Family wants answers in Florida teen's death after Tasering

Cmon, kid was tagging not selling drugs. Yall in here talking about "that life". Cmon b, not even a taser is acceptable for that. Lazy *** cops like to turn off their brain instead of thinking with the responsibility given to them.

Glad someone has common sense in here.

Cmon, kid was tagging not selling drugs. Yall in here talking about "that life". Cmon b, not even a taser is acceptable for that. Lazy *** cops like to turn off their brain instead of thinking with the responsibility given to them.

if you resist arrest...the officer has to resort to overwhelming force to place you under arrest.... period... doesn't matter what the charge is...

it's not like... "oh he won't let us arrest him... let's let him go"

if you resist arrest...the officer has to resort to overwhelming force to place you under arrest.... period... doesn't matter what the charge is...

This is lazy law enforcement. Point blank. One size fits all rules like that are for the weak. You shouldn't be a cop if you can't distinguish the severity.

RIP to the kid
tired.gif
.  If there was more than one cop then there's no reason they shouldn't have been able to take the kid down
mean.gif

Tasers are an acute force weapon meant to disable a resisting offender. This guy was caught breaking the law, and resisted arrest. He ran, got cornered, then disabled by the taser. Which is a pretty standard thing. The offender's body could not handle it, and unfortunately, he died. Regardless of his passing, he broke the law and e police officer was only doing his job.

This is lazy law enforcement. Point blank. One size fits all rules like that are for the weak. You shouldn't be a cop if you can't distinguish the severity.

He resisted arrest...they used overwhelming force to bring him under arrest, he was frail and died...

The fault lies in the tagger not the officers, nothing they did appears excessive at this point.

So many situations could be avoided if people just collected their L's.

Yeah, he got caught doing something illegal. Should've just took responsibility for his actions and accepted whatever charge/fine they would've gave him. Instead he ran and resisted arrest. Dumb teenagers will act dumb.

No one even mentioned "that life" except you. He didn't do anything major but tagging/graffiti is still illegal. You do the crime then you do the time. Like he said, you got caught so just take the L and move on. No one ever wants to take responsibility for what they do. If he did then he'd be back home already getting yelled at by his parents.

The officers reaction didn't fit the situation at hand. Plain and simple.

I'd be more inclined to give the cops the benifit of the doubt if they haven't had the track record they've had recently and this isn't a regional thing. There's been police abuses in all parts of the country. If they were isolated incidents far and inbetween I could see but when they happen on a regular basis it shows that lazy and abusive policing is more common than people think.

The kid deserved to get arrested for tagging and resisting arrest. He deserved to pay restitution for the building vandalized. No ones disputing that. Tazing an unarmed kid because rather then calling backup to catch him is rediculous no matter how you cut it.

What would you say they should have done? People always say things like that "he was only tagging, not selling drugs" or w/e when that has virtually nothing to do with it at all. A taser is a way to take down a non compliant person. Period. There's no disclaimer that goes along with it "only use on people committing certain crimes". The crime originally being committed does not matter once you resist; the kid was tased for his resisting, not the tagging. Once he ignored their commands and ran, he displayed that he was non compliant and did not intend on being taken into custody. Once he was cornered, its easy to say "well they should have just taken him down" but people are going to complain about that also. Any time officers go hands on and take someone down forcibly, there will be plenty of people yelling "excessive force", "they dont have to do all that", etc. What if they did rush the kid and in taking him down, busted his mouth or something on the ground. Happens a lot. As soon as people see blood, they'll be jumping up and down yelling about brutality. And what what would your reaction be if he continues to struggle and the officers use their batons on him, or tase him at that point. People really lose it when they see those batons being used or see a person being tased when they are on the ground, even if they are still resisting. Plus theres the consideration the officers have to take of their own safety. A taser allows them to take someone down while maintaing some distance from the subject. They didn't know if he had a weapon on him. Or he could possibly use something around him as a weapon, a brick or something. He's already shown an unwillingness to be taken in so they have to assume he will continue to resist until he starts to actually comply with their commands. Anytime an officer goes hands on or gets into a fight, by default a deadly weapon is always going to be involved, and the risk of someone going for their gun and possibly taking it and using it is always at the front of their minds. The point is the taser allows them to somewhat keep their distance and protect themselves while still taking the guy down. So aside from rushing him and taking him down, or using their taser, what other method would you suggest to take down this non compliant individual that wouldnt have been so "lazy"? Use their guns? Sic a dog on him? Call a negotiator to talk him down? Just wait and see if he decides to comply? Walk away and say "never mind, you're good"? For the record I think his death is a terrible tragedy and I hate that that was the result, but based on my admittedly limited knowledge of the situation based solely on this article, as well as my experience, I fail to see what the officers did wrong here.

So many situations could be avoided if people just collected their L's.

Yeah, he got caught doing something illegal. Should've just took responsibility for his actions and accepted whatever charge/fine they would've gave him. Instead he ran and resisted arrest. Dumb teenagers will act dumb.

No one even mentioned "that life" except you. He didn't do anything major but tagging/graffiti is still illegal. You do the crime then you do the time. Like he said, you got caught so just take the L and move on. No one ever wants to take responsibility for what they do. If he did then he'd be back home already getting yelled at by his parents.

The story sounds so bias. Not to sound insensitive but dude was a tagger. He got caught tagging, dude try to run away so he got the taze. It's sad to see a young cat go but if you wanna be about that life, that's life.

Ya'll take life with such a laissez faire attitude. "Oh well, he shouldn't have been..." I understand everything involved, and that most will not die from a taser. But taser shouldn't have been an option for that. Both my parents were police officers, I have a first hand view on getting results out of thinking and treating humans like humans.

If the officers had just tackled him and the scrawny kid broke his arm in the scrum, people would still be upset over "excessive" force. It's a no-win situation for cops when someone resists arrest, because whatever force they use will always be criticized to a certain degree. So, how do we avoid these things? Well, how about not commit crimes and do what the cop tells you the first time. It's called respecting authority, which a lot of today's youth are incapable of doing, apparently. And there are consequences that come with disrespecting authority. Consequences that are never learned (for various reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum).

Yes, it is sad that a kid died. But, it is ultimately an unfortunate consequence of his inability to respond to and respect authority.

The kid deserved to get arrested for tagging and resisting arrest. He deserved to pay restitution for the building vandalized. No ones disputing that. Tazing an unarmed kid because rather then calling backup to catch him is rediculous no matter how you cut it.

I don't believe that tazering a suspect who is actively resisting arrest is excessive. I believe that is one of the prime situations the tazer was developed for.

Last edited:
Tasing a kid for tagging :smh: I'd understand if they felt they were in danger but it doesn't really sound like it. If the friend is telling the truth about them high fiving each other afterwards that makes it even worse.

I normally take the side of the victim but this looks like a freak accident where the kid died from the taser. Almost like the fact that you can die from being punched. They should conduct an investigation to see if there were any contributing factors such as the kid's health or the taser settings or even negligence on the cops.

It's a tragedy but using a taser for someone resisting arrest is a pretty standard procedure.

Tasing a kid for tagging :smh: I'd understand if they felt they were in danger but it doesn't really sound like it. If the friend is telling the truth about them high fiving each other afterwards that makes it even worse.

When cops feel they are in danger, they use guns. If they are not in danger, what are they supposed to use, harsh language?

Tasering the kid seems excessive unless he showed signs of aggression towards the cops.

Tagging is simply vandalism/destruction of property. Should someone skateboarding in an unauthorized area be tasered for evading police after he is found out? I don't think so.

Tasers should be reserved for suspects who are a physical threat. Running away does not seems threatening in my opinion.

Maybe there's more to the story. Did he have a history with police? Was he reaching for his pockets?

Back
Top Bottom