Famous Hacker Calls Windows More Secure than Mac Vol. LoL

Originally Posted by Jack Daniels

laugh.gif
at everybody preaching in the "your time will come" .."stop being oblivious" tone...

well when that time does come, I'm sure Apple will adjust.

Exactly

NT Software Analyzers out here making predictions. Bottom line as of right NOW you can buy a Mac and not have Ad-Aware running in the background
laugh.gif

Once people start attacking Mac, I am sure Steve and the boys will handle the situation. And even if they didn't, there is plenty of 3rd party software people can use. My girl has never had anything other than a Mac and and she has yet to receive a virus.

-The Juice

I've had PC's for years and I've never really had a serious problem with Viruses. Unless you're an idiot, it should not really be an issue.

Right now I run both Windows 7 Ultimate and MAC OS X 10.62 Snow Leopard on a Dell XPS M1330. I run a wide assortment of programs but I've noticed there's a different between what I do on Snow Leopard and what I do on Windows. I'm a trader so I use a lot of trading/investing software. Most of which are only available on Windows (although a couple different companies are now providing their software for Macs). Because of this, I have MS Office and all my business related stuff on Windows. On the SL partition of my HD, I have my music for iTunes and Adobe Creative Suite MC. I installed SL in order to have XCode and I use that as well. Other than iTunes, Adobe CS, and Xcode, I only really web browse and listen to music on my Mac.

My computer is an example that seems to support everyone elses argument. I have nothing of real value on my Mac partition. Anyone who hacked it would gain nothing. However on the other hand, if someone were to get into my Windows partition, they'd have access to information that could be very profitable to them. I think hackers know that and target PC's for a reason. Worldwide, Mac's only account for 5.11% percent of computers (Windows hold 92.21%). Businesses and many individuals that store important financial information on their computers, run Windows. I've never been on a trading floor or visited an office that ran Macs (other than a company that did web design but that's not going to be profitable to hack anyway).

Cliffnotes: There's no money in targeting Macs because they only account for 5% of the computers worldwide and are usually used by individuals who don't hold sensitive information on their computers. The 92% of computers that are Windows based hold most of the sensitive information that make hacking profitable.

PC > MAC if you're using your computer for business purposes

MAC > PC if you're just looking to browse the web, listen to music and videochat

Spoiler [+]
Also Apple Fanboys are pathetic. You're obsessed about a company that only does so well because it keeps robbing you. They purposely leave out features from their products so the newer version of their product can have it (ex. iPhones could have had 3g, video recording and multitasking from the jump but leaving it out means every summer, Apple can put a new one out and you all will buy it). I can understand if you like the product but the company isn't doing you any favors. Stop acting like Steve Jobs cares about you, he only cares about your wallet.

The whole Mac having no market share for hackers to care about is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yeah, they have less market share, but I know for a fact hackers are cocky nerds who want to get their name out there. Now if you're telling me that Apple's huge ad campaign circling around the idea that "Look at us, we can't be hacked" isn't temping for a hacker to debunk then you're out of your mind. It's like if I was a hacker, and some punk company kept running these commercials about it's unhackableness, I'd hack this %$+$ outta them if I could just to throw it in their faces. Plus you don't think whoever dispels the whole safety aura of a Mac wouldn't get huge recognition? If hackers could create viruses for the OSX platform, they would've done it by now just to rub it in Apple's face to not advertise something that isn't true. Believe that.

Originally Posted by sauuceking

The whole Mac having no market share for hackers to care about is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yeah, they have less market share, but I know for a fact hackers are cocky nerds who want to get their name out there. Now if you're telling me that Apple's huge ad campaign circling around the idea that "Look at us, we can't be hacked" isn't temping for a hacker to debunk then you're out of your mind. It's like if I was a hacker, and some punk company kept running these commercials about it's unhackableness, I'd hack this %$+$ outta them if I could just to throw it in their faces. Plus you don't think whoever dispels the whole safety aura of a Mac wouldn't get huge recognition? If hackers could create viruses for the OSX platform, they would've done it by now just to rub it in Apple's face to not advertise something that isn't true. Believe that.
u talk as if creating a virus is easy. no one is going to waste their time hacking into a mac just to find some facebook pictures and indy rock itunes folder. In hacking competitions, OS X has been the easiest to hack out of windows and linux and os x

I've been a PC user and a Mac user. I'm not a fanboy, but until pr0n sites start having auto-installing .dmg files that mess up my memory and gives me weird pop ups, I'll stick with the Mac. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

I've had PC's for years and I've never really had a serious problem with Viruses. Unless you're an idiot, it should not really be an issue.

Right now I run both Windows 7 Ultimate and MAC OS X 10.62 Snow Leopard on a Dell XPS M1330. I run a wide assortment of programs but I've noticed there's a different between what I do on Snow Leopard and what I do on Windows. I'm a trader so I use a lot of trading/investing software. Most of which are only available on Windows (although a couple different companies are now providing their software for Macs). Because of this, I have MS Office and all my business related stuff on Windows. On the SL partition of my HD, I have my music for iTunes and Adobe Creative Suite MC. I installed SL in order to have XCode and I use that as well. Other than iTunes, Adobe CS, and Xcode, I only really web browse and listen to music on my Mac.

My computer is an example that seems to support everyone elses argument. I have nothing of real value on my Mac partition. Anyone who hacked it would gain nothing. However on the other hand, if someone were to get into my Windows partition, they'd have access to information that could be very profitable to them. I think hackers know that and target PC's for a reason. Worldwide, Mac's only account for 5.11% percent of computers (Windows hold 92.21%). Businesses and many individuals that store important financial information on their computers, run Windows. I've never been on a trading floor or visited an office that ran Macs (other than a company that did web design but that's not going to be profitable to hack anyway).

Cliffnotes: There's no money in targeting Macs because they only account for 5% of the computers worldwide and are usually used by individuals who don't hold sensitive information on their computers. The 92% of computers that are Windows based hold most of the sensitive information that make hacking profitable.

PC > MAC if you're using your computer for business purposes

MAC > PC if you're just looking to browse the web, listen to music and videochat

Spoiler [+]
Also Apple Fanboys are pathetic. You're obsessed about a company that only does so well because it keeps robbing you. They purposely leave out features from their products so the newer version of their product can have it (ex. iPhones could have had 3g, video recording and multitasking from the jump but leaving it out means every summer, Apple can put a new one out and you all will buy it). I can understand if you like the product but the company isn't doing you any favors. Stop acting like Steve Jobs cares about you, he only cares about your wallet.
i applaud u
and PC > MAC for everything
even if you are just browsing the internet listen to music ect, you should not be spending 2gs for an over powered machine that you will never use in its full capacity. The only reason why apple fanboys say macs are fast is because all macs are buffed with specs and still being over priced at the same time.

using the virus arguement is so 5 years ago. Another reason why OS X gets less viruses than pc is because os x is a 64 bit operating system. 64 bit operating systems are harder to make viruses for. Those who adapted windows 64 bit will less likely not get a virus. If you are still using XP and 32 bit in this time and age that is your problem.

I've been a PC user and a Mac user. I'm not a fanboy, but until pr0n sites start having auto-installing .dmg files that mess up my memory and gives me weird pop ups, I'll stick with the Mac. 
eyes.gif
^maybe you should just be smarter about using teh intrawebs, and stop blaming your shortcomings on a platform.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Mac's > PC's.

laugh.gif

marketshare says otherwise.
yes because marketshare tells us what the best
laugh.gif
KFC must have the best chicken in the world
indifferent.gif

i think its funny that most of the people that have Mac also have or have had PCs and will never go back to PC, people that use PCs just hate on Macs even thow they have never had one.

I have a pc and had a virus with my pc almost every year and 90% of time I can get off myself. I want a imac though.

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

Originally Posted by WearinTheFourFive

I've had Macs for 10 years, 0 viruses. /Thread.

yep 4 years for me 0 viruses

ill stay with the small market share
pimp.gif

When I bought my laptop, I got it with way better specs than the comparable macbook. I also got a 5 year full warranty (including accidental protection and onsite repair) that doesn't expire till 2012. I could put my laptop on the floor right now and stomp on it, and Dell will send someone to my crib this week to replace everything that's damaged. As time passes, they upgrade everything they replace just because they stop selling the outdated stuff. I have a better processor, hard drive, webcam, etc. than when I first got it because of this. I even have lojack on it so if someone steals it, it can be tracked.

I paid $1200, below what I would've paid for a top of the line Macbook (which had worse specs than what I got). I have Mac OS X on it as well so it wasn't even worth getting the Apple laptop for the Mac OS X.

To me, there's no reason to buy a computer from Apple unless you don't know anything about computers.

The whole Mac having no market share for hackers to care about is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yeah, they have less market share, but I know for a fact hackers are cocky nerds who want to get their name out there. Now if you're telling me that Apple's huge ad campaign circling around the idea that "Look at us, we can't be hacked" isn't temping for a hacker to debunk then you're out of your mind. It's like if I was a hacker, and some punk company kept running these commercials about it's unhackableness, I'd hack this %!%+ outta them if I could just to throw it in their faces. Plus you don't think whoever dispels the whole safety aura of a Mac wouldn't get huge recognition? If hackers could create viruses for the OSX platform, they would've done it by now just to rub it in Apple's face to not advertise something that isn't true. Believe that.

but I know for a fact hackers are cocky nerds who want to get their name out there.

yeah, 90% market share vs under 10% market share.

yeah, they are really going to waste their time on a mac to "get their name out"

with a pc you can get hdmi ,bluray and wireless network with more GB than a imac. But apple design are super nice but if you pay 1600 for a imac without bluray and hdmi its kinda sad.

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

Apple will have its time. The hackers don't need to do anything special to "hack" a Mac. Apple will do something ******ed on its own that will be something along the lines of indirectly greeting all sorts of crooks into its computers.

It's funny how people think Apple is the greatest computer system. "they're so innovative," one may say. Alas, removing the shopping cart in iTunes so that you'll keep buying and buying Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon until you pass out; genius! Bigger is better right? Behold, the iPad! No multi-tasking, but who gives a *!$%!? It's $600 and everyone wants it!

Apple will probably concoct another one of their bad-boy ideas that will rail home the truth to you bum-heads who think owning a white polycarbonate-enclosed computer will save you from hackers. It will be so ridiculously ******ed that at first people will think, "Ah this is great!" but are getting butt +!!*#! in the process. Then when the SHTF, you will all realize you got punk'd. By Steve Jobs.

calm down sis.. its really not that serious. 
grin.gif
laugh.gif
i swear dude's about to cry

the trend of NTers hatin on other dude's fashion has shifted to what laptop theyve got now...what another person owns has zero effect on you, yall dudes get your panties in a bunch on the most trivial things
indifferent.gif

i've had both macs and pcs and i must say that macs are doing it right in terms of creating a stable, secure and reliable machine based on my needs as a college student

pcs are fine at first, but they seem to have a trend of slowing down as months pass, at least from my experiences with vaios, hps and dells.

it seems as if a number of yall are just hatin because YOU are the ones that have never really owned a mac, stop running your mouth with biased information when you have no experience with both sides of the competition/argument

sure, macs don't have extremely high security precautions because it's based on a need basis, and when the problems become prevalent, of course they're going to adjust...it's common sense people
laugh.gif

dudes on here salty because they didnt win their MBP on facebook, sad.

Originally Posted by kien

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

Apple will have its time. The hackers don't need to do anything special to "hack" a Mac. Apple will do something ******ed on its own that will be something along the lines of indirectly greeting all sorts of crooks into its computers.

It's funny how people think Apple is the greatest computer system. "they're so innovative," one may say. Alas, removing the shopping cart in iTunes so that you'll keep buying and buying Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon until you pass out; genius! Bigger is better right? Behold, the iPad! No multi-tasking, but who gives a *!$%!? It's $600 and everyone wants it!

Apple will probably concoct another one of their bad-boy ideas that will rail home the truth to you bum-heads who think owning a white polycarbonate-enclosed computer will save you from hackers. It will be so ridiculously ******ed that at first people will think, "Ah this is great!" but are getting butt +!!*#! in the process. Then when the SHTF, you will all realize you got punk'd. By Steve Jobs.

calm down sis.. its really not that serious. 
grin.gif
laugh.gif
i swear dude's about to cry

the trend of NTers hatin on other dude's fashion has shifted to what laptop theyve got now...what another person owns has zero effect on you, yall dudes get your panties in a bunch on the most trivial things
indifferent.gif

i've had both macs and pcs and i must say that macs are doing it right in terms of creating a stable, secure and reliable machine based on my needs as a college student

pcs are fine at first, but they seem to have a trend of slowing down as months pass, at least from my experiences with vaios, hps and dells.

it seems as if a number of yall are just hatin because YOU are the ones that have never really owned a mac, stop running your mouth with biased information when you have no experience with both sides of the competition/argument

sure, macs don't have extremely high security precautions because it's based on a need basis, and when the problems become prevalent, of course they're going to adjust...it's common sense people
laugh.gif

dudes on here salty because they didnt win their MBP on facebook, sad.
Exactly, QFT. I ain't hating on PCs either, I use them for gaming. At the moment, OSX is just rock solid. I laugh at dudes who keep forecasting a gloomy picture for the future of Macs like I should switch back to a PC now so I don't get hit when it does happen that Mac's get viruses. Hey, if and WHEN that actually happens, I'll just switch over to whatever platform is better. But for now, I'm happy with no viruses on OSX. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

Originally Posted by Noskey

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

Originally Posted by WearinTheFourFive

I've had Macs for 10 years, 0 viruses. /Thread.

I've had Windows for 10 years, 0 viruses. \Thread.
BS
eyes.gif

Why do you think that? Unlike a majority of Apple users, I use (a lot of) security programs and avoid malicious sites. Always have, always will. Never downloaded sketchy looking files from file sharing programs when I did that, either.

^ Or I can be careless and come out unscathed. Careless seems easier for me.
and this, my fellow niketalkers is the current american attitude.

well done.

Originally Posted by 36 OUNCES

The reason we don't see more attacks out there compared to Microsoft is because their market share isn't near what Microsoft's is.

I thought this was common knowledge....

Seriously,

At least everyone in the computer science and engineering departments at my school knows this. I remember we had a few discussions between classes about how crappy Apple computers were.

This is why I hope apple doesn't get too big. I like apple as an alternative and a great one at that.

Back
Top Bottom