members have shown an interest in helping us out. The more reports the adnetworks receive, the more likely they are to act swiftly. We're all on the same side in that respect.

you always hide behide that silly shield helmet anyway i still tend to wonder if you ever even have any retros in the first place
I happen to value my privacy and I don't think I'm alone in that regard. As far as I know, you don't post your picture online, linkpeople to social networking profiles, etc. Shouldn't I have that same right? Is it so selfish of me to feel as though my business ought to remainmy business, that giving my time to the community doesn't require me to surrender myself in total for publicconsumption?

I may not be an active collector anymore, but I co-founded the place for a reason. Nelson C and I are both huge Michael Jordan fans. I'm an athlete. Ilove basketball. I love hip hop. Sneakers represent an intersection of all those interests.

I have more than my fair share of retros, though most of my shoes are OG. I bought my first pair of Jordans in 1990: the Air Jordan V in white/black/red. Idon't need a co-signer when it comes to credibility. True heads already know. People who've been on the site for years have seen me post in thesneaker forums and know what I'm about. They remember when I used to do the Jordan News posts long before the first sneaker blog sites ever started up. They remember that I was the one who broke the Air Jordan XV1 sketch. It was NikeTalk's first big exclusive and the first time the shoe was publiclyrevealed online. While I've never posted my collection and have no interest in doing so, in the past when pictures of upcoming shoes were few and farbetween I stepped up and posted pictures of samples, unreleased shoes, etc. They have some idea of what I'm holding but, frankly, that shouldn'tmatter. We don't ask our members to prove their worth by flaunting rare shoes. It doesn't prove anything. If you asked Bill Gates to assemble theworld's greatest sneaker collection in 2 months to win a bet, he could easily do so. He'd probably come here to buy out collections or hireconsultants. That wouldn't demonstrate anything other than his ability to waste money. It's about who you are, after all, not what you have. If Iwanted to point to something as proof that I care, I'd refer to the fact that I've been here almost every day from December 9th, 1999 forward - not tosome lifeless stacks of shoe boxes.

real talk method you shouldnt even have to say all that it should be a given how much you have put on for nike talk

and i know that and i have only been around a few years

i missed out on the wht/blk/red 5, i copped the wht/blk/purple pump
and when i popped the pump and returned them to the store, i had to settle for
the blk/red 6 in exchange, the 5 was gone forever or so i thought...
last reebok i ever had...

if i had the know how to run ads without wack fake ones, i'd be the mod
it aint my biz to handle

im done

i missed out on the wht/blk/red 5, i copped the wht/blk/purple pump
and when i popped the pump and returned them to the store, i had to settle for
the blk/red 6 in exchange, the 5 was gone forever or so i thought...
last reebok i ever had...

if i had the know how to run ads without wack fake ones, i'd be the mod
it aint my biz to handle

im done

indifferent.gif

I understand the "pump" idea in the ankle support, but Air Jordan and Reebok are two very different things. What are you talking about, fam?

Seriously, I'm genuinely curious how far along in school you are. Any knowledge of how advertising and basic business principles explains all of this andMeth is doing his best, and you're on here saying that he's trying to talk us into doing his work that heisn't even paid for? Damn, man. With over 1500 posts would it kill you to take 30 seconds to report one of them? You're clearly an active member of thecommunity. Stop trying to come up with some wack conspiracy theory.

internet_serious_business_framed.jpg

Hey Meth, I have a writing report in ACP US History due Friday, think you could give a fellow NTer some help?
nerd.gif

If not just write the whole thing,
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Man stop letting ya'll stupid geek !%* sneakerheadism cloud the fact that due to those ads NT has given almost $100,000 in charitable donations. Make animpact outside your stupid fanboyism.

Seems like the only solution is to find a new host. I appreciate everythin that the mods do for this site. And i realize that Niketalk has done a lot tohelp stop fakes. I have done legit checks on here years ago, that is why i am so surprised, and a little offended, that Niketalk would advertise fakes. Theyare advertising fakes to the same people they are try to educate no to buy fakes. That is an oxymoron, or just being a hypocrite. If you guys dont see theirony, then your blind.

Originally Posted by Jfly23

Seems like the only solution is to find a new host. I appreciate everythin that the mods do for this site. And i realize that Niketalk has done a lot to help stop fakes. I have done legit checks on here years ago, that is why i am so surprised, and a little offended, that Niketalk would advertise fakes. They are advertising fakes to the same people they are try to educate no to buy fakes. That is an oxymoron, or just being a hypocrite. If you guys dont see the irony, then your blind.
That's where you're wrong though.

Nike Talk does not have any choice of what ads go and are advertised here. They're google ads.

Since google sees that this is a sneaker forum, they put sneaker related ads, whether they're fake or real sneakers.

Not the decision of NT but the decision of google.

Meth, thanks for cofounding niketalk. I never knew this story about how this place was started. I like how you relate basketball, sneakers, and hip hop, theydo intersect. I dont think it matters how many retros you have, that was hilarious.

Seems like the only solution is to find a new host. I appreciate everythin that the mods do for this site. And i realize that Niketalk has done a lot to help stop fakes. I have done legit checks on here years ago, that is why i am so surprised, and a little offended, that Niketalk would advertise fakes. They are advertising fakes to the same people they are try to educate no to buy fakes. That is an oxymoron, or just being a hypocrite. If you guys dont see the irony, then your blind.

One thing that I dont get though is that you joined in 06'...
why are you just now bringing this up?

Originally Posted by Rafool

Nike Talk does not have any choice of what ads go and are advertised here. They're google ads.

Since google sees that this is a sneaker forum, they put sneaker related ads, whether they're fake or real sneakers.

They do have a choice. They can find a new server that doesnt do ads by google. There is always a choice. I completely understand that Niketalkdoesnt choose the specific ad, but they can chose to change server, or not use google ads. They could get ads from Flight Club, or Eastbay, or Nike, or anylegit companies that might want to advertise here. What is the point of advertising stuff on this website that no one on here is ever gonna buy. Seems like awaste of advertising money. If i was a fake shoe dealer, i wouldnt want to advertise on Niketalk, where everyone can spot a fake from a mile away. Thisscenario is getting stupider the more I think about it.

Originally Posted by THE FAME

I guess i never noticed at first. I meant to ask before, but i forgot my password and couldnt log in. I guess i havent been coming here all thetime lately. I used to come here and just go straight to the jordan section, or the southwest section. I never knew there was a general forum for like thefirst year or two i came here. Maybe when i joined , i didnt realize that the ads were fakes. I dont know.

Originally Posted by Rafool

They do have a choice. They can find a new server that doesnt do ads by google. There is always a choice. I completely understand that Niketalk doesnt choose the specific ad, but they can chose to change server, or not use google ads. They could get ads from Flight Club, or Eastbay, or Nike, or any legit companies that might want to advertise here. What is the point of advertising stuff on this website that no one on here is ever gonna buy. Seems like a waste of advertising money. If i was a fake shoe dealer, i wouldnt want to advertise on Niketalk, where everyone can spot a fake from a mile away. This scenario is getting stupider the more I think about it.
You have to be a kid, only in a kids mind would the world be so simple.

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Man stop letting ya'll stupid geek !%* sneakerheadism cloud the fact that due to those ads NT has given almost $100,000 in charitable donations. Make an impact outside your stupid fanboyism.

Thanks for the compliment. I think they could raise the same amount of money, if not more, advertising legit companies, not illegal ones.

Originally Posted by THE FAME

I guess i never noticed at first. I meant to ask before, but i forgot my password and couldnt log in. I guess i havent been coming here all the time lately. I used to come here and just go straight to the jordan section, or the southwest section. I never knew there was a general forum for like the first year or two i came here. Maybe when i joined , i didnt realize that the ads were fakes. I dont know.

What exactly do you want out of all this?
How do you suggest the NT mods take care of this without subscription charges
or removal of certain features?

Originally Posted by Method Man

I have more than my fair share of retros, though most of my shoes are OG. I bought my first pair of Jordans in 1990: the Air Jordan V in white/black/red. I don't need a co-signer when it comes to credibility. True heads already know. People who've been on the site for years have seen me post in the sneaker forums and know what I'm about. They remember when I used to do the Jordan News posts long before the first sneaker blog sites ever started up. They remember that I was the one who broke the Air Jordan XV1 sketch. It was NikeTalk's first big exclusive and the first time the shoe was publicly revealed online. While I've never posted my collection and have no interest in doing so, in the past when pictures of upcoming shoes were few and far between I stepped up and posted pictures of samples, unreleased shoes, etc. They have some idea of what I'm holding but, frankly, that shouldn't matter. We don't ask our members to prove their worth by flaunting rare shoes. It doesn't prove anything. If you asked Bill Gates to assemble the world's greatest sneaker collection in 2 months to win a bet, he could easily do so. He'd probably come here to buy out collections or hire consultants. That wouldn't demonstrate anything other than his ability to waste money. It's about who you are, after all, not what you have. If I wanted to point to something as proof that I care, I'd refer to the fact that I've been here almost every day from December 9th, 1999 forward - not to some lifeless stacks of shoe boxes.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This thread is too much. It goes from dude complaining about ads. Everyone clowin on dude. To dude making fun of someone. To dude apologizing to that someone.To Meth breakin it down. To OP acting all nice all of a sudden. I love NT.

They do have a choice. They can find a new server that doesnt do ads by google. There is always a choice. I completely understand that Niketalk doesnt choose the specific ad, but they can chose to change server, or not use google ads. They could get ads from Flight Club, or Eastbay, or Nike, or any legit companies that might want to advertise here.

Here's the problem:

We're trying to get set up to accept individually arranged ads, but that only covers so much of our inventory. Let's say you're an indy apparelcompany and you'd like to publish an ad through NikeTalk. I can offer you an ad on our front page for $X for 1 month. If you can't afford that oryou'd like to target a specific forum, I can arrange an ad campaign to appear on that particular forum. What happens, though, if nobody wants to buy an adfor our midwest regional forum? There are currently two ad units in every single page of every single thread on NT. How do we fill that space?

If I put the same ad that runs on the front page of the Nike forum inside every single page of every single thread in the Nike forum, it risks burning out. It's redundant. We want to give them the best value we can and we, in turn, want to generate the best value we can out of each ad unit so we can optimizeour charitable donations.

We have tens of thousands of pages to fill and with no way to possibly fill that space via individually negotiated ad deals, we have to rely on one or moreautomated ad networks.

If I don't fill that space, we're essentially incurring a financial loss every single time that page is viewed. Is that acceptable? The ad network isresponsible for providing the content. We'll choose the best networks we can and continue to work with the ad networks to eliminate fake ads as theyappear, but if there's no perfect network out there, does that mean we have to abandon advertising entirely and accept lost revenue in order to protectNIKE'S bottom line?

What is the point of advertising stuff on this website that no one on here is ever gonna buy. Seems like a waste of advertising money. If i was a fake shoe dealer, i wouldnt want to advertise on Niketalk, where everyone can spot a fake from a mile away. This scenario is getting stupider the more I think about it.
That should prove to you that we're not the ones arranging these ads. The counterfeit sellers purchase ads through the ad networks. Thoseads will run on websites that fall into selected categories or as generated contextually via keywords appearing on the webpage itself. If your site containskeywords like "Air Jordan Retro" etc. odds are it'll display the exact same ads you're objecting to. It's not at all specific to oursite.

NT and it's members do not support fake. But here is a list of things NT DOES support.

http://niketalk.yuku.com/...d-Dogfighting-Campa.html
Exactly.

NT is a community first and foremost, but it's also a social business. We evaluate our success in part based on the amount of money we're able todrive to important social and environmental causes.
There is a certain Robin Hood aspect to our advertising. We don't seek out or in any way support counterfeiters, but at least their brief and unwantedappearances on our site helps us put that money to better use.

Realistically, our short term goals re: advertising are as follows:

1) Optimize ad revenues using minimally intrusive ad units (no sound, no popups, limited number of units) by allowing individually arranged, NikeTalk specificad campaigns from trusted, reputable sponsors
2) Continue to work with our users and our ad networks to minimize the appearance of inappropriate ads in our lower yield advertising

To whatever extent we're able to succeed with goal 1, we're able to reduce the instances in which ad network generated ads even appear on our site. User cooperation in reporting ads can further drive down occurrences, all while increasing, rather than reducing, our charitable donations.

If we accept that yanking those units entirely isn't a realistic or responsible option for us, the rest falls into place. If, on the other hand, peopletake what I consider to be an unreasonably hard lined stance in that they expect us to safeguard Nike's profit margins at our own expense and refrain fromengaging in a legal partnership with Google AdSense and similar networks, then we're simply at a disagreement. I think the primary responsibility forthese ads lies 1) with the ad networks who arrange them and 2) with Nike, since they're the ones whose copyrights are being violated. Goodness knowswe've donated enough to helping combat fakes, long before Nike ever began to take the problem seriously. I don't think we should be forced tosacrifice charitable donations due to Nike and Google's combined ineffectiveness. These ad units are generally reliable and have helped us raise tens ofthousands of dollars for charity to date. If we were using the extra to buy Rifts and capri pants for Dirtylicious I'd agree that we could live withoutthem - but tell that to the kids in Kenya who might not otherwise have a school to go to. Cutting the units entirely is the easiest and laziest way for us towash our hands of the situation entirely. Instead, we're facing up to it and trying to do the best we can to get these ads off the network - which servesmillions of websites besides ours - while striving to give back as much as we can.

Originally Posted by dland24

This thread is too much. It goes from dude complaining about ads. Everyone clowin on dude. To dude making fun of someone. To dude apologizing to that someone. To Meth breakin it down. To OP acting all nice all of a sudden. I love NT.

i couldnt agree more. i should be sleeping right now but im reading method mans deep, intriguing stuff.

Originally Posted by dland24

This thread is too much. It goes from dude complaining about ads. Everyone clowin on dude. To dude making fun of someone. To dude apologizing to that someone. To Meth breakin it down. To OP acting all nice all of a sudden. I love NT.

basically. For anyone that doesn't want to read the whole 8 pages, just read this right here, It sums up the whole thread.

If we were using the extra to buy Rifts and capri pants for Dirtylicious I'd agree that we could live without them - but tell that to the kids in Kenya who might not otherwise have a school to go to.

laugh.gif

In all seriousness, I've never been on a forum that actually takes money from their operating cost to donate to countless charities around the world,through a member's voting system. NT doesn't just talk the talk, but walks the walk. How can you not see this? And be mad over an ad that we have nocontrol over? I guess Meth gave the solution, report it if you hate fake Nike ads on NT that much, seems pretty simple to me.

Meth you ain't even have to explain yourself like that. Before you stated it, it was obvious that dude had an agenda from the jump with his salty @@%.

They do have a choice. They can find a new server that doesnt do ads by google. There is always a choice. I completely understand that Niketalk doesnt choose the specific ad, but they can chose to change server, or not use google ads. They could get ads from Flight Club, or Eastbay, or Nike, or any legit companies that might want to advertise here. What is the point of advertising stuff on this website that no one on here is ever gonna buy. Seems like a waste of advertising money. If i was a fake shoe dealer, i wouldnt want to advertise on Niketalk, where everyone can spot a fake from a mile away. This scenario is getting stupider the more I think about it.
This guy's talking like he knows how it works. @%%% outta here.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FromThaTown

If we were using the extra to buy Rifts and capri pants for Dirtylicious I'd agree that we could live without them - but tell that to the kids in Kenya who might not otherwise have a school to go to.
laugh.gif

In all seriousness, I've never been on a forum that actually takes money from their operating cost to donate to countless charities around the world, through a member's voting system. NT doesn't just talk the talk, but walks the walk. How can you not see this? And be mad over an ad that we have no control over? I guess Meth gave the solution, report it if you hate fake Nike ads on NT that much, seems pretty simple to me.

Dude is just being ignorant, his motive is relatively clear.

Back
Top Bottom