Menu
ABC News

00:00
Los Angeles Father Charged With Killing Son for Being Gay
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES — Apr 2, 2016, 6:40 AM ET
Email
Star
A man accused of fatally shooting his son outside a home where his wife was found dead has been charged with one count of premeditated murder as a hate crime, with prosecutors alleging he killed his son for being gay.

Shehada Issa, 69, told police he shot his son Amir in self-defense after he discovered his wife's body in their house. An investigation into Issa's wife's death is ongoing.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office said Friday that Issa had previously threatened to kill his 29-year-old son for being gay.

"The murder was committed because of the victim's sexual orientation and because of the defendant's perception of that status and the victims' association with a person and a group of that status," prosecutors said in a statement.

Issa was arrested Tuesday after Los Angeles police officers found his son's body outside their house in the city's North Hills area. Issa's wife was found stabbed to death inside the house.

Detectives said Issa told officers he found his wife's body in a bathroom.

"He claimed (the son) was armed with a knife, and there was no knife to be found (there). It was a horrible family tragedy," Detective John Doerbecker told the Daily News .

Authorities allege the father used a shotgun in the attack on his son, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Doerbecker told the Daily News that there had been problems between the father and son, including the son reportedly vandalizing the home. He said the couple was evicting the son.

Issa was being held without bail pending his arraignment on April 11.

He faces life in prison if convicted of the charge.

thats bad, really bad.

homophobia is just as bad as racism to me

Last edited:
Wouldn't it have been easier for him to just stop talking to him if that is how you felt?

Can't be killing folks man. Dude is a grown man, if that is what he wanted to be, let him be.

How u can take a life u created is beyond me

Man, I know the thread title, article and prosecutors want it to be one way but I can not call it until police figure out who killed the mother.

Not buying in to this being a straight up hate crime murder of your own son when the parents were already evicting the son for vandalizing the home. Now the dad just ups and wants to kill him?

Aint saying he wasn't a bigot and homophobic but something is fishy about the father coming home to find his dead wife and his son allegedly holding a knife. Sound more like he killed his son for killing his wife than killing him for being gay or it could really be self defense and the son was gonna kill his parents for not accepting him.

I need more info.

Last edited:
This is confusing, they just buried the mothers murder like a footnote and focused on homophobia.

Back
Top Bottom