Family Trip to Disney in July need advise recommendations

As the title states I will be traveling to Disney Orlando with family from 7/25-7/30/13. Flight and hotel accomodations have been booked already. Right now I'm getting things in order for the car rental. Been looking at reviews and for the most part it seems like a gamble with all the companies. THis is my first time renting a car so if any of you guys have experience with the local rental companies at Orlando Int'l Airport, or any rental company I would appreciate any feedback or advice you might have.

Also, for those of you who have been to Disney what tips do you have for an eventful trip. Things to avoid, places to go in the area. Scams to avoid etc. From looking at some car rental reviews it seems like the Sunpass toll card is a scam. Apparently they charge you like $50 for the card, but you end up paying less than half of that in cash. One person wrote that they were told to get it to avoid tickets because there is a chance nobody would be in the toll booth. WTH? It sounds crazy but for a tourist you don't know what goes on.

Another thing I read was the car rental company requires you to get gas within 10miles of the office and to show proof of where you got it from. They say its a scam because all the stations close by charge twice as much/gallon than others due to the tourist location.

Anyone have experience with pricelines name your price? How solid is it and are you guaranteed the price you ask for? I just tried and got as far as the credit card info, so I don't know if was a guarantee or not. It shows what my total would be but nothing difinitive.

Thanks for any help guys.

Last edited:
As the title states I will be traveling to Disney Orlando with family from 7/25-7/30/13. Flight and hotel accomodations have been booked already. Right now I'm getting things in order for the car rental. Been looking at reviews and for the most part it seems like a gamble with all the companies. THis is my first time renting a car so if any of you guys have experience with the local rental companies at Orlando Int'l Airport, or any rental company I would appreciate any feedback or advice you might have.

Also, for those of you who have been to Disney what tips do you have for an eventful trip. Things to avoid, places to go in the area. Scams to avoid etc. From looking at some car rental reviews it seems like the Sunpass toll card is a scam. Apparently they charge you like $50 for the card, but you end up paying less than half of that in cash. One person wrote that they were told to get it to avoid tickets because there is a chance nobody would be in the toll booth. WTH? It sounds crazy but for a tourist you don't know what goes on.

Another thing I read was the car rental company requires you to get gas within 10miles of the office and to show proof of where you got it from. They say its a scam because all the stations close by charge twice as much/gallon than others due to the tourist location.

Anyone have experience with pricelines name your price? How solid is it and are you guaranteed the price you ask for? I just tried and got as far as the credit card info, so I don't know if was a guarantee or not. It shows what my total would be but nothing difinitive.

Thanks for any help guys.
i dont know anything about that. im curious as well though i plan to take the fam to disneyworld next year.
when i took them to disneyland for 4 days last year i paid around $1,400 for tickets rental and hotel. If i may ask how much is ur disneyworld trip. im a fam of 4

i dont know anything about that. im curious as well though i plan to take the fam to disneyworld next year.
when i took them to disneyland for 4 days last year i paid around $1,400 for tickets rental and hotel. If i may ask how much is ur disneyworld trip. im a fam of 4

Pmd

went to disney land a couple weeks ago. felt like i paid $100 to stand in line most the day...:smh:

went to disney land a couple weeks ago. felt like i paid $100 to stand in line most the day...
mean.gif
Reason why I always go to Knotts Berry Farm whenever I'm in Cali. So much more fun than Disneyland. 

If you really serious about skipping lines, pretend someone in the family has some leg injury. Bring crutches for one of the family members to use. Did it every time I was at Disney, no lines evvvaaaa

That is...if you can handle...THE GUILT!!!

Have fun in that FL heat in July.  
laugh.gif

Honestly, Disney is such a money grab.  I get why adults go (for the kids) and I'm probably gonna have to do it in the next year or so myself.  But I'm not happy about it.  Basically you pay mad $$ to wait in line and eat.  

Anything for the kids though.  
mean.gif
laugh.gif

Back on topic though, I always use Alamo for cars.  They're cheap, have decent cars and I've never had any issues with them.  They also usually have coupons floating around.  

i just came back from there last week we had a blast. we got a 2 day park hopper and we were able to see all 4 parks... imo the only good ones are magic kingdom and animal kingdom.. epcot and disney studios are ok too but you go through it really fast

Have fun in that FL heat in July.  :lol:

Honestly, Disney is such a money grab.  I get why adults go (for the kids) and I'm probably gonna have to do it in the next year or so myself.  But I'm not happy about it.  Basically you pay mad $$ to wait in line and eat.  

Anything for the kids though.  :smh: :lol:

Back on topic though, I always use Alamo for cars.  They're cheap, have decent cars and I've never had any issues with them.  They also usually have coupons floating around.  
idk man i had hella fun when i took the fam to disneyland last year we tooks pics and got autographs with everybody went to goofys kitchen rode every ride and saw all the shows. That fantasmic and world of color shows were the ****. im planning to go without the kids for me and my girls anniversary :lol:

i just came back from there last week we had a blast. we got a 2 day park hopper and we were able to see all 4 parks... imo the only good ones are magic kingdom and animal kingdom.. epcot and disney studios are ok too but you go through it really fast
i heard u gotta be there a week to TRULY experience everything at disneyworld

Have fun in that FL heat in July.  
laugh.gif

Anything for the kids though.  
mean.gif
laugh.gif

idk man i had hella fun when i took the fam to disneyland last year we tooks pics and got autographs with everybody went to goofys kitchen rode every ride and saw all the shows. That fantasmic and world of color shows were the ****. im planning to go without the kids for me and my girls anniversary
laugh.gif
I guess I'm just becoming an old, grumpy man.  
laugh.gif

Like I used to love amusement parks like Disney, Six Flags and all that.  But I just don't have the patience anymore to wait in lines in the heat.  The atmosphere at Disney is dope though.  And seeing your kids happy is always a great thing, so I guess those are some big positives.  

Have fun in that FL heat in July.  :lol:

Anything for the kids though.  :smh: :lol:

idk man i had hella fun when i took the fam to disneyland last year we tooks pics and got autographs with everybody went to goofys kitchen rode every ride and saw all the shows. That fantasmic and world of color shows were the ****. im planning to go without the kids for me and my girls anniversary :lol:

I guess I'm just becoming an old, grumpy man.  :lol:   

Like I used to love amusement parks like Disney, Six Flags and all that.  But I just don't have the patience anymore to wait in lines in the heat.  The atmosphere at Disney is dope though.  And seeing your kids happy is always a great thing, so I guess those are some big positives.  
naw i get the heat part that **** sucks specially at six flags magic mountain lines are hella long and outside disneylands are at least inside a majority of em at least and are cooler inside than out. im headed to magic mountain this weekend try ride that new one they just opened last week :pimp:

I live 5 mins away from the airport... best choice for car rentals for locals is Payless Car Rentals (only thing is u have to take a shuttle bus to it since its not in the airport property)... enterprise isn't bad either.. as far as the Sun pass stuff it is true some tolls don't have people so u will need change but don't buy the rental places sunpass unless its a great deal... cuz u can literally go to Amscot down the road and buy a disposable sticker Sun pass for $5 and then load up as much money as u want on it (however much u need).... the 2 closest gas stations to the airport r EXPENSIVE!! like $6 a gallon... avoid those 2 joints and just drive about a half mile more up and u will come across a 7-11 and a racetrack gas station... racetrack is cheaper.... idk how true it is that u gotta get gas within 10 miles of the airport but if it's true the racetrack and 7-11 is definitely within the that area... its probably only 2 Miles away.... btw this is all on senoran Blvd... just to warn u tho disney is EXPENSIVE and lines r long... if u have more questions let me no

I go to Disney every year in August. It's hot but it's also not a very busy time because most kids down south are back in school, so it's not as busy as say when you're going. I always rent through Alamo. They have never given me any problems, they basically tell you go out to the lot, pick out your car and see you when you return it. Any car rental agency is going to try to have you buy the gas in advance so you can return it empty and they say it's the best deal. In my opinion it's not and I never do it. As for the Sunpass, I don't do that either. The tolls sometimes aren't occupied and I do believe you drive through two different toll booths just trying to get back to the airport to return home and they are never occupied, you have to have exact change. It's really not a big deal just make sure to have a few dollars in change, don't waste your time with the Sunpass.

As far as lines, I don't know if you are staying onsite or off. But if you are staying at a Disney hotel, you get to park free and you can do the fast pass, which is basically little to no wait in line. You also get the extended hours, either get to go in certain parks early before the general public or stay later at certain parks.

Disney offers different types of tickets, basic, park hopper, water park and more. I usually get a five day water park and more pass as we go for two weeks and it gives us something to do almost everyday. They have two really nice waterparks and miniature golf courses. Also, the waterpark and more option gets you into the four level arcade for the kids at Downtown Disney. I don't know how old your kids are but I have a ten year old son, he could live at the arcade, LOL, so that's just the better option for us. If you haven't been to Downton Disney, it's expensive but also, you could just hang out there for a whole day. There are street performers, a movie theater, different shops and food.

I'm sorry, LOL, I went on and on. I won't write anymore as this is long enough. Hope it was helpful.

Back
Top Bottom